PDA

View Full Version : iPod self-reset?

jxyama
Nov 4, 2003, 12:54 PM
if there's been a thread on this already, i'd appreciate a re-direction. i couldn't find anything from a quick search...

i have a 10GB 3rd gen iPod. i use it every few days. if i don't use it for more than a day or so, the iPod resets itself (the black apple logo screen for a while, then the main menu) before it becomes accessible. is this a known problem?

after use, i turn it off by holding the play button, then i turn on the hold switch to "locked." the iPod self-resets (a day or more later) when i move the hold switch from "locked" to "unlocked."

jxyama
Nov 5, 2003, 01:13 PM
no one experiences this? or does everyone listen to the music daily and never have the ipod off for a few days... :confused:

Dreadnought
Nov 5, 2003, 01:23 PM
Hmmm, I use my pod the same way as you do, but it always remembers the presets I put in there... strange...

BTW, I have a 2g 20 gb

ckwm
Nov 5, 2003, 01:27 PM
I get the reset problem too (15gb, 3rd gen) but not often enough to have noticed a problem. My iPod remembers the setings after reset too. Odd.

parrothead
Nov 5, 2003, 01:27 PM
That happened to me yesterday on my 30gb ipod. I use it every day, all day. The self reset happened in the morning when I turned off the hold button. Still seems to work ok though.

jxyama
Nov 5, 2003, 02:05 PM
thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.

i just wanted to make sure this is a known problem so i wouldn't need to worry about getting mine fixed...

SilentPanda
Nov 5, 2003, 02:17 PM
My 1st Gen iPod 10GB turns on by itself. I think it just does it at midnight... I think it's the Alarm or something... although I don't have one set... I'm playing around with it to figure it out though.

zimv20
Nov 5, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.

that happens to mine, too. the only thing it doesn't remember is what song it was playing.

i'd assumed that, after a period of non-use, it goes into a mode that uses less power. i'd never considered it a problem.

until now.

i curse you. ;-)

jxyama
Nov 5, 2003, 02:47 PM
well, sorry... :p

i don't really consider it a problem either. i just wanted to make sure it's not something unique to my ipod, that was all...

norfair
Feb 15, 2004, 06:15 PM
Mine does the same thing. I put it to sleep on friday night, and put it back on sunday evening, then it show the apple logo, etc. but keeps all settings. I would guess it's to preserve power. In any case, I'm happy to see it happens to other ppl :) After the soft resets though, the battery always shows like it has 25% of power left even if it has more than that. After a while it goes back up to the right value. Weird.