Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrago_52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
I am trying to import my Safari favorites from Safari 1.0 in OS 10.2.8 into Safari 1.1 in OS 10.3.

The OS's are on different drives.

Does anyone know how to do this?

m_gerbik

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
The Big Scrapple
You should be able to just copy the whole folder ~/Library/Safari from the 10.2.8 disk right into ~/Library on the 10.3 disk. Then launch Safari. I don't have 10.2.8 anymore now that I installed Panther, but I think the location of that folder is the same. The actual file that you need should be ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist so you can just copy that if you like.

~ <-- refers to your home directory in case you are wondering.

jfrago_52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
exporting safari favorites

Thanks for the tip.

Where do I enter ~ >-- to get to the home directory?

Should I start in 10.3 or 10.2.8?

Once I am there is like being in DOS or can I copy one file to another like in Mac?

m_gerbik

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
The Big Scrapple
You can do this in the Terminal or the Finder. If you want to do it in the Terminal while running 10.3 you would type "cd /Volumes/Name\ Of\ Volume/Users/username for 10.2.8/Library" Then you should be able to copy that whole Safari folder by typing "cp ./Safari ~/Library/"

It's probably much easier to just drag and drop in the finder. So you just have to navigate your way into the Library in the home folder of your username on the 10.2.8 volume and drag the Safari folder to your 10.3 home directory and put it in the Library folder.

I would definitely do it while running 10.3 though because that is the user setting you are trying to alter. So you need to have full read/write access to that home directory. You're just reading files from the 10.2.8. The other way around your 10.2.8 user is trying to screw around with 10.3 users home directory which will be frowned upon by the OS permissions system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.