Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Well I finally got my MacBook. Yorkdale mall was a zoo today, it was like christmas all over again lol. So far it's been great, reinstalled Leopard and got about 6GB of space back which is really nice. My only problem is that it's not seeing my speakers. There 5.1 surround but it just doesn't seem to notice them. Is there anything I can do? I got the base model and going to be upgrading to 2GB of ram later on. Anyways, if someone can help me with my speakers that would be great!

ricpac

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Congrats and welcome to the world of Macs!
Try to check out your audio settings in Sys Prefs.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Congrats and welcome to the world of Macs!
Try to check out your audio settings in Sys Prefs.

I did and it just doesn't see anything in the Audio in port. Right now I'm using the internal speakers on the MacBook so I'm trying to get this fixed as soon as possible.

I should mention that they are the Logitech X-530 and they have the Green, Yellow and Black connectors. Do I need to buy something else for it or what?

ricpac

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
There should only be one audio jack so you could hook it up to your MacBook. And there should also be a switch on the back of the subwoofer or something that could let you hook up the other speakers with the colored jacks.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
I did and it just doesn't see anything in the Audio in port. Right now I'm using the internal speakers on the MacBook so I'm trying to get this fixed as soon as possible.

I should mention that they are the Logitech X-530 and they have the Green, Yellow and Black connectors. Do I need to buy something else for it or what?

I have the same speakers.

I have the yellow and black ones hooked up to my Xbox via the adapter that they came with and I just have the green one plugged into my MacBook. It only plays music from my MacBook through the front two speakers and the subwoofer though, but that's all I want for my music.

I get the middle one and the back two and sub for my Xbox. I works really well for me and I don't have to switch cables when I switch from my computer to my Xbox.

If you don't want to do that and you want all your speakers playing from your MacBook, you could buy some cables from any store (I got mine from Walmart) that hook up to the adapter that came with your speakers. If you need me to post pictures I will. Hope that helps.

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
I have the same speakers.

I have the yellow and black ones hooked up to my Xbox via the adapter that they came with and I just have the green one plugged into my MacBook. It only plays music from my MacBook through the front two speakers and the subwoofer though, but that's all I want for my music.

I get the middle one and the back two and sub for my Xbox. I works really well for me and I don't have to switch cables when I switch from my computer to my Xbox.

If you don't want to do that and you want all your speakers playing from your MacBook, you could buy some cables from any store (I got mine from Walmart) that hook up to the adapter that came with your speakers. If you need me to post pictures I will. Hope that helps.

I'm curious to see what you used. If you don't mind posting pics.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
This is the little adapter my speakers came with for game systems and the cable I bought at Walmart. The last picture is how I actually have it, with the green audio cable hooked into my MB.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    891.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    783.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    849.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    838.3 KB · Views: 94

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the pics that's exactly what I figured it was.

I just have a miniplug to 2xRCA that I use with my Klipsch system.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks a lot for those pictures Antimatter. I'm going to do that with mine when I'm using it up in my bedroom. Actually, what I can do is just unhook the cable I'm sing for the audio that goes to my PS3 when I'm not using it, that should work since it's only the green one.

There's a button on my speakers that will allow me to have 5.1 for my MacBook I believe, I'll have to try that out and see. Thanks for the help, I'll try it soon and post back if it works. So far I'm loving my MacBook!! It's an amazing machine.

To Italchef, Yorkdale was a zoo. It was like christmas again lol. My Mom and I spent like half an hour trying to find a parking spot. We don't live anywhere near Yorkdale, we were just visiting my Nonna up there and went to get my MacBook after. Also, was a bit hectic since someone's car caught on fire and the fire truck was there putting out the flames. Don't know how it happened though.

Also, what apps should I download? So far this is what I've downloaded on my Mac:

- Perian
- SMC Fan Control
- Tinker Tool
- iStat
- Transmission
- Handbrake
- Mac the Ripper
- Limewire

So far when my Mac's idle the temp hasn't gone higher then 45C, right now it's around 60C but I'm doing a lot of things, also the fan is at around 1800rpm.

EDIT: Ok well it still doesn't seem to see my speakers :S. All I have connected is the green wire (the on I use for my PS3) that is separate from the G/Y/B wires that came with the speakers. I don't know, this isn't making any sense to me what so ever.

EDIT: Ok I just hooked my speakers up via the headphone input and now I'm getting sound out of them. Does this make sense to anybody?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.