PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft blames users for security flaws again...

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2003, 11:47 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft blames users for security flaws again... (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12463)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

1macker1
Nov 4, 2003, 08:15 AM
He's probbably right. Most people dont know squat about firewalls. They should ship Windows with the feature turned on. (which i think they do know)

edesignuk
Nov 4, 2003, 08:38 AM
You know, I think I'd have to agree with him as well.

ALoLA
Nov 4, 2003, 12:53 PM
People may not know about firewalls and the like, but Micros**t is just as culpable for the problems, if not more so. Can the user patch problems for which no patch exists? Can the user fix a vulnerability with a patch that fails to address the problem? "Responsibility" is the keyword here, and Billy boy is just passing the buck.

1macker1
Nov 4, 2003, 01:20 PM
the article clearly states that most of the Hacks we due to people not having the latest update and not having their firewall turned on. MS can't make anyone download a patch or turn on the firewall.
Originally posted by ALoLA
People may not know about firewalls and the like, but Micros**t is just as culpable for the problems, if not more so. Can the user patch problems for which no patch exists? Can the user fix a vulnerability with a patch that fails to address the problem? "Responsibility" is the keyword here, and Billy boy is just passing the buck.

bousozoku
Nov 4, 2003, 03:13 PM
Even if someone used a firewall, they would need to open the Windows Update port and thus, create a hole. Considering everything little hidden thing that Windows does requires another little hole, it shouldn't be too long before a properly secured machine looks like Swiss cheese.

It would seem, though according to Bill Gates, that everything points away from Microsoft for some reason. If Windows had reasonably close to perfect code, I'd have more faith in it being everyone else's problem.

edesignuk
Nov 4, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Even if someone used a firewall, they would need to open the Windows Update port and thus, create a hole.
Erm...windows update is just a website you visit and download from (AFAIK), how is this creating a hole?

grapes911
Nov 4, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Even if someone used a firewall, they would need to open the Windows Update port and thus, create a hole. Considering everything little hidden thing that Windows does requires another little hole, it shouldn't be too long before a properly secured machine looks like Swiss cheese.

Windows update is done though port 80. I highly doubt anyone blocks 80.

If a windows user uses a firewall (and not the one in windows, but rather norton, etc), installs all the patches, and doesn't use outlook, they are pretty secure.

edesignuk
Nov 4, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by grapes911
Windows update is done though port 80. I highly doubt anyone blocks 80.

If a windows user uses a firewall (and not the one in windows, but rather norton, etc), installs all the patches, and doesn't use outlook, they are pretty secure.
...and has GOOD, UP to DATE antivirus ;)