Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register reports that Motorola's G5 may be on track for early next year.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, says the source, is shooting for a January launch.

We can see Jobs doing so, but announcing that top-end models won't ship until February or March, much as he did this year when he unveiled the 733MHz and 667MHz Power Mac G4s based on the second-generation G4-class PowerPC, the 7450.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: G5

G5s by early next year will be cool

i know about the MHz myth but i am still waiting for the 1 GHz mac

this is one major factor of what is needed for pc users to switch over, the other is price point

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
i agree

I agree with jefhatfield, I think 1ghz, and price point is very important, as well as a new design. Although, the g4 tower is very functional and good looking, the design has been the same for wayyy to long for apple(and the july redesign was just a little facelift). I think with Apple showing how well they can minimize computers, (cube, tibook, ibook) they should definately be able to reduce the G4s size significantly, and I wouldnt be suprised if it was something metal like the tibook.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I dont see how you could reduce the size of a G4 tower without getting rid of its expandability.
Also it is good to have space inside a case for air circulation, creating a flow of air through a case is very important for a cool machine.
The G4 could look a little leaner, it seems a bit flabby round the edges if u ask me.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
G5 news. Rumors is Good

What could be bad about the g5? Nothing, and lets hope intel does not release a 2ghz+ processor, Cause us in the mac world have to Catch up. GO 2 GHZ G5's!!!!!

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
nah i think by then intel will have released that new chip that they're gonna srew themselves with...

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
The need for speed is slowing down. The average computer user doesn't use 1/2 of their processor power. I am looking forward to the G5 or anyother increases because I do video editting. But the big selling point of Macs has always been their interface.

My point.
We would like a G5
We need to get OSX completely working and adopted.

inorder to compete with the wintels. (market wise)

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!

In anger, I banged my laptop case shut. (the g3 Lombard 1999 June model). It went to sleep as usual, however when I woke up, **** happned. There was a 1 pixel thick red line down my LCD. Approximately in the middle. It went all the way down. I tried resolution changing, gamma, color synce and everything. The red line still remained. I tried banging the laptop more times but nothing happned. WHAT DO I DO?????? Or is that just part just damaged. If yes, what kind of repair cost are we looking at????

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!

Originally posted by Kela
In anger, I banged my laptop case shut. (the g3 Lombard 1999 June model). It went to sleep as usual, however when I woke up, **** happned. There was a 1 pixel thick red line down my LCD. Approximately in the middle. It went all the way down. I tried resolution changing, gamma, color synce and everything. The red line still remained. I tried banging the laptop more times but nothing happned. WHAT DO I DO?????? Or is that just part just damaged. If yes, what kind of repair cost are we looking at????

The first thing to do is look into anger management classes.

Kela, I hate to break it to you, but you're screwed. And when you tried "banging the laptop more times," you probably did more harm than good.

You've hosed an array of pixels. The only remedy would be a complete replacement of the LCD. If you have Apple do it, the cost is $1050 for the part, plus labor (which at Apple runs over $100).

You can get third party parts for your laptop, and I think they run around $600 or so for the screen.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: serious help

i am a computer repair person for PCs with my own business and the pixel thing only shows how cheaply they (LCDs) are made...i have repaired or helped repair and maintain thousands of computers on the hardware and software level in just the past year

my old partner, who now works for Dell in Texas, used to see the laptop screens of supposedly reliable dells go out and have pixel issues...he was also the county's main compaq laptop man and it's main apple on site tech...and he never complained about apple laptops as much

...but you are talking about a laptop that is two and a half years old which in the computer repairperson/A+ tech world is a relic...no firewire, and does it even have USB?, and I bet the hard drive could just fit OS X, MS Office, and Photoshop before it is completely maxed out...i have a mid '99 working compaq laptop and i show it to new computer users for kicks when they want to see the oldest working PC laptop anybody has ever seen in my town...to date nobody has an older working PC laptop without some major booboo

the practical life of a home computer in the 70s and early 80s used to be four or five years and they were built accordingly...by the time windows 98 and OS 8 came out, it was shaved to maybe three years and those computers were built accordingly...now i see home users swap out machines the way they used to swap out video cards in the 90s

and by the way, when i go to the gaming store, only five percent of the titles now could be used on my mid/early '99 laptop ...the min stats exceed my computer

my 366 MHz laptop is fast becoming a word processing machine that likes to fall off the internet

i think it is time to get a new laptop and move on

...some of you fellow techies may disagree with me and i have a fellow techie friend who likes to keep old computers around and he thinks you can still keep them going OK for five years...and oh yeah, he also just learned how to use something so new called a mouse...i think he must belong to the still strong commodore 64 cult...i will tell you, those techies don't get any work around here

so good luck and i hope you find a new laptop and don't get angry at your old faithful machine, it would be like me being mad that my 4 ounce bottle of h*** lo**** and box of kl***** didn't last me from puberty to middle age

[Edited by jefhatfield on 10-19-2001 at 10:29 AM]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.