Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Convoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
My girlfriend has a 12 inch Powerbook G4. She noticed that the battery life was starting to dwindle. Tonight, she tried using it. It wouldn't power up.

The battery indicator showed one flickering power circle. The adaptor has the green circle on it, indicating the battery has a full charge. However, the computer won't charge up.

I've read the 12 inchers don't have separate PMUs. Could that prevent the machine from starting? She was using it earlier this evening, as she e-mailed me pictures from our vacation.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quint

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Definitely try what TEG said and also try to rotate or put slight pressure on the power plug where it enters the computer. I've seen a number of bad DC-in boards on pbg4s lately. Also, with the battery attached, try putting pressure on the plug (more often than not gently pushing up on it works) until the led band changes from green to amber. This is a good indicator that the DC-in board is bad.

Convoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
She just tried that. Nothing.

We're going to Microcenter this evening to look at laptops for me. We were just going to get a replacement battery to see if that does the trick.

Definitely try what TEG said and also try to rotate or put slight pressure on the power plug where it enters the computer. I've seen a number of bad DC-in boards on pbg4s lately. Also, with the battery attached, try putting pressure on the plug (more often than not gently pushing up on it works) until the led band changes from green to amber. This is a good indicator that the DC-in board is bad.

My last post was in response to TEG's post.

Would the battery being totally run down make the computer not work? She's had the laptop for 3 years without buying a new battery.

Convoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006

Did you do the COPS reset, instead of just the PRAM reset?

TEG

What is the COPS reset?

-OK, my girlfriend tried the COPS reset. Nothing. The light is still green on the A/C adaptor, and the computer won't power up. The last light on the battery indicator flickers.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
She just tried that. Nothing.

We're going to Microcenter this evening to look at laptops for me. We were just going to get a replacement battery to see if that does the trick.

If it won't start up with the adapter plugged in and without a battery, then I don't think you have a battery issue...

Does the screen light up at all when you turn it on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.