PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying a new iPod ?

Vicarious
Mar 22, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hi there,
My iPod was stolen, so currently I'm mp3 player-less and I'm sure all long-distance commuters will sympathise with my plight.
Now my question is, is it worth it to buy an iPod classic now that the cycle is nearly over (according the the buyer guide here) ? All I use it for is music and nothing else (so I really don't need all the stuff like wifi, coverflow, itunes store, films etc) , but if the next gen Classic is going to have something really cool for music listening (or get smaller / cheaper / SSD / etc), then maybe its worth the wait...

Thanks in advance

iDAG
Mar 22, 2008, 09:25 AM
It won't be updated until September, so unless you can wait that long I would just go ahead and buy one.

Techguy172
Mar 22, 2008, 09:37 AM
I say get one now it won't be big one and if it's just software yours will be updated to it.

Vicarious
Mar 23, 2008, 03:16 AM
Cool, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I live in Switzerland and right now I have to one off opportunity to buy an iPod in the US for 150$ less than it'ed cost here.

Cheers

msarway
Mar 26, 2008, 12:19 PM
will the nano's be updated to bigger sizes or will they stay the same.

brn2ski00
Mar 26, 2008, 12:22 PM
will the nano's be updated to bigger sizes or will they stay the same.

Eventually you will see a 8GB (base model) and a 16GB iPod Nano.

Clownius
Mar 26, 2008, 11:58 PM
It won't be updated until September, so unless you can wait that long I would just go ahead and buy one.

Hello, I'm also considering buying an Ipod classic.

I heard from a friend that frequents this website that there may be an update next month based on his interpretation of the buyer's guide. So i decided to wait. I'm wondering what makes you think that the next update is in September?

Also what else do you think will be incorporated into the next update? Because personally i don't want to have to wait another 6 months for the next update unless it incorporates something really amazing.

cheers,

kuwisdelu
Mar 27, 2008, 12:44 AM
Just my own opinion--I have no expertise in such areas, but I think any major new features will be incorporated into the iPod Touch and the iPhone. I think the days of any major innovation in the iPod Classic is gone. That's why it's the "Classic." It'll likely see memory bumps and maybe go fully flash sometime, but nothing amazing. Apple has pretty much achieved perfection as far as they (and many of us, probably) are concerned as far as an mp3 player goes. Innovation will now be in the Touch and the iPhone.

pinktank
Mar 27, 2008, 12:51 AM
sansa fuze might be a good option, there have been so many releases after the nano, its not really that good an option anymore in terms of price and function

Merkuryy
Mar 27, 2008, 08:05 AM
sansa fuze might be a good option, there have been so many releases after the nano, its not really that good an option anymore in terms of price and function

If you talk about flash memory Mp3, Sandisk is very aggressive with its price. But personally ,if you mension high quality music(80G man!!!! good for loseless music) and a little movie(just 3 or 4 films). iPod Classic is the first choice. The battery is quite amazing(at least twice as the iPod 5G, even more if you set the setting low), after having a Touch and a Classic, I think the Classic is extremely good for music lovers

Techguy172
Mar 27, 2008, 08:11 AM

I heard from a friend that frequents this website that there may be an update next month based on his interpretation of the buyer's guide. So i decided to wait. I'm wondering what makes you think that the next update is in September?

Also what else do you think will be incorporated into the next update? Because personally i don't want to have to wait another 6 months for the next update unless it incorporates something really amazing.

cheers,

The updates have been in september for 3 or 4 years now and will probably be in september again.

Fonzijr1964
Mar 27, 2008, 09:11 AM

cheers,

Apple just likes to sell iPods for Christmas (Jee y would they want to do that) so they release the new ones just at the start of the Holiday shopping session (Sep-Nov) and today on page 2 there is more support for that.

Clownius
Mar 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've also heard from places that there may not even be a revision of the iPod classic because it will become obsolete very soon. If thats the case do you think the revision of the Nano will include say a 16gb version?

aethelbert
Mar 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
I've also heard from places that there may not even be a revision of the iPod classic because it will become obsolete very soon. If thats the case do you think the revision of the Nano will include say a 16gb version?
They will probably revise it and just drop the product once flash catches up.