Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I'm just starting out on Mac for site creation and was hoping to get some recommendations on how to get started.

I have experience building minor sites on PC, but lately I've been mostly using a CMS through a network. I'm going on my own and would like to create a site of approx 100-200 pages, information based (no e-commerce or shopping carts), mostly articles and links on travel.

I'm a little lost in the Mac website arena.

Thanks all!

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
First, buy Coda. This is all you will need to create your website and publish it to your server.

I don't know what kind of information you want except that...

Feel free to ask more specific questions and i'll do my best to answer them.

alexjdb

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
It isn't that much different. What software were you using on Windows ?

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Use Joomla as a CMS
Edit it with TextWrangler
Upload it with Cyberduck
Good luck finding an image editor though. I use Photoshop, which costs $$$.

Nichod

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
First, buy Coda. This is all you will need to create your website and publish it to your server.

I don't know what kind of information you want except that...

Feel free to ask more specific questions and i'll do my best to answer them.

mmmm. Coda. Textmate is nice as well. But Coda is a godsend.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
mmmm. Coda. Textmate is nice as well. But Coda is a godsend.
I couldn't believe I didn't know it existed when I first found out about it. I don't really care for the auto completion that much but the whole interface is a blast to work with! Integrated Transmit is awesome too.

juliej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I bought Coda and it's pretty amazing. Should make life alot easier.

Thanks again!

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I've just come from a PC back to MAC and wasn't aware of Coda. Not wanting to fork out for another Dreamweaver licence, I was looking for something more cost effective (I code web pages by hand). Coda actually surprised me and is definitely worth the small price they ask.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
I gather Coda does the code? :D:D

Does it code better than Kompozer? I'm just asking because I'm probably — one day — going to upgrade to CS3 and have Dreamweaver anyway... don't we all? In the meantime, doesn't Kompozer do pretty much everything Coda does, only free?

Anyway, as I've expressed a number of times... WHY ARE WE STILL USING CODE? :eek::confused:

I thought attractive web design was trying to get past code and into GUI's ... so graphic designers that don't code can leapfrog past this stuff.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I gather Coda does the code? :D:D

Does it code better than Kompozer? I'm just asking because I'm probably — one day — going to upgrade to CS3 and have Dreamweaver anyway... don't we all? In the meantime, doesn't Kompozer do pretty much everything Coda does, only free?

Anyway, as I've expressed a number of times... WHY ARE WE STILL USING CODE? :eek::confused:

I thought attractive web design was trying to get past code and into GUI's ... so graphic designers that don't code can leapfrog past this stuff.

We still use code because that's the only way of having 100% what you want. Anyways, it's more fun that way for me. I rather not design than use WYSIWYG.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
OK, maybe one day I'll learn to have "fun" in a whole new part of my brain. :p

Anyway, from an outsider looking in, Kompozer looks pretty similar to Coda, and Kompozer is free. :cool:

juliej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Sigh. Think I might've jumped the gun buying Coda. I thought it had WYSIWYG capabilities, but I don't see it.

Is there any at all? I like the hand coding, but I got kind of addicted to WYSIWYG.

Any suggestions?

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Sigh. Think I might've jumped the gun buying Coda. I thought it had WYSIWYG capabilities, but I don't see it.

Is there any at all? I like the hand coding, but I got kind of addicted to WYSIWYG.

Any suggestions?

Take this as an opportunity to learn to code, I promise you it'll be a rewarding experience! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.