Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I haven't done any programming (other than dabbling with html) and want to learn cocoa, and eventually cocoa touch. I bought a book but it is panther based and makes a lot of references to other programming languages. I've decided that I want to take a class (not college) but can't find any. Any suggestions.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I haven't done any programming (other than dabbling with html) and want to learn cocoa, and eventually cocoa touch. I bought a book but it is panther based and makes a lot of references to other programming languages. I've decided that I want to take a class (not college) but can't find any. Any suggestions.

You want to learn Objective-C before you think about touching Cocoa. Objective-C is the programming language that Cocoa uses while Cocoa itself is a set of APIs (Application Programming Interface).

This book will teach you everything you need to know:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/ObjC.pdf

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks I didn't realize cocoa was just a set of APIs rather than a language.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You may want to pick up an Objective-C book. The Apple Obj-C manuals are really only comprehensible if you've already programmed in C or C++.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Step 1 in your journey to new knowledge - read at least 1 of the posts that get asked every day on this forum asking the same question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.