PDA

View Full Version : ibook on ebay, is this a good deal?

markjones05
Nov 3, 2003, 10:28 PM
i found this iBook on ebay. basically im just looking for a laptop to travel with two and from school. MD to NY. Just need it to do basic things like internet, music, papers, and dvds. is this good for me? let me know what you guys think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3438691907&category=177

and what is tat thing connected to it?

Giaguara
Nov 3, 2003, 10:33 PM
that looks fine for your needs.

(be careful on ebay).

markjones05
Nov 3, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara
that looks fine for your needs.

(be careful on ebay).

This is my first time using ebay can u give me any pointers or things to watch out for so that i know if it is a scam. Or what to look for to make sure its the real deal.

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2003, 11:36 PM
$332.00 usd is not a bad deal at all for a rev a icebook

GeeYouEye
Nov 3, 2003, 11:41 PM
For that cheap? I'd worry. Looks good for your described needs though.

5300cs
Nov 3, 2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Yeah, but it doesn't come with anything but the machine itself & the AC adapter. No manuals, no CDs, no box. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?

whocares
Nov 3, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 5300cs
No manuals, no CDs, no box. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?

Like it's fallen of the back of a truck? No CDs/manuals don't sound too good to me.

But then again I may just be paranoid :p

5300cs
Nov 3, 2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by whocares
Like it's fallen of the back of a truck? No CDs/manuals don't sound too good to me.

I don't like it either. You'd think a Mac user would keep all the pieces together (I always do.) I just got done reading all 8 (?) pages of Ebay frauds on MacInTouch.com so I'm pretty paranoid too.

5300cs
Nov 3, 2003, 11:59 PM

I don't like it either. You'd think a Mac user would keep all the pieces together (I always do.) I just got done reading all 8 (?) pages of Ebay frauds on MacInTouch.com so I'm pretty paranoid too.

Thought if it fell off the back of a truck, I think the seller would've been more fortunate to find a 17" PowerBook or something like that ;)

whocares
Nov 4, 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 5300cs
Thought if it fell off the back of a truck, I think the seller would've been more fortunate to find a 17" PowerBook or something like that ;)

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on the point of view) you can't always choose exactly what falls of the back of a truck... I personnaly would like a 2GHZ G5 w/ dual 23" Cinema displays to fall of a truck right in front of me, but I don't have my hopes up too high :p :p

No, I don't steal computers. I was thinking of the gift of god sorta deal ;)

zimv20
Nov 4, 2003, 12:05 AM
I personnaly would like a 2GHZ G5 w/ dual 23" Cinema displays to fall of a truck right in front of me

happened to me last week. shame i couldn't stop in time.

;-)

whocares
Nov 4, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
happened to me last week. shame i couldn't stop in time.

I feel your pain.:D

mislabeledstar
Nov 4, 2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye

don't forget it still has over 3 days left to be bidded on and probably will rise in price quite a bit

Originally posted by markjones05
and what is tat thing connected to it?

thats the power supply cable...... apple makes everything nice n different..... even power cords

Foxer
Nov 4, 2003, 08:47 AM
As long as there aren't abnormal payment demands and they're in the U.S., I wouldn't worry. Basically, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. A simple bargain isn't too good to be true. A G5 with iPod and Cinema display for $1100 IS too good to be true.

Also, as someone who has sold four macs on eBay, I can tell you that the price will rise on the last day of the auction, sometimes by quite a bit.

5300cs
Nov 4, 2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Foxer
...A G5 with iPod and Cinema display for $1100 IS too good to be true...

I saw a Dual G5, w/ 23" Cinema display, AppleCare & a 30gig iPod for $1700 the other day on eBay. Wonder if that was a scam? :rolleyes: :D

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2003, 08:59 AM
i think the extremely reasonable prices of a NEW g4 ibook (under eleven hundred with combo drive!) on the market has really diminished the price of any g3 ibook in existence...especially one as old as a rev a icebook

my rev a clamshell is prolly worth less than three hundred dollars, cd rom drive only and no firewire or ability to run jaguar due to low ram max limit of 160 sdram