PDA

View Full Version : advice on used Firewire 410

pna
Mar 21, 2008, 11:41 AM
hey everyone,

I'm just finally setting up to record some of the songs that my girlfriend and I have written (mainly vocals and acoustic guitar with some other simple percussion). I used to have a digi001 that I used with a PC, so I'm familiar with that kind of simple box (and its limitations), but I sold it long ago when I moved to a powerbook. I never used it as much as I would have liked, so I never got as comfortable with Pro Tools LE as I should have. I still have the Marshall mic for vocals that I used and was really happy with.

I've read through pretty much all of the posts in this forum, and around the web as well, and it looks like the m-audio firewire 410 would suffice for what I'm looking to do, provided I got a pretty good deal on it. There's a basically new one being sold locally for $185, that comes with everything in the box and a copy of Logic Express 7. I'm eligible for academic discounts, so a copy of LE 8 would be another $99, and I think would probably serve me quite well. More importantly, if I wanted to upgrade later, I'd have to think I could sell it for not that much less than I paid for it.

Any thoughts on whether this actually qualifies as a 'good deal', or if there is likely to be better equipment for what I'm hoping to do at the same price point? Used is obviously not a problem for me.

Additionally, the guy has an m-audio axiom 49 that he'd package with it for probably $150 or so. I've never used midi anything, but am an ex-drummer, and am wondering if that would be a good deal on equipment making drum loop programming more like playing music and less like clicking the mouse.

Thanks for any advice you all have, I'm eager to learn more about this and get started recording again.

Mar 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
That's a great price for the 410. I'm using one and it's ace. :)

AviationFan
Mar 21, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, it's a good price, and the FW410 is a good interface for the money. The oe thing it lacks, which was a deal breaker for me, is balanced line-outs. But if you don't need those to be balanced, go for it!

- Martin

pna
Mar 21, 2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, it's a good price, and the FW410 is a good interface for the money. The oe thing it lacks, which was a deal breaker for me, is balanced line-outs. But if you don't need those to be balanced, go for it!

Ahhhhh, as far as I know I wouldn't need those to be balanced, as right now I'm really just going to be using the outputs to monitor the mix. Maybe could you give me an idea of when I might need them to be balanced, or maybe why you needed them to be?

Also, any thoughts on the Axiom 49?

Thanks again for the advice.

AviationFan
Mar 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe could you give me an idea of when I might need them to be balanced, or maybe why you needed them to be?I have active monitors connected to my line outs - a full 5.1 surround system - and the JBL monitors that I have were not happy with the unbalanced signals: there was a very noticeable hum all the time; I suspected there was a ground loop of some sort. I also have a Tascam FW-1082 with two balanced outputs, and when I tried those, the hum was gone. So I decided to go balanced all the way, and got an Echo Audiofire 8 to replace the FW410, which I have been very happy with ever since.

- Martin