Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Esviel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
When the iPhone first came out, i didn't even consider it because of the price. However, I recently came into some money and would like to purchase an iPod Touch (decided that an extra $20/month on my ATT bill wasn't worth it).

I've read numerous reviews saying that the iPod Touch has no notes application, no map, no email, and the inability to edit events from the calender on the device itself, but all these reviews are old, dating back to 2007. Can anyone tell me, as of RIGHT NOW, can the iPod Touch do any or all of these things? This is extremely important to me, as I actually want a PDA. I'd get an iPhone but i can't afford the extra $20/month on my current ATT bill, as I already said.

I will hold off and save up some cash for an iPhone if the iPod Touch doesn't have:

- A notes application where I'd be able to take down extensive notes

- A maps application where I'd be able to type in a place or an address and see a map pop up.

- The ability to create, send, and receive email.

- The ability to edit events on the calender from the device. My microsoft outlook doesn't work so if I can't edit the calendar from the iTouch, then it's useless to me.

These four things are essential to my desire for an iPod touch rather than an iPhone, and with each of these requirements missing, my desire for an iPod Touch will decrease by 25% of that original desire. However, it's hard to find accurate, up-to-date information on the web.

Thanks!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The iPod touch can currently do everything that an iPhone can do, except make phone calls or SMS, or connect to EDGE. However, any future updates that add features will cost money, including access to the App Store in June.

TEG

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
- A notes application where I'd be able to take down extensive notes

- A maps application where I'd be able to type in a place or an address and see a map pop up.

- The ability to create, send, and receive email.

- The ability to edit events on the calender from the device. My microsoft outlook doesn't work so if I can't edit the calendar from the iTouch, then it's useless to me.

It has a notes app.
It has the maps app with a new 'locate me' feature
It can send/recieve/create e-mail from .Mac, Yahoo Mail, Gmail...
You can add calendar events

This is without even thinking about what will happen when we get 3rd party apps this Summer. Massive potential in this device :)

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
The Notes app cannot sync to anything though, just be aware of that. You can however, email your notes.

Esviel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
thanks for all your replies. So basically, the iPod Touch will be a fully functional PDA?, in addition to a portable web browser and music player? are there any limitations that I'm overlooking?

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Don't forget it can be used for Punch-Out! (and countless other NES games)
Forgive the crappy Photobooth picture...
photo5ky6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.