PDA

View Full Version : Podcast - picking up where I stopped it

iaddict
Mar 20, 2008, 06:46 AM
I haven't figured out how I can listen to a podcast, stop it sometime before it's over and then pick back up when I go back to it. I turn off the iPod when I'm done and when I turn it back on , it goes right back to where I was, but, I can't get it to play or I don't hear the sound when it restarts at the stopping point. The only way I've gotten back to that point is to go back in the Menu, choose the podcast again, then fast forward to the place I left off. Surely, there's an easier way to do this that I'm unaware of??

aross99
Mar 20, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thats strange. My iPods have always picked up right where you left off. In fact if you sync again, the play point also syncs with iTunes and any other devices, so I can switch from say my iPhone to my Apple TV.

I know there is a video setting in my iPhone that allows me to choose if videos play back from where I left off, or from the beginning. Have you checked the settings on your iPod for something similar?

Any chance this is an issue with one specific episode of your podcast - I mean does it happen with all of them?

iaddict
Mar 20, 2008, 09:00 AM
Yes, it happens every time I stop listening to a podcast and want to start it back up. It may appear that it is playing but I have no sound coming through the headphones.

Sherman Homan
Mar 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
You are probably playing a .mp3 pod cast. The bells and whistles only happen with .m4a files.

aross99
Mar 20, 2008, 10:06 AM
You are probably playing a .mp3 pod cast. The bells and whistles only happen with .m4a files.

So the "resume where you left off" is affected by the podcast file format? Is it actually stored in the file? I guess that would explain how it syncs then!

iaddict
Mar 20, 2008, 07:16 PM
Alright, I'm not extremely tech savy so...I changed all of the podcasts to MP3 in order to sync it with my iPod. So is there some other way to sync the podcasts so that I can resume where I left off? I need a little insight about what I'm doing. I know enough to change things and probably mess everything up.

aross99
Mar 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
All of the Podcasts I get come form iTunes, and are in the M4a format. Where do you get your from? I have not tried this with regular MP3 files...

Can you try downloading one from iTunes?

iaddict
Mar 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
The podcasts haven't been downloaded through iTunes, so some are already in an MP3 format. I did have a few that were in the M4a format but I really don't remember what I did. I think I may have just gone back to the website where I downloaded it and found another way to get it in the MP3 format.

So, here's the problem for me - if I have it in iTunes in a M4a format, I wasn't able to get it to sync to my iPod. So, the way I understand it here is if it's in a M4a format, I can pick up right where I left off? If so, how do I get it to sync to my iPod?

Thanks for your patience. I am relatively new to this technology.