PDA

View Full Version : Can an Intel Mac boot from an iPod Classic?

timswim78
Mar 20, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm interested in buying an iPod Classic, but I would like to know if I will be able to boot Intel Macs from it (like I can with a 5G iPod).

Does anyone know? I had limited success with a Google search.

cherry su
Mar 20, 2008, 09:32 PM
One word: Yes

todd2000
Mar 21, 2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe Im missing something, but I didn't think you could boot from External USB hard drives, which is what the iPod would be????

m1stake
Mar 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
If it can hold data, you can boot from it.

sammich
Mar 21, 2008, 12:48 AM
You can? I didn't know you could boot over USB.

CanadaRAM
Mar 21, 2008, 01:01 AM
PowerPC Macs could not boot from USB. Intel Macs can.

northy124
Mar 21, 2008, 04:34 AM
If Your Looking To Put An OS On The Classic Then Boot, Don't The Classic Can't Handle It Unless It Is A Very Watered Down OS, If Just For Documents/Movies/TV Shows/Music Then Yes You Can.

heatmiser
Mar 22, 2008, 11:47 AM
And yes, you can boot from USB. I've currently got bootable Leopard and Tiger partitions on my external USB drive.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 23, 2008, 08:17 PM
If Your Looking To Put An OS On The Classic Then Boot, Don't The Classic Can't Handle It Unless It Is A Very Watered Down OS, If Just For Documents/Movies/TV Shows/Music Then Yes You Can.

Why couldn't it handle it? the iPod Classic uses the same hard drive in the Air.

northy124
Mar 24, 2008, 08:18 AM
Hard Drive Has Nothing To Do With Anything The Specs Aren't High Enough, And I Did Say You Could Put A Watered Down Version Of Any OS On It (I.E What Ever Version Of Tiger The iPhone Uses)

Blue Velvet
Mar 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
To boot from a drive, any drive, OS X needs to have the drive partitioned in the appropriate partioning scheme, regardless of how many partitions it has. This is separate from how the drive is formatted...

For Intel Macs, that scheme is called GUID Partition Table. For PPC machines, it's Apple Partition Map and this is often the reason why OS X won't let you install OS X on an external drive... because it's not appropriately partitioned for the type of machine.

So, the first thing to do is to check how the iPod is partitioned in Disk Utility. The info is at the bottom of the panel when the drive is selected and should read: Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_tips/chapter_5_section_10.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002217-CH239-283969

Fonzijr1964
Mar 24, 2008, 08:36 AM
Hard Drive Has Nothing To Do With Anything The Specs Aren't High Enough, And I Did Say You Could Put A Watered Down Version Of Any OS On It (I.E What Ever Version Of Tiger The iPhone Uses)
ok just going to say yes you can do it and the iPhone doesn't run Tiger it runs "iPhone OS" says steve jobs:)

northy124
Mar 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
It's A Watered Down Tiger I Read That Somewhere When It Was First Released Either Way The OP Can Boot Another OS If It Can Handle The Specs The iPod Classic Has.

rlnhrt
Mar 24, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'm interested in buying an iPod Classic, but I would like to know if I will be able to boot Intel Macs from it (like I can with a 5G iPod).

Does anyone know? I had limited success with a Google search.

Yes, you can

He's asking if an intel Mac can boot from an iPod (that's using the intel Mac processor, reading the OS files from the iPod's hard drive), so you're wrong, specs don't have anything to do with it, you can even boot from an external hard drive with no processor at all. What you're saying would be true if he was asking if he can install and run OSX in the iPod ALONE, but this is not the case.

Nitrocide
Mar 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
It's A Watered Down Tiger I Read That Somewhere When It Was First Released Either Way The OP Can Boot Another OS If It Can Handle The Specs The iPod Classic Has.

Very Consistent Capital Letters Y'got There! :D