PDA

View Full Version : macbook DJing

zombier
Mar 21, 2008, 04:49 PM
I was hoping some of you guys could help me with a few questions. I recently bought a blackbook because I needed a new comp and I want to start djing. But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to djing and don't really know what hardware/software I need. I tried searching the net but all the advice seems to be geared towards people who have previous knowledge of djing. Ive been messing around with traktor, but I ran into some problems.

1. I realized I need an external sound card so I could hear in my headphones. What's a good cheap one for a beginner?

2. What's the best software for djing on the mac?

3. Is there any good beginner guides to djing on a mac?

4. What other hardware( like a controller) should I invest in?

I know its slot of questions for a first time post, but any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Tarkovsky
Mar 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
1. I realized I need an external sound card so I could hear in my headphones. What's a good cheap one for a beginner?

Do you mean for pre-fades? Yeah, but depending on the software you may need at least 4 mono outs (two stereo ones) on the extra card itself, as most won't let you use both (soundcards at once).

2. What's the best software for djing on the mac?
I like traktor. And Ableton live. Traktor is easier to get to grips with, and focused more on playback whilst live is probably better for beat creation. There are free alternatives available @ www.openjay.com

3. Is there any good beginner guides to djing on a mac?
-I don't know.

4. What other hardware( like a controller) should I invest in?
-I would answer whatever you can get cheap off ebay and will be compatible with your software. So find the software you like first.

DJJONES
Mar 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
firstly i would receommend u buy a good dj set and a mixer.

denon dns-3500 n any 2 or 4 channel mixer

its a bit pricey but its best to learn on a set thats mainstream at clubs and also something u dont have to replace anytime soon.

learning on that will help you work with programs like tracktor and abelton live easier.

i use serato scratch and denon 9000's.

i also kno how to use abelton adobe audition acid pro fruity loops reason sonar 7 cd architect and because i learned to dj it helped making my transition into using programs like that much easier .

djing is amazing once u kno how to entertain and if u get frustrated easy or dont have a good work ethic being a dj is something that willl be tough for you

have fun wid it man

Tarkovsky
Mar 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
He's wrong. Alot of the DJs at my radio haven't even touched an LP. Learning 'analogue' might be worthwhile for you, though it's definitely not required to learn how to use the software. It depends on how you want to do these things.

DJJONES
Mar 22, 2008, 01:17 AM
He's wrong. Alot of the DJs at my radio haven't even touched an LP. Learning 'analogue' might be worthwhile for you, though it's definitely not required to learn how to use the software. It depends on how you want to do these things.

ive never touched an lp myself ive learned to dj by using cds and cd players. firstly i think its more worthwhile for any dj to learn how to dj properly on a set of turntables or cd players vs jumping right into using digital software. djing on a set is much more difficult and brings allot more stress onto the dj himself vs using a software where u can drift correct your songs and breeze thru a set.

but its deff not required to use those "djing" programs.

there is allot more to learn about djing from using lp or cds vs using software. its may help this guy build his djing instinct lol

dalvin200
Mar 22, 2008, 01:22 AM
I use the M-Audio Torq Xponent USB Midi controller (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent-main.html), which basically controls the Torq software..

Fantastic!!

quigleybc
Mar 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
1 - dj'ing using only a laptop would be frustrating i would think.

2 - dj'ing is very expensive

3 - Macbook's aren't really going to help too much for DJ'ing. unless you want to use a program like Serato or Traktor

4 - you need to get a mixer

Wolfgang
Mar 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
1. Yes, you do need another soundcard for PFL/cueing. There are some pretty good ones designed for DJing i.e. they have rca booth and main outs and then a headphone out. If you already have another soundcard because you use it for recording or whatnot, you can start by using that and creating an aggregate device consisting of that and your internal audio. Its not perfect, but if you're just diving in and aren't sure how much you want to invest in DJing, its a great way to try using the hardware you've already got. I started using that setup along with Mixxx (http://www.mixxx.org/) which is a pretty good basic (and free) DJing software, for beat matching etc.

2. Ah the great "Best DJ Software"debate...it really depends on who you ask/what you want to do with it. As far as all-around DJing, Traktor, Serato, and Torq are some of the best ones right now. If you're interested in scratching also, I believe Serato (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is the best choice, although I hear that Traktor Scratch is pretty good too. I personally use Torq, which I chose based on a combination of it's feature set, price, and that the same company (M-Audio) makes a great midi controller that is designed for Torq (although its not limited solely to Torq). Ableton Live is really a completely different kind of DJing. Alot of DJ's use it as like an extra deck almost, to drop a beat or effect, while others use it to compose and remix songs live. I wouldn't recommend it, however, to use when you're learning.

3. Beginners guide to DJing...in what respect? Just in general?

4. If you want to use a controller, the best (IMO) one on the market right now is the M-Audio Xponent. I recently got it and it really is a great controller. Hardly any gripes about it at all. Also, some promising looking controllers got announced at NAMM this year, but they won't be available for at least another 6-8 months i believe. You can also use regular CDJ's and TTs and a mixer to control all the DJ softwares I listed if that's the route you want to take.

Have fun with it.

Wolfgang

DJJONES
Mar 27, 2008, 03:34 PM
serato is a djing program that does have a mode where u can use your dj set along with it or just use a mixer and laptop and mix right off the computer.

scratching is pretty ez with it there really isnt any latency but u do need a good set of turntables that are fairly on point.

i havent tried any other programs beside serato i use serato because it put all my music in 1 damn place no more digging for cds and getting disc errors. also i like the visual representation. all the functions on my denon 9000 work except delays filters echo's. im not sure if the brake still works or not.

good program but it is damn well overpriced all u really pay for is that little box which costs 550 usd. i think most dj gear is overpriced anyways