Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of times you can download a purchased song onto your iPod. Is there any limit? Can you only download songs like...10 times? Or is there a limit to how many different iPods you can download that song to?

Greatly appreciated if someone can inform me.
Have a great day everyone!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Cinematographer is correct, but I will also add that there is 1 download limit per song. Apple tries to make it clear that it is your responsibility to backup your media on CD, DVD, Hard Drive, etc. If there is a hard drive failure Apple has been known to give you a one-time free re-download of your lost songs, but I would strongly advise you to backup and not have to deal with this, getting re-downloads is supposedly a real hassle.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Cinematographer is correct, but I will also add that there is 1 download limit per song....

This is worded in a way that might be confusing. You can buy and download a song from iTunes as many times as you want to pay for it. It is like any brick and mortar store in that regard. If you buy a CD and then lose it, you can't go back to the store and grab another one and walk out with it. So, be careful and backup your music.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I have the understanding from an apple store employee a few years back you can use it 7 time burn 6 CDs and put it on an iPod or have 7 iPods than you have to buy it again but just try it Burn it over and over and c when it wont let you any more.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Can I download purchased songs an unlimited number of times onto my iPod touch?

Soooo...I can download my purchased songs an unlimited number of times onto my iPod touch?

That link is great but "music files you purchase are yours to keep" and "Burn the music you buy to an unlimited number of CDs for your personal use, listen to it on an unlimited number of iPod players" aren't exactly direct answers. It says unlimited CD burning, but doesn't say unlimited downloading to one iPod. Just a yes or no answer to the question above would be great.
All your answers have been helpful but I haven't got a clear, definitive answer.

NotAnotherSN

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Cherry Hill, NJ
Soooo...I can download my purchased songs an unlimited number of times onto my iPod touch?

That link is great but "music files you purchase are yours to keep" and "Burn the music you buy to an unlimited number of CDs for your personal use, listen to it on an unlimited number of iPod players" aren't exactly direct answers. It says unlimited CD burning, but doesn't say unlimited downloading to one iPod. Just a yes or no answer to the question above would be great.
All your answers have been helpful but I haven't got a clear, definitive answer.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what is the problem there. It says, very clearly, listen to it on an unlimited amount of iPods. If you mean, can you put it on one iPod as many times as you like, then yes, no duh.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
NotAnotherSN is right, the answer is yes, you copy your music as many times to your iPod as you like.

If you're so keen on getting a clear answer, why do you keep on using the term "download" that way? You download your music from the iTMS to your computer. But you copy your music to the iPod.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.