Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I need microphones for the following uses:

-Vocals in my room(home studio) and live (mellow rock, relatively low singers)
-Drums ( 2 overhead, kick, snare, maybe a tom)
-Mic an Amp (fender twin)
-Record Acoustic Guitar

I already have two Digital Reference DR-VX1 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone (my friend had them from a past band he was in)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digital...rdioid-Vocal-Microphone-101894954-i1126602.gc
they really arent the greatest vocal mics so we are looking for something a bit better.

Can anyone help me choose what I will need and for what? Or does anyone have any really good websites explaining?

I know I'll need atleast one shure sm57

more along the lines of what kind of mic for each purpose would be of most help

the following is what im considering so far
rode nt1-a (http://www.guitarcenter.com/R0DE-NT1-A-Anniversary-Model-Microphone-102019312-i1126925.gc) for vocals
shure sm57 for recording amp and snare drum

i dont know what kind of mic i need for overhead,kick, or toms
not sure what kind of mic i need for recording acoustic guitar

any help is appreciated
Thanks.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
for the vocal mic we are willing to spend up to $250

all other mics we want to try to keep 200 and below unless its really worth it. the shure sm57 is only 99 and seems like its uses can overlap for a few different things so we might be getting two of those.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
It may be worth looking at the Shure Beta 58A for live use - although it's also fine for studio use.

Essentially an SM58 with an improved pickup pattern (less likelihood of feedback).

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
An SM58 will be good for live vocals, and for a similar price the SM57 should do your amp. If you are on a budget you could use the SM57 as a snare drum mic too.
The Rode condenser (preferably two)could double up as a drum overhead mic and recording vocals in a home studio (buy a pop filter first!) and would also do the acoustic guitar nicely too.
If you only get the one rode, you could use some pencil condensers such as the samson co2 as overheads or a hi-hat mic.
As a kick microphone goes, there are lots out there.
This is only really a guideline though, ask at the store if you can.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
It is unless you can multitrack the whole thing.

I'd suggest a pair of overheads instead + a mic on the kick + SM57 on the snare.

For recording drums, SE make a great pair of shotgun pencil condensers which I've used (can't remember the model number, sorry). Add in to that an AKG D112 on the kick and an SM57 on the snare and it should sound fantastic.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
I agree with Killyp about the 57 and the D112.

You might want to check out AT3031 for overheads. They're in your price range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.