PDA

View Full Version : PC Mag gives Apple's Mac OS X 'Panther' 5 out of 5 in rav...

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2003, 04:11 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: PC Mag gives Apple's Mac OS X 'Panther' 5 out of 5 in rave review! (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1369024,00.asp)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Deggy
Nov 3, 2003, 04:16 PM
Man he thinks the install was slow, when did he last do a compliant Windows install, with all the critical updates applied.

Last one I did took 4 hours, and thats on a 2mb connection so I wasn't waiting for ever for the patches to come down.

Other than that a good review.

leet1
Nov 3, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Deggy
Man he thinks the install was slow, when did he last do a compliant Windows install, with all the critical updates applied.

Last one I did took 4 hours, and thats on a 2mb connection so I wasn't waiting for ever for the patches to come down.

Other than that a good review.

Normal install for windows is 30-40 minutes and with that connection, it shouldn't have taken very long to download less than 50 megs. Just an FYI, ;)

talking windows xp Pro/home here

dombi
Nov 3, 2003, 04:29 PM
Really nice to see the PC world finally being fair, and taking Mac OS seriously. If you are looking for an easy to use, customizable OS, Mac OS is a great pick!

Deggy
Nov 3, 2003, 04:35 PM
Leet1 I know it shouldnt take that long, but it does, I just did one last week with a brand new uptodate copy of xp pro, and it took 4 reboots between installs of the updates when the patches that have to be installed seperately are taken into account.

leet1
Nov 3, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Deggy
Leet1 I know it shouldnt take that long, but it does, I just did one last week with a brand new uptodate copy of xp pro, and it took 4 reboots between installs of the updates when the patches that have to be installed seperately are taken into account.

There is somethign wrong with your computer then. There is no reason it should take 4 hours to install

mac15
Nov 3, 2003, 05:40 PM
Its a damn good review but I hardly think OSX takes long to install myself but 5 out of 5, who cares?

Mr.Hey
Nov 3, 2003, 05:56 PM
Any of you find it funny that PCmag finally (?) gives an Apple product a perfect score and just recently the news about security issues, firewire HD corruption and now filevault glitches making it anything but the perfect score it received (I just hope they don't update their review in light of these newly discovered little bugs ;) )

SiliconAddict
Nov 5, 2003, 12:36 PM
XP without a full format of the drive takes aprox 20 minutes on a relatively new system. Patches takes another 10 if you have SP1 locally which in most cases I do. Doing a full format of the drive obviously various depending on the drive size but my 20GB drive with install takes aprox 45 minutes total with patch installs.

Honesly I have to ask who cares? I mean its 45 minutes for OSX and XP and after that?!!? Its not like you are installing the OS every week.
DON'T SAY IT! I know there is some smart *** Mac user out there thinking it :p ;)

SiliconAddict
Nov 5, 2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
Any of you find it funny that PCmag finally (?) gives an Apple product a perfect score and just recently the news about security issues, firewire HD corruption and now filevault glitches making it anything but the perfect score it received (I just hope they don't update their review in light of these newly discovered little bugs ;) )

No I think Jaguar and Panther are finally the real deal. Sorry but until the announcement of Panther I, and most of the Windows world, didn't give Apple a second glance. OS X is finally hitting its stride. I can't wait to see what .4 brings.