PDA

View Full Version : My Sony Erricson T610/T616 review.

MacAztec
Nov 3, 2003, 10:51 PM
I bought the Sony T610 with T-Mobile plan a few weeks ago. Great plan...39.99 a month, 1000 anytime minutes, free night&weekend, tzones too.

Cool little phone. A little small, numbers on the keypad a little close together. Nice screen, but sucked ass outside. Now, heres the bad part. HORRIBLE reception. 0 bars everywhere in and around my house.

2/4 or 3/4 bars at school. Really bad.

It was nice having a camera, but it took bad photos. Bluetooth was cool too, but hell, I don't need to sync my phone every day.

Now, I just (about an hour ago) traded it in for the Samsung SGH-E105. This phone kicks ass!

I get 3/6 bars reception in my house, and 5 or 6/6 outside. Nicer screen too. Much easier on the eyes. The phone is lighter, and I like having the clock on the outside of the phone.

It does not have bluetooth, or a camera, but I don't really care. The camera was useless, and bluetooth was cool, but I do have a data cable, so it doesn't matter.

iJon
Nov 3, 2003, 11:17 PM
reception on phones is a bad thing to review on. i have the same phone and i have always found reception. it all depends on location.

iJon

MacAztec
Nov 3, 2003, 11:26 PM
It would be bad if I didn't try out another phone on the same network. I am comparing the T610 to the Samsung, and the Samsung's reception is far better then that of the Sony.

The only thing that sucks is I cannot get my old names into this new phone. Anyone know how I would go about doing this? I could buy a Data cable (the one I thought would work is for Motorolas). They are like 30$!

Could I like upload em on a certain website, then have my phone DL em into memory?

ibookin'
Nov 4, 2003, 01:36 AM
T-Mobile. Eh. I love the looks and form factor of the SE T610, but T-Mobiles service is notoriously subpar without having the added burden of the poor reception on the T610. My experiences with other peoples T-Mobile phones have been bad in my area, but if it works where you live, go for it. They certainly have much nicer handsets and cheaper plans than my provider of choice (Verizon).

Looking at the E105, it looks like an extremely nice phone. Glad to hear you're liking it.

iJon: When I look for a phone, I like to know about the reception compared to other phones in the same area, same provider. Whatever the cell companies tell you, there is a real difference between the phones currently on the market, as MacAztec has found out.

EDIT: My new object of lust on Verizon is the Samsung SCH-A790, which works on BOTH CDMA 1xRTT and GSM/GPRS networks, and has a camera and MMS. Who knows when it'll be out, though, and how much it'll cost... :(

Shifty
Nov 4, 2003, 01:57 PM
I think I'll stick with purchasing a Nokia, although, I might consider this option.

WinterMute
Nov 4, 2003, 02:13 PM
I have a T610 on Orange here in the UK, and I haven't had any problems with reception at all, the camera is a bit dodgy, but I have a Fuji Finepix if I need to take pictures, this is a phone...;)

The Bluetooth implementation is very nice, it allows iCal and Address Book files to be read effortlessly, even if all-day events don't show up.

Battery life is good, and the games are a laugh. I'm very pleased with it overall, considering I paid zip for it AND Orange gave me 30 for my old Nokia.

edesignuk
Nov 4, 2003, 02:16 PM
I just got mine a couple of days ago. I'm on Vodafone in the UK, signal strenth is excellent, features are great. And it's just the right size. best mobile I've had in ages!

idkew
Nov 4, 2003, 05:36 PM
The GSM networks in Europe are amazingly better than the ones in the US from what I hear.

pepeleuepe
Nov 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
I just purchased a T610 about two weeks ago. So far the reception has been perfectly fine. I live in Los Angeles, so reception around the city usually isn't a problem. I've also gone on two road trips with it and always have had very good service (better than I get in my house) away from home.

Another thing I've noticed is that this phone seems to provide clearer calls with less service than my old Nokia. I can have two bars of service and still make a crystal clear call.

So far I'm satisfied with my purchase and would encourage anyone to try the phone out, if it doesn't work for you, simply return it.

electric
Nov 4, 2003, 07:16 PM
The only thing that sucks is I cannot get my old names into this new phone. Anyone know how I would go about doing this? I could buy a Data cable (the one I thought The only thing that sucks is I cannot get my old names into this new phone. Anyone know how I would go about doing this? I could buy a Data cable (the one I thought would work is for Motorolas). They are like 30$!

Did you have a sim card with the Sony, should be able to pop out and pop into new phone.

joeyjojoe
Nov 4, 2003, 08:19 PM
anyone know how to make/get free ring tones for the t-616? i'm hoping for the mario brothers theme or something equally old-skool nerdy. i tried making the midi myself, but that is too difficult for me to do without losing interest.

edesignuk
Nov 4, 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
anyone know how to make/get free ring tones for the t-616? i'm hoping for the mario brothers theme or something equally old-skool nerdy. i tried making the midi myself, but that is too difficult for me to do without losing interest.
http://www.polyphonicringtonez.com/ - All you pay for is the time you spend on WAP to download them. You browse the website to get the code, then go to the WAP site to get them. It only takes about 30secs to get a tune on WAP once you've decided on one from the web site, so it hardly costs a penny.

mattroberts
Nov 5, 2003, 11:33 AM
Comparing the t610 to the t616 is not a fair comparison. They are essentially very different phones in the North American markets.

Both are triband. The T610 in north America only gets the 1900Mhz Band But the t616 takes advantage of the extra NorthAmerican Band to increase Signal strength(850 mhz)

IN europe the t610 would get 900 and 1800 both Very prevalent in Euro/asia GSM markets Neither exist in NOrth America.

Tmobile only uses the 1900mhz band while CIngular and I believe ATT Wireless (i'm canadian we get both 850/1900 from rogers and only 1900 on fido) use the two bands, which you would recieve on the t616.

Complaining about signal is unfair because essentially your using 1/3 of the available rf options on the phone and saying its a bad phone. Using the t616 (as i do) which has both NorthAmer options is brilliant.

I used the T68i before (along with an r380w) which was limited to only the 1900 band in Canada (on rogers) the service sucked royally, the t616 has never in the last 6 weeks of ownership dropped a call, and that driving through several tunnels.

the t616 is the best phone i've ever owned but without the 850mhz i would probably agree its crap. No one in North America should by a T610 unless they spend mounds of time in Europe or in major cities.

EDIT - you can get ringtones/themes etc. at http://www.myt610.net/

cheers
matt

Krazy4mac
Nov 11, 2003, 10:55 PM
Is there a way to get my Ringtones that i D/L onto my T610 Phone?
i dont have Bluetooth, I just got a USB Data cable for my phone but the software it came with only works on PC not MAC. Can anyone help me here?

How can i use my data cable and upload the ringtones??

please LMk thanks

G4scott
Nov 11, 2003, 11:50 PM
I'm just waiting for Sprint to introduce a phone with bluetooth. There's supposed to be a Sony-Erricson sprint phone coming out soon. I just hope it's not one of those $600 PDA phones... I just want a nice little phone with bluetooth. A camera would be nice, but I'd rather get a good digital camera for that...

patrick0brien
Nov 18, 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by idkew
The GSM networks in Europe are amazingly better than the ones in the US from what I hear.

-idkew

Yes, the node (tower) density in Europe, UK, and Asia is about 3x that of the States, even in major metro area - though this is constantly in progress.

The S/E's however, are made for denser node counts however, and have a smaller antenna solenoid - and therefore reception more prone to being spotty, and the need to use the 850mhz band in North America versus the world standard 900mhz band.

Nokia considered this and oversized the solenoid for some phones in North America.

acarboni
Dec 5, 2003, 03:46 AM
Hate to beat a dead horse re: reception, but it really does depend on provider and location.

Here in Orlando it is well-known to stay away from T-Mobile, as their reception is notoriously bad.

My T616 on the AT&T network gets great reception and sound quality. But I will say it is lower than some of the other phones AT&T offers. It seems like all the 't' phones (68i, 226, 610, etc.) give a little in the reception area in exchange for lots of features at a low price point.

Overall, I have to say my experience with the phone is exceedingly positive.

PieMac
Dec 5, 2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
I'm just waiting for Sprint to introduce a phone with bluetooth. There's supposed to be a Sony-Erricson sprint phone coming out soon. I just hope it's not one of those $600 PDA phones... I just want a nice little phone with bluetooth. A camera would be nice, but I'd rather get a good digital camera for that...

I, too, am with Sprint and am hoping for a Mac compatible, bluetooth phone. I currently have the Samsung A460 and I like it, but I can't synch it to iCal or Address book or anything else.

The phone model in question is the T608 and the current rumors indicate possible release for this month.

I received this reply from Sony Ericsson yesterday:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sony Ericsson Online Support.

At the present time we are going through carrier acceptance for this phone model. When it is accepted, we will have launch information on our web site. Please feel free to check www.sonyericsson.com for upcoming product launch and product information.

Best regards,

Sony Ericsson Online Support

Go here (http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=start) for info on the phone and keep your fingers crossed!

nspeds
Dec 5, 2003, 07:57 AM
The T610 rocks, the only problem is that I feel the software is a little unstable, but thats all.

I'm shifting to a P800 next week so I'm happy anyways:)!!!

FunkyGuitarGirl
Dec 31, 2003, 03:54 AM
I had e-mailed Sprint regarding their release of a BlueTooth phone and got the same story...yeah yeah it's coming... in the interim, Sprint has fitty two million camera phones... If I want to take pictures, I will get a DIGITAL CAMERA...what I would like, it to be able to sync my phone with my computer so that I do not lose all of my numbers (this has happned two times with other phones).... I would also like to use my phone as a TRULY wireless modem...

I LOVE that the scripts for using Sprint phones as a modem are built into OSX...

Anyway, I may e-mail sprint again...since their service is lackluster at best, one would think that they would focus on what they are really good at...releasing the coolest phones.

PieMac
Dec 31, 2003, 07:33 AM
The SE T608 is out but available by phone sales only. It came out right before Christmas. In fact, I purchased it and then wound up dropping Sprint as my carrier (enough is enough) and going with the SE T610 and TMobile (which I am extremely pleased with, I might add...great service and phone!) :)

I have my SE T608 up for auction on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068558351&category=15042&rd=1) .

Go to this
site (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) for more info. If it weren't for this website, I would have never known it had been released. They've provided excellent coverage and have lobbied heavily for it.

There are only 10,000 produced and I was told by Sprint that they were selling 5000 to the public and retaining the other 5000 for replacement phones and the like.

pyrotoaster
Dec 31, 2003, 10:28 AM
It's really hard to judge service in general. For instance, where I live AT&T is considered the company to stay away from.

I like Sprint's service, and they do seems to have a fairly simple price structure (not cheap, but simple), but I just can't get past their limited phone selection. A Sony Erricson from them would be great.

BTW, if anyone lives in the Chicago-area and has a cell phone service reccomendation - or rant - I'm looking for it in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53177) thread. (Sorry to go a bit off topic)

g00gander
Jan 30, 2004, 04:36 AM
I've got a T610. Its sound quality is great. Plus I use the Bluetooth with my Powerbook so that I have access to the Net from anyplace I have cell phone service.

I'm using T-Mobile. The T-Zones plan is only $10 more per month and gives me unlimited Net access via GPRS.

I am my own mobile hotspot.

The camera quality is not great but all and all I love the phone, if not for the BlueTooth modem adapter alone.

noel4r
Jan 30, 2004, 09:04 AM
i bought a T610 from T-Mobile but i had to return it coz they didn't have any towers where i work so i couldn't get any signal at all. i thought it was a great phone, it has a lot of features and it's so easy to navigate around. i wanted to keep the phone but needed a signal at work. what i did is i got a T616 from AT&T Wireless, got a signal where i work so everything turned out fine.

selloutvixen
Feb 6, 2004, 01:30 PM
I work for cingular wireless in new england. We carry the ericsson t616.

With the exception of the T616, I've seen nothing but ericssons come in for defectiveness and repair in past few months. Basically the only reason anyone is purchasing it is for the bluetooth. Granted we have the SiemensS56 and the Nokia3600 that both have bluetooth as well, but everyone who seems to care about bluetooth (geeks) want the ericsson.

The camera is useless. I personally have the motorola v400 which has decent resolution for a camera phone (640X480), but it still has no flash. It's pretty good about using whatever light it can, but that can only take you so far. It's cool for the picture caller ID, but I wouldn't use it for anything other than that. If you want a digital camera, BUY ONE.

Don't blame the signal on the phone.. completely. Yes, there's slight differences for signal between phones, but it's mostly because T-Mobile's GSM network is lacking. I had T-Mobile for a year, but when I wouldn't get service in downtown Boston, I had to cancel when my contract was up. IMHO, Cingular's network is MUCH better in comparison. This is coming from someone whose job it is to compare service providers. I'm not saying we surpass Verizon (CDMA), but we're definitely kicking butt in GSM.

Getting Ericssons repaired is a nightmare, so don't drop it.