Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I've owned Apple products for nearly 5 years now and it's really grown on me as a brand, as in, for computer equipment, I look to Apple first.

I think for me, what attracts me to Apple is how well all their components work together. There is absolutely no problem syncing and working between my iPhone and MBP, they just work so well together, like Apples and honey. One can certainly trace the root of this to the fact that Apple controls the hardware and software of their computers. This means that Mail, iCal, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iPhone, iPod, iSync, Airport, Time Machine, etc will always work better together than hardware and software that has to be standardized across multiple designers and manufacturers. Actually, it always reminds me of a science fiction movie how your Mac can really become the center of all your digital life.

So my question to all of you is: What makes you keep coming back for more Apple gear?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I never really understood, or cared, for the explanation that "Apple's software works better together." Where does this appear in my daily use of my laptop? I'm just happy that their software works well with the OS and doesn't crash all the time. It also runs very smoothly. That's already quite an advantage for the Mac over Windows or Linux.

I don't really care how well iPhoto works with......iTunes, for example. I just want it to work, work well, and not crash.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Simplicity, efficiency, minimalism, cleanliness of appearance for the Apple brand and image;

Simplicity, efficiency and stability for the OS.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Unix (when I was in college) which adds to the Geek factor and the looks. Hands down, Apple products just look sleeker, better and more innovative.

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
I am attracted to the Apple community because as a whole they have stable relationships, know how to talk to girls in high school, don't feel the need to post every teenage mini-drama to the internet, carry out sound financial decisions based on the advice of professionals, go to the doctor when feeling sick instead of asking total strangers to practice medicine without a license, and don't feel the need to post pictures of every material possession they own.

Oh wait, and the ability to recognize sarcasm.

No seriously, just for the entertainment value ;)

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Nothing attracts me to 'the brand'.

I have an MBP because I want a high performance laptop with OSX

I have an iPod because, at £159, it offered the best bang-per-buck.

I don't have an iPhone, or Mac desktop, nor do I want them.

Doug

canucks-17

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
The fact that if I had an Apple I used to have something not many other people had as opposed to the same old terrible PC. Their products stand out and the OS. Love OS X :).
:apple:

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Nothing attracts me to 'the brand'.

I have an MBP because I want a high performance laptop with OSX

I have an iPod because, at £159, it offered the best bang-per-buck.

I don't have an iPhone, or Mac desktop, nor do I want them.

Doug

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I am attracted to the products, not the brand. If Microsoft got their act together and made the Zune really fantastic then I would swap my iPod in a flash. It doesn't really matter to me who makes a product. I will not use an inferior product just because of who made it.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The sexiness of the computers and Mac OS X.

You know what? This explains it better.

Big and bulky.
21ozfcg.png

33oh1rb.jpg

Sleek and sexy.:cool:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I started using Macs when they were still beige boxes. I was attracted to them because of ease-of-use and the fact that the vast majority of the ad world uses them. I'm fortunate enough to not have to touch a PC at all- ever. The one job I had in which I had to use a PC nearly put me in my grave.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Form factor, and functionality..

As most people know, the fact that Apple is in charge of both the hardware and the software for their products ensures a smooth, easy computing process. Something that ensures that, as Apple claims, everything "just works"..

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
Here's my list:

1. The majority of the creative industry (video, audio, etc) use Macs. If I turn up to a job interview to be a video editor then they're more likely to pick me over the guy who has never used a Mac before.
2. They're VERY nice computers. I saw the OS and it looked great. It looked like a change from my dull PC that had looked the same for years and years. IT was something new and fresh and it looked great. The OS was beautiful and so was the actual computer.
3. I'd heard such good things about them. I had a friend (who is now working at an Apple store) and he pretty much told me about them... dare I say, brainwashed me into liking them. But even if he did, I don't care. I feel and know I've made the right decision.
4. They're different, just like me. That's one reason why I kind of hope that Macs don't become the majority market share. Of course I want them to but that factor kinda makes me feel better.
5. It works. My PC had loads of errors and I knew I couldn't visit websites or install apps without fear. Now I can, pretty much.
6. It appealed to me. All the things that most people use Macs for are things I do or wanted to do.
7. Impresses my friends :p I've not had the "Where's the computer?" line yet because the people I invite into my house know about iMacs from where I went on and on about them for 9 months, but I've had "wow! it's so thin!" and even today, my friend who has seen my iMac multiple times was amazed at the slot loading drive, because he's never seen one. And I'm sure there are friends of mine who try to invite themselves to my house just so they can see my iMac :p
8. I just love it. I love the atmosphere of it, the actual thing, the vibe, the way it works and everything. I also love the community surrounding Macs. Almost everyone who owns one is pretty into Macs and it means you can talk to almost any Mac users about stuff Mac-related. Even my Dad, who didn't seem like the type to care about Mac vs. PC, said to me on the day I got my iMac about how they were made by the best. It's just a nice feeling knowing that you're now part of the club and that if you have a problem, there's going to be someone there who will help you :) Now I think of it, owning a Mac really IS like being part of a religion, haha.
9. It's thought through properly and so are the people who use them. The computers are clever. The users are (on the whole) clever. It's good.
10. It's the centre of everything you do. You may need to spend a buck or two but it can be your life.

Where iPods are concerned, the reason I own an iPod is because
1. People I know have them and think they're great, so it encouraged me to buy one.
2. I've got a Mac so I know it's going to be a good quality product.
3. For £32, the iPod shuffle is the best value, and one of the cheapest MP3 players on the market.

It's just all brilliant :D and Apple feels like someone who cares about you, not about money like other companies that just care about selling you something. Apple is slightly informal and rugged too and that's appealing, as well. Plus they're very generous with things like Apple care. My old Mighty Mouse needed replacing and I just told them what happened, and with no technicalities or impoliteness, the guy on the phone sent me one like that. No forms to fill in, no contract, terms or conditions. It was replaced.
Great Products. Great Atmosphere. Great Vibes. Great Customer Services. Great Company... and trustworthy.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
The ubiquity in the creative field. When I was first getting a laptop, I decided on the Macbook because I was going to an all-mac music school and wanted to be slightly more prepared, and because I'd always wanted a Mac computer, even though I'd never really used one (The one Mac I had before this was an old Powerbook 150 which I didn't use, it was just there for fun). As I researched more into them, the look and the form drove to eventually just sat "yes." But the kicker was visiting my mom's girlfriend's family, who are all avid Mac users, and by playing with their powerbook, I had a lot of fun :) It was actually during our most recent trip up there, which was last Thanksgiving, that with their help, I convinced my mom to order me my laptop, so we did, and I now know I made the right choice. Sure, it's not perfect, but the overall workings of it have been so good to me, and the CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I've had such great experiences with this computer and the customer service, that until Apple ****s up big time, I'm going to be a Mac user for quite some time.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Back in the old days

With my se/30 and quadra 605. The fact that i could just plug in a external scsi drive and let it boot off it and install the operating system. - My windows rig you had to boot from floppies.

The really cool games like decent, prince of persia 1 and 2, number munchers, brickles the list goes on.

Now

The nice design, Unix, Easy to use operating system, not yet prone to viruses / spyware. The operating system boots nice and fast.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I am attracted to the Apple community because as a whole they have stable relationships, know how to talk to girls in high school, don't feel the need to post every teenage mini-drama to the internet, carry out sound financial decisions based on the advice of professionals, go to the doctor when feeling sick instead of asking total strangers to practice medicine without a license, and don't feel the need to post pictures of every material possession they own.

Oh wait, and the ability to recognize sarcasm.

Ironically, I thought you were serious at first, because most of my own friends have Macs and that describes most of us... Well, except for the part about going to the doctor when feeling sick. Although instead of asking total strangers anything, we usually ignore it the sickness...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So many reasons that make the general comfortable/satisfactory "ahhh" experience

Simplified though.

-Good looking hardware and reliable easy to use software...OS wise that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.