PDA

View Full Version : macs and time travel


jefhatfield
May 4, 2002, 10:13 AM
actually, none of my "macs and" posts ever had anything to do with macs...he he

now that i got on this star trek ans science kick, thanks ensign paris, i was wondering

"is time travel possible?"

"and if so, could you travel into the past and change history?"

"would that mean that captain kirk could actually make out with chicks from the past, present and future?"

britboy
May 4, 2002, 10:25 AM
Time travel. Now there's a thought. You could try going forward in time to just after the next macworld, and then come back and tell the rest of us what to expect :p


Or perhaps, a la Futurama: "I'm my own grandfather!" :D :D

Ensign Paris
May 4, 2002, 10:55 AM
Time Travel is possible, but you would be in violation of the Temporal Time Directive.

I know what is going to happen, well kind of not!

LOVE LIVE MAC! LONG LIVE LCARS!

Ensign

stromie952
May 4, 2002, 10:56 AM
If Star Trek and other science fiction masterpieces have taught me anything, is that time travel will be an integral part of our future. ;)

If Hollywood tells the truth like I think they do, movies like Back to the Future prove without a doubt that time travellers can and do change the future.

And yes, Captain Kirk could make out with chicks from the past, present anfd future.
"Where....are....we? Oh....who....cares....as....long....as....there....
are....beautiful....aliens....to....make....out
....with."
:D

3rdpath
May 4, 2002, 01:25 PM
the peabody and sherman wayback machine? of course, you could only go back in time( and forward to the present...) but sunday morning cartoons were never more fun. that was some " serious" time travel.

and how come no one ever goes back to visit themselves? its already occured, so are you just superimposed with the old you like on a film? what if the old you were on the toilet and the new you went back to the same time-only in picadilly square-would the old you be moved butt abreeze to picadilly square? or would the old you just disappear? would you ever get to go to the bathroom?

something to think about:D

eyelikeart
May 4, 2002, 01:39 PM
I wish time travel were possible...

there are so many things in history I'd love to have seen...

which makes me think I should start my own thread on this...he he he

thanks jef! :p

Durandal7
May 4, 2002, 04:48 PM
Travelling back in time may be possible but if you tamper with anything you aren't changing the future but spawning an alternate universe. Changing the future wouldn't work, you would only create a copy of the future. As for traveling forward in time, we do it all the time. Time is a side effect of movement. If you were to travel very fast then the time would move differently for you and you would have gone forward in time. Of course this is all theroretical physics :D .

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by asurace
Travelling back in time may be possible but if you tamper with anything you aren't changing the future but spawning an alternate universe. Changing the future wouldn't work, you would only create a copy of the future. As for traveling forward in time, we do it all the time. Time is a side effect of movement. If you were to travel very fast then the time would move differently for you and you would have gone forward in time. Of course this is all theroretical physics :D .

You're just explaining the many universe theory, which isn't accepted universally.

Some researchers are doing work with moving protons around in time, and the basic premise is requires huge amounts of energy, more than we could gernerate to move anything larger. So until we learn to harness the energy of the sun, we're stuck in the present.

The one thing you could do is travel into the future, this would be a one way trip, but if you get close to the speed of light, your time, as observed from someone else, slows down. You won't age, but ages will pass around you. Very weird and very cool.

Durandal7
May 9, 2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


You're just explaining the many universe theory, which isn't accepted universally.


Exactly why I said "theroretical".

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 08:45 PM
i hear time travel is only possible after the year or time that time travel is a reality. no one can go back to before the time.... time travel was started.

there has to be a beacon of some sort.... i hear.

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
i hear time travel is only possible after the year or time that time travel is a reality. no one can go back to before the time.... time travel was started.

there has to be a beacon of some sort.... i hear.

You hear? This sounds more like speculation than anything, if you can find something on this specifically I'd love to read it. But even if it was true, what does the beacon do? Set up some sort of temporal homing singal so you know when to travel to? It seems that you would have to know how to travel in time in order to know that you need a beacon.

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 08:52 PM
based on krossfyter's other recent posts on other threads... i think he's on something. haha. plus in his profile it says something like he's into existentialism through bong water or something like that....

time travel is a good topic of discussion when you're high i bet....

booyah

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 08:53 PM
i heard it from the people who are actually really close to making time travel a reality so they are heavily involved in such. saw it on tech tv.

also...im simply saying that one cant go back into time before time travel was not discovered. impossible it seems to them.

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
based on krossfyter's other recent posts on other threads... i think he's on something. haha. plus in his profile it says something like he's into existentialism through bong water or something like that....

time travel is a good topic of discussion when you're high i bet....

booyah


hah.

its.... im into " studying people practicing existentialism through bong water."


im alive and un drugged seven years and counting!!

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter

hah.

its im into " studying people practicing existentialism through bong water."

ahhhh. i read it as "studying people. practicing...."

big difference clearly. weird how i added that period in there.

but still, i don't know how else to explain your weirdness.... unless you're tired. or. a freak of nature... haha.

it's cool. fonz.

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 09:03 PM
well let me help you out a little with why i may be so wierd to ya...


im an aritist.


that about does it ...right?:D

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
well let me help you out a little with why i may be so wierd to ya...


im an aritist.


that about does it ...right?:D

well technically i'm an "artist"... as in filmmaker/animator/computer artist... but i'm not THAT weird... well, maybe i am. i just thought there weren't other freaks out there like me

good to see there are though! ha

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 10:04 PM
we're all freaks, to a certain point. Some are just better at showing it, others deny it, and those are the ones to worry about.:D

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 10:09 PM
yeah, but some people are massive freaks.

my brother is for instance. he's 29 (old in relation to myself and next older brother) and yet he acts like an absolute 5 year old. everything from farting to winking at me in weird ways. it's funny, of course. but he's just a massive freak. in the off chance that he actually reads this.... "bounce with me don't bounce against me" gelbin.

eyelikeart
May 19, 2002, 10:11 PM
the only thing in my life that I regret having not done was to go to Savannah College of Art & Design when I got out of high school...

but I rebelled...acted like a dumb@ss...was young of course...but still...

however...I am very pleased with my life presently...not to sound like I'm bragging, but I honestly do have a lot going for me at this point...and I'm having more fun then I've ever been able to in the past...

I'm just looking forward to the future while having a firm grip on the here & now... ;)

iGav
May 20, 2002, 12:21 PM
Why hasn't anyone come back in time before then???? :confused:

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 01:06 PM
One of my favorite theories is that the 'aliens' that we keep seeing are actually humans from the future, hanging around so things don't get totally screwed up. Look at the phenotypes - head, arms and legs, all the right pieces parts.

Just fun speculation....

krossfyter
May 20, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
Why hasn't anyone come back in time before then???? :confused:

they couldnt. you can only can back into the time that time travel was initiated. the beacon thing again. you cant go back in time to when it wasnt discovered or initiated.

that was my whole point.

mcrain
May 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
well let me help you out a little with why i may be so wierd to ya...


im an aritist.


that about does it ...right?:D

An Artist in Kingsville Tennessee? Don't you get tired of painting portraits, I mean, everyone looks alike. Family resemblence and all.

You could probably paint the exact same picture over and over and just put different names on the bottom. This here's Cleetus, and this here's his uncle Blu, they call him Blu cause of his resemblence to his Great, great auntie Benjamina Maple Blue, who you can see is this here group portrait of the whole Blue clan, which you shouldn't get confused with the Tucket clan, even though half of the members are the same.

[I'm kidding of course]

krossfyter
May 20, 2002, 02:35 PM
nah mcrain... i reside in texas.

but i hear ya...thats pretty funny....or better yet...that pretty funny der!



actually thats the kinda art i hate. my paintings are too controversial for most people to hang on thier walls.



:D

pc_convert?
May 20, 2002, 03:12 PM
I don't believe time travel is possible.

Time is an abstract thing, the past and future have no physical reality.

A good explanation can be found
here. (http://home1.gte.net/res02khr/crackpots/notorious.htm)

It made sense to me...

agreenster
May 20, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
well let me help you out a little with why i may be so wierd to ya...


im an aritist.


that about does it ...right?:D

No, not really. Im an artist, yet Im very very very normal.

Plain and simple, time travel isnt, and never will be possible. That very notion is absolutely absurd. Its certainly great movie material, but its an absolutely ridiculous notion.

The proof that time travel is not possible is simple: If time travel were possible, some idiot would certainly get ahold of it, go back in time, and commit murder or some other thing to tamper with the future. If this person did enough damage, he or she could theorhetically destroy the world by tamering with the whold space-time continuum thing. Well, since we are all here, alive and breathing, it obviously will never (and never did) happen.

Plus, I know for sure I personally will never time travel. I always promised myself that if I ever did travel through time, I would write a letter to myself on my sixteenth birthday, and deliver it into my mailbox. Well, I didnt get that letter, so I'll never freely travel through time as far as I know it.

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
I don't believe time travel is possible.

Time is an abstract thing, the past and future have no physical reality.

A good explanation can be found
here. (http://home1.gte.net/res02khr/crackpots/notorious.htm)

It made sense to me...

Ah, isn't the internet great! Listing that group of scientist as notorious crackpots is not even worth comment. Its well known that we don't know how to travel in time, its all theory, but to just say its all a scheme by reknowned scientist is silly.

Don't believe everything you read.

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by agreenster

Plus, I know for sure I personally will never time travel. I always promised myself that if I ever did travel through time, I would write a letter to myself on my sixteenth birthday, and deliver it into my mailbox. Well, I didnt get that letter, so I'll never freely travel through time as far as I know it.

Ah, but you're forgetting about the Time Police who prevent things like this from happening.....

They go back to get you before you can place the letter, and now your future self is locked away in prison for committing a temporal felony:D

agreenster
May 20, 2002, 03:43 PM
Somebody watches too much TV.

But, if that is the case, maybe Ill learn my lesson now and not do anything bad in the future--er, I mean past--er, I mean.....

*****.

See why this isnt possible?

:)

mcrain
May 20, 2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
nah mcrain... i reside in texas.

but i hear ya...thats pretty funny....or better yet...that pretty funny der!

actually thats the kinda art i hate. my paintings are too controversial for most people to hang on thier walls.

:D

Really, I'd love to see your work. Maybe some of the people I know would be interested in taking a look at it, or if nothing else, I might be interested in a piece.

I'm assuming you do sculpture or paint. If I'm wrong and you do computer artistry or industrial design, then, I'd still like ot see it.

Oh, and by the way, me and the lil lady are movin down to Taxes too! (pun intended)

iGav
May 20, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter


they couldnt. you can only can back into the time that time travel was initiated. the beacon thing again. you cant go back in time to when it wasnt discovered or initiated.

that was my whole point.

That defeats the point of a time machine though doesn't it.....?? how do we know that in 2525 that time machines do not exist?? if so, they could come back and visit us in 2002....... the same could be said of say people in 1960, if someone went back to visit them in 1960.... time machines didn't exist then and the notion of the future to the people of 1960 is exactly the same as it is now...... unwritten......

krossfyter
May 20, 2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by agreenster


No, not really. Im an artist, yet Im very very very normal.




my guess is that you are an "isolated case"




dig it!

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
That defeats the point of a time machine though doesn't it.....?? how do we know that in 2525 that time machines do not exist?? if so, they could come back and visit us in 2002....... the same could be said of say people in 1960, if someone went back to visit them in 1960.... time machines didn't exist then and the notion of the future to the people of 1960 is exactly the same as it is now...... unwritten......

Temporal Paradox will screw with your minds, best not to go down that road. That's why its so easy to follow the Many Universe model, it gets rid of the paradoxes (sp?)

krossfyter
May 20, 2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mcrain


Really, I'd love to see your work. Maybe some of the people I know would be interested in taking a look at it, or if nothing else, I might be interested in a piece.

I'm assuming you do sculpture or paint. If I'm wrong and you do computer artistry or industrial design, then, I'd still like ot see it.

Oh, and by the way, me and the lil lady are movin down to Taxes too! (pun intended)



Cool. I'll pm you my web site addy (im in the process of changing it).
I do acrylics some oils, graphic design, drawings...etc. etc. even some video work.


So where about in Texas will you be at? you and your "lil lady" that is.

krossfyter
May 20, 2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by iGAV


That defeats the point of a time machine though doesn't it.....?? how do we know that in 2525 that time machines do not exist?? if so, they could come back and visit us in 2002....... the same could be said of say people in 1960, if someone went back to visit them in 1960.... time machines didn't exist then and the notion of the future to the people of 1960 is exactly the same as it is now...... unwritten......



not really. the idea of the "time machine" has many stereotypes atributed to it. one of the stereotypes is that you can go to whatever year you want. thats not true. its illogicial to go to a time when time travel was not created...to the scientists studying this work and actually trying to make it a reality. im not the one who made this up..im not even the one who thought of this. i was just doing some study on it and i found out that one of my pre concieved ideas about time travel was...well plain rubbish as some people like to say.

iGav
May 21, 2002, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter




not really. the idea of the "time machine" has many stereotypes atributed to it. one of the stereotypes is that you can go to whatever year you want. thats not true. its illogicial to go to a time when time travel was not created...to the scientists studying this work and actually trying to make it a reality. im not the one who made this up..im not even the one who thought of this. i was just doing some study on it and i found out that one of my pre concieved ideas about time travel was...well plain rubbish as some people like to say.

I love these types of conversations........ definitely one for when you're chilling out to ambient music and enjoying a favourite tipple.......

I find it incredibly difficult to imagine time travel....... and the whole science behind it...... :) something tells me though, it takes more than a Doc in a DeLorean :D :p

Outta Time........

krossfyter
May 21, 2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


I love these types of conversations........ definitely one for when you're chilling out to ambient music and enjoying a favourite tipple.......

I find it incredibly difficult to imagine time travel....... and the whole science behind it...... :) something tells me though, it takes more than a Doc in a DeLorean :D :p

Outta Time........


ah yeah..... woe unto them who think the delorean is a basic tool for time travel. haha.

eyelikeart
May 21, 2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter



ah yeah..... woe unto them who think the delorean is a basic tool for time travel. haha.

"I haven't seen a flying Delorean in years!"

he he he...

I wish time travel could become a reality...it would be so damned cool to go back to the late 50's - early 60's to see 'Ole Blue Eyes at the Sands... :D

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


"I haven't seen a flying Delorean in years!"


And why is that? I just saw one last week and I almost yelled, sure the driver would have loved that. But it seems the cars didn't really age well. Too bad, they were kind of cool.

eyelikeart
May 21, 2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


And why is that? I just saw one last week and I almost yelled, sure the driver would have loved that. But it seems the cars didn't really age well. Too bad, they were kind of cool.

well not flying ones...but there are a few of them around here...

again...I also lived down the street from a guy who owned one...it sat outside with a tarp half covering it...looked like it was in bad shape...never moved...

and just 2 weeks ago I was outside, sipping a latté at a coffee shop...and some guy pulled up with a Delorean...needless to say...people immediately were asking him questions...well..the ones who weren't in high school who knew what the hell it actually was... ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2002, 09:33 AM
"the libyans!!!!!"

ha.

not sure i've studied enough about time travel to think it's possible. i would be interested in using it, but it's not something that is rationally fathomable to me.... so i don't get my hopes up.

eyelikeart
May 21, 2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
it's not something that is rationally fathomable to me.... so i don't get my hopes up.

most likely because it is not rational to even consider...

still...would be very interesting if it were :p

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

most likely because it is not rational to even consider...

still...would be very interesting if it were :p

well... yeah. but i mean think about it. what would the limits be? could i go back in time and change what i'm doing now? could i go back and work more on my projects. could i bring stuff with me? etc... too hard to figure. and i don't buy it.

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


well... yeah. but i mean think about it. what would the limits be? could i go back in time and change what i'm doing now? could i go back and work more on my projects. could i bring stuff with me? etc... too hard to figure. and i don't buy it.

You're taking a much to personal approach to the whole concept of time travel. From what little is theorized at this point - I'm talking about the quantum physics aspects - you need to have a huge power supply, something on the order of the sun to be able to move anything through time. I will most likely be quite some time before we even get around to harnessing the energy of the sun, let alone creating something that is smaller and can outproduce it (black holes, quatum singularities, etc). Given that it will be far into the future that this might happen, the human race may well have evolved some, so what's important in the future would have no bearing on whats importatnt today and present time could be just a curiousity to the future humans. Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

I'm not worried about paradox here, its best not to step into that arena.

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
You're taking a much to personal approach to the whole concept of time travel. From what little is theorized at this point - I'm talking about the quantum physics aspects - you need to have a huge power supply, something on the order of the sun to be able to move anything through time. I will most likely be quite some time before we even get around to harnessing the energy of the sun, let alone creating something that is smaller and can outproduce it (black holes, quatum singularities, etc). Given that it will be far into the future that this might happen, the human race may well have evolved some, so what's important in the future would have no bearing on whats importatnt today and present time could be just a curiousity to the future humans. Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

I'm not worried about paradox here, its best not to step into that arena.

well i shouldn't have said anything then. basically i don't know enough about the physical talk about it... so the personal is where i'm coming from...

on a side note, just saw the dell graduation commercial... yuck

pc_convert?
May 21, 2002, 11:33 AM
Dukestreet I agree that listing a group of scientists as crackpots isn't the best way to air your views especially when they are all well respected, but did you read it? It makes sense. I've asked several Physics professors at my uni to look at it and pick holes in it.

None have replied yet.

I'm not taking what he said as the truth but I can't disprove it and until someone (cleverer) can I'm inclined to believe it.

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
Dukestreet I agree that listing a group of scientists as crackpots isn't the best way to air your views especially when they are all well respected, but did you read it? It makes sense. I've asked several Physics professors at my uni to look at it and pick holes in it.

Well, the bottom line is all this stuff is just theory, no one has the ability to generate the energy or truly understand what needs to b done yet. There is a scientist who believes he can send a photon or some other small sub atomic particle trough time in his lab. If this turns out to be true, well, that'll start another debate, I'm sure.

I read some of the paper, but it just seemed to be written by a zealot so I stopped after a while. I don't know enough about the physics involved, but it seemed to me that he was making a proof, but only choosing the things that helped his theory and avoided making mention to any of the other possibilities or flaws. I'll leave that to someone else who has a better ground in quatum physics, but most people who would understand all the science wouldn't give it the time of day because of his original list of crackpots. I think that was a bad move on his part. If he had come out and said that he disagreed with these reknowned scientist instead of calling them names, he might get more respect.