PDA

View Full Version : All-SCSI PC in search of loving home

alex_ant
May 4, 2002, 03:44 AM
Greetings!

Want an all-SCSI PC? $150 or best offer (I could be persuaded to go lower fairly easily) will get you:

- Full-tower ATX case, 250w power supply, chassis fan
- AMD K6-2 550MHz
- 256MB PC133 SDRAM (two 128MB DIMMs; one slot free)
- Tyan Trinity S1598 socket 7 motherboard
- Tekram DC-390F ultra-wide PCI SCSI controller (Symbios 53C875 chipset; 1 internal and 1 external 68-pin ultra-wide port, 1 internal 50-pin port)
- 9.1GB 7200 rpm IBM Ultrastar 18ES (Ultra2-wide SCSI, 2MB cache)
- 4.5GB 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda (Ultra-wide SCSI) (forgot the model & specs - ask)
- Ricoh MP7060S 24x6x4 CD-RW drive (SCSI)
- Matrox Millennium G400 AGP video card, 16MB SGRAM
- Hauppauge WinTV PCI TV tuner card (stereo, composite/RF/s-video/FM radio inputs, audio line in/out - bt878 chipset)
- Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet card
- ReakTek 8029 Ethernet card (10BaseT/AUI)
- Sound Blaster Live! Value
- Texas Instruments IEEE1394 card (2 external, 1 internal port)
- Floppy drive, keyboard, 3-button mouse
- various manuals, cables etc.

This computer is 100% compatible with Linux and BeOS (well, the sound card is flakey in BeOS). I've tried installing Win98 on it (don't ask) and it was an utter nightmare. Never tried NT or XP. Any of the free BSDs would work great as well. This computer makes a great server - don't let the AMD CPU and VIA chipset fool you, it is solid as a rock and I've regularly had uptimes of several months between power failures or upgrades/part swaps running Linux. It also makes a surprisingly snappy workstation - the SCSI is a dream for heavy multitasking, large transfers, CD burning, etc. In Linux, even under very heavy loads, it feels much faster than my G4/550. The G400 gives superb 2D performance - scroll a huge image with the display set to 1600x1200 and there is almost no choppiness whatsoever. OK, sales pitch over.

I want to get rid of this machine because 1) I have no use for it anymore, 2) it takes up too much space, and 3) it uses too much energy. I don't want to put it on eBay because I might as well just throw it in the dumpster, the market there is so saturated. PM me or reply in this thread if you're interested.

Cheers,
Alex

alex_ant
May 13, 2002, 10:09 PM
Come on now. Surely there must be someone interested in this fine piece of work. I know this is a Mac forum, but really!

Backtothemac
May 13, 2002, 10:16 PM
Dude, really, I want it. I need to have a machine like that for my wife. Right now I am cash strapped. Can you give me a few weeks to get the dough together? Please? She is a senior at the University of Alabama in Interior Design and has to run autocad. We cannot afford a new system, but that will run it really well!

OG please let this work out!