Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I have done some searches, but I have a question about this bag.

I read all the rave reviews about the Ogio Metro and bought one. It arrived today. I really like it, but I noticed that while the front and back of the laptop compartment are well padded, the sides are not at all. All they are are nylon sides. I am concerned about putting my Macbook in there and it taking a direct hit on the side of the bag.

Has anyone else noticed this and if so, how has your experience been with using a MB or MBP in the Ogio Metro?

I have been looking at the incase hardcase for my Macbook which would make me feel a lot more comfortable putting it in there.

My old Ogio Prodigy has a laptop slot inside that is padded on back, bottom, front and sides, but it is 4 years old and the other compartments are lacking space and the strap covers are falling off. The Prodigy also has much more padded straps than any laptop backpack I have found so far.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I've got a Metroid (like the Metro, but bigger), and I haven't had any trouble with it so far.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Does your Metroid have padded sides or is it the same thin material there like the Metro?

I have always been a fan of the Waterfield sleeves from SFbags.com - I wonter if my macbook would fit in the laptop are of the Metro while in one of their sleeves. After all, it is designed for a bigger 15" laptop and this is a small 13".

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Nope, the sides are thin. If you wanted to place it into a sleeve before placing it into the slot (I don't), you could; there's room. Since getting the backpack, though, my sleeve has stayed at home.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
And you never worry that while the top & bottom of the laptop are padded, the sides are unprotected? I guess I'm too paranoid for my own good.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Nope. How exactly would your laptop take a direct hit on the sides without you deliberately striking it in either of those sections? If you're going to worry about something, worry about the laptop taking a hit from the back of the backpack, as it's a dozen more times as likely to suffer damage from landing that way than from landing on the side or front.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Nope. How exactly would your laptop take a direct hit on the sides without you deliberately striking it in either of those sections? If you're going to worry about something, worry about the laptop taking a hit from the back of the backpack, as it's a dozen more times as likely to suffer damage from landing that way than from landing on the side or front.

I'm usually careful when putting down my bag. But when moving around sometimes you can make sudden turns near corners and if too close to the wall corner that side could take a hit.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I see. I don't think that's ever happened to me. However, since the side pockets are wider than the space in which the laptop sits, they would hit the wall first (not to mention your shoulders). Well, good luck with whatever you pick.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Like I said, I'm too paranoid. I'm just gonna move everything over to the Metro this weekend. The hardcase is still an option because of the protection it give outside the bag too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.