Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Hey macrumors forum!
Ive been on windows since windows 95 all the way through vista, the only one i skipped was windows 20000, and had brief stints with Linux throughout the past few years. I just got a new macbook 2.4ghz penryn in white, with 2gigs of ram and the superdrive. I got it from my campus store, so it came with the Iwork 08 disks for only 30 dollars! It has been absolutely flawless, except for random crashing in Imovie 6 HD (I got it from the apple site) which I guess a few people have experienced, but regardless, I would start it back up and it was fine, it happened twice over three days of editing, no biggie really.

Anyway, I've got a few questions for macbook owners!

question the first:
On the left side of the computer, where all the inputs and outputs are, do your computers have just a tiny bit of flex in the plastic where the two screws are? I get it right where the case meets the palmrest. I get a little squeek I guess, just wanted to know if that was just a general design flaw, I know there isnts much right in that location to keep the plastic too rigid.

also, what is your guys average boot up time? like from when you press the button to the logon screen? Ive got mine now with the adobe suite and some random other programs, nothing too hardcore and I timed mine to be about 42 seconds or so, from button to logon. Just curious as to how good or bad that is.

and finally, being a windows user, its hard to actually break that habit of always shutting down, because sleep mode on windows is very badly designed. But i know on an apple is much better, and a lot of people shut down ONLY at the end of the day, if that! so please, give me some insight as to how you guys generally compute on a daily basis. turn on, sleep at any time until youre done for the whole day, at which point you shut down?

thanks in advance! Im loving OSX, its leagues ahead of Vista in terms of intuitiveness.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I sleep mine by closing the lid. I wake mine by opening the lid. Oh, a neat feature in 10.5 is that you can make a hot spot in the corner to sleep the display only.

Have fun with your new laptop.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
thanks for the response guys, reading over my post I realize I might not have been clear enough. I know how to sleep the mac, its that I wonder how you mac veterans usually go about computing, do you keep putting it sleep it all day till youre ready to shut it down for the night or do you shut down and restart between major (4 or 5 hours) of non use?

thanks!

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
thanks for the response guys, reading over my post I realize I might not have been clear enough. I know how to sleep the mac, its that I wonder how you mac veterans usually go about computing, do you keep putting it sleep it all day till youre ready to shut it down for the night or do you shut down and restart between major (4 or 5 hours) of non use?

thanks!

I'd guess that most people rarely shut it down at all, instead letting it sleep.

gullaa

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
question the first:
On the left side of the computer, where all the inputs and outputs are, do your computers have just a tiny bit of flex in the plastic where the two screws are? I get it right where the case meets the palmrest. I get a little squeek I guess, just wanted to know if that was just a general design flaw, I know there isnts much right in that location to keep the plastic too rigid.

yea i get the little flex on the left side aswell, the macbook i had before did not have that :mad: o well no big deal.

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
just dont sleep it and throw it in your bag =) these bad boys will heat up quick, you'll wake up to a HOTbook, with blazing fans. Not that its happened to me or anything... :D

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
just dont sleep it and throw it in your bag =) these bad boys will heat up quick, you'll wake up to a HOTbook, with blazing fans. Not that its happened to me or anything... :D

well im using this thing primarily at school, and I walk from my room to class back to the dorms, so I shouldnt sleep it put it in a case?

climhazzard85

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
well im using this thing primarily at school, and I walk from my room to class back to the dorms, so I shouldnt sleep it put it in a case?

It is perfectly fine to put it in sleep and put it in a case, I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about. Almost everything but the ram itself is powered off when it is in sleep, it will not heat up unless there is a (really weird) problem with the computer.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
It's won't heat up unless you have a lot of programs running or something when you close the lid. I throw it in my backpack all the time while sleeping.

I've never turned mine off, only restarts when needed.

Lazernet

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Fairfield, NJ
Yes, my macbook has the "flex" between these two screws.... a friend of mine first noticed it as we both bought matching computers from the Apple Store... this must be common with them lately.

As far as sleeping is concerned, don't bother shutting down your machine - sleeping works just fine. Mind you, the new safe sleep (didn't have this new safe sleep on my old powerbook G4 12") takes 40-60 seconds to go to sleep. Possibly less if your not using much ram, but it annoys the heck out of me. Do a quick search and change the "hibernation settings" through terminal and you can have a machine that goes to sleep instantly within 1 second. Much better IMHO.

- Eric

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Those two screws in the area that flexes are purely cosmetic. They don't do a thing, they are just there to match the other side.

mediapirate

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I have a 2.33 C2D and a brand new 2.4 Penryn Macbook. I don't have the flex anywhere near the two screws on the left. I also don't power my systems unless I'm updating system software. The Pro and MB both are cool even inside a hefty back all day in sleep mode.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I've had my new Macbook for little over a week and I just noticed a few days ago the flex thing. Funny that you mentioned it. I'm glad you brought this up as I don't think I would have asked about it.
Boot times seem normal, and sleeping the thing is the way to go. Just make sure that when you do sleep it that you see the little light on the front pulse before moving it around. The light will only pulse when the hard disk has completely spun down. Enjoy your new Macbook!

Mick

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
This is a little off subject, but since we're talking about sleeping macbooks and such, is it safe to basically never unlplug your macbook and just let it sleep and not shut it down. I know you're supposed to shut it down like very month but is that ok for the battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.