PDA

View Full Version : help w/ list of items to kick off recording

umpahimself
Mar 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
Okay,

So I've been searching around for the past week trying to find a blog or forum that would just give me a basic idea of what I need to get started on recording vocals and guitar through my amp. I don't know if I'm not looking good enough or what but I haven't found squat. I NEED HELP!

This is what I Currently have:
American Deluxe Telecaster
Vox 2x12 Valvetronix
MBox 1
G5 Dual Core 2.0 w/ 750GB HD space and 1.5GB RAM
GarageBand & Logic Pro (which I already have working with my MBox)

I also have decided to get an Rode NT 1-A mic for vocals (just waiting on a paycheck) unless anyone tells me otherwise. (on a side note I'm gunna be recording loud yelling and singing vocals and I've heard some things saying that the Road isn't meant to handle that). Also, do I need to convert it or can I just do XLR straight to the MBox? I know I need a mic for the amp (also will same mic work with bass amp?). I want good sound but doesn't have to be the best so willing to spend around $300 or less. I talked with a guy from sam ash and he said that i need to convert the 1/4 cable to XLR or something so what do I use? Then I'm gunna make a portable recording box to sing into with foam in it.

So basically a decent guitar amp mic and whatever hardware I need to convert it. And any suggestions on things that I didnt mention or any other mic or any suggestions in general. Also advice on a good basic lil MIDI keyboard just to fool around with some electronic stuff.

Recording my first song will mean the world to me so any help would be extremely appreciated

:apple: fo life

zimv20
Mar 22, 2008, 08:14 PM
personally, i'm not a fan of the rode nt1a.

for your budget, i suggest you get both an AT 2020 and a shure sm57. each can handle vox and guitar cab duties, though i'd keep the 2020 at least a foot back from the grill.

both mics will hook to your mbox w/ a simple XLR cable. you'll need to flip on the phantom power for the 2020.

umpahimself
Mar 22, 2008, 09:23 PM
personally, i'm not a fan of the rode nt1a.

for your budget, i suggest you get both an AT 2020 and a shure sm57. each can handle vox and guitar cab duties, though i'd keep the 2020 at least a foot back from the grill.

both mics will hook to your mbox w/ a simple XLR cable. you'll need to flip on the phantom power for the 2020.

I see that both these mics are around $99. Does that effect the quality and sound because I really dont mind shelling out some mullah for a good product. Which mic would you use for vocal and which for amp because I see that in their descriptions, both these mics are made to record both vocals and amps and are good "first time" equipment. I was looking for more intermediate stuff that I shouldn't have to replace later on. Also, I was under the impression that to get the best sound you should get mics made specifically for their own thing.

zimv20
Mar 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
I was under the impression that to get the best sound you should get mics made specifically for their own thing.

not sure i agree with that.

yeah, if you want to spend more, fantastic. i'm a big fan of the shure ksm32 (around $500, i think).

regarding matching a mic to a source, it depends. you'll just have to experiment at record time to see which mic matches best that day for that song and that part. i've recorded vox through an sm57 and i'll often use that and a condenser on a guitar cabinet.

Tarkovsky
Mar 23, 2008, 01:18 AM
I think what Zim was hinting at is that spending loads and loads of money on just mics may not be the best course atm for you. The sm57 is an incredible product. It's cheap cause it sells. But you bet you'll find one in ANY studio. A lot of musicians i know just carry one around the whole time anyway. I have one. It's a great mic to start with and the quality is there. But first you should probably learn how to use your software really really well by doing some tutorials. If you can already do that, how about some good quality phones, or if you really have cash to blow some speakers... Both are really important in finding out just what this is all gonna sound like, plus you get to play your favourite cds/files through them. Using a computer and an outboard soundcard will give you better sound quality than some expensive cd players if done right. I think if you're just getting into this, stick with the 57. The 57 is quite good for handling screaming/shouty vocals because it's a dynamic as well. But hey, if you really want nice mics, go for it. You couldn't prize my at4050 from me (unless you had $500 +shipping).

umpahimself
Mar 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think what Zim was hinting at is that spending loads and loads of money on just mics may not be the best course atm for you. The sm57 is an incredible product. It's cheap cause it sells.

Very cool,

I was just making sure that it was a good mic because hey, spending less is cool with me 2, im not trying to go broke ;). Thanks for the speaker hint, i didnt even think about how important that would be. im pretty set in Garageband, ive been using it for a few years recording with my acoustic straight to the MBox and using my iSight as a mic (lol). im just ready to take the recording to the next level and get some good sounding tracks/demos going. so i should get a couple of those mics and they should be good for the guitar/bass amps and vocals? that would be awesome. and then i would just take the mic XLR straight to the MBox correct? what about drums, are they good for that 2?

zimv20
Mar 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
the 57 is a good, versatile mic, but i wouldn't want to record an entire album with them. (i could, but i'd rather not :-)

for mics, i'd go for variety before redundancy. (though you'll eventually want a pair of something to do stereo [and probably *not* sm57's for this])

Liskow
Mar 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes you can run an sm57 straight into an mbox with an XLR. If you're going to buy a pair there are probably better options out there as they won't make a very good stereo image. I've never miked drums but I know the sm57 can be used for it. Of course you are going to need a massive amount of other equipment to do that first, so within the confines of your budget I'd probably just go to a studio and get them done there (or use samples for the moment). Zim knows much more on the subject.

On the subject of phones you can get some really good advice over at head-fi.org. Be aware you have to monitor your stereo mixes on speakers to set a soundstage as headphones treat positioning very differently. They are still totally invaluable, and if you aren't working with massively complex mixes you might get away with it for the time being if you can find some other cheap speakers to use as an occaisional reference. Far from ideal. But you tend to get much better sq out of headphones than speakers @ the same price.
I would think the AKG 271s would be perfect for you. I haven't heard them but they're supposed to be pretty good.

umpahimself
Mar 24, 2008, 05:36 PM
wow, so i think im a lil bit in over my head. so you guys are saying that i need to be recording with dual mics at once for one audio track because it has to be stereo? and they should be 2 diff types of mics? as for the drums im not even gunna worry about that now. now i need what brand and model mics to be researching and what other equipment i need for vocals

zimv20
Mar 24, 2008, 06:54 PM
i need to be recording with dual mics at once for one audio track because it has to be stereo?

no, no, not saying that at all.

i'm sticking with the sm57 and AT 2020 suggestion. *at some point*, you may want to record in stereo, such as recording drum overheads. at that time, you should stick with 2 mics of the same type, but i don't suggest the sm57 for that specific role.

the sm57 and AT 2020 both work as vocal mics, and both work on electric guitar cabinet. but each may be first choice over the other for other roles. for example:

sm57: snare, screaming vocals, close guitar cabinet
AT 2020: acoustic guitar, violin, soft female vox

umpahimself
Mar 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
ooooh, i see. that makes alot of sense. so, just out of curiosity, what are some good more expensive mics. just to research and maybe get later on.

zimv20
Mar 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
what are some good more expensive mics. just to research and maybe get later on.

the better dynamics, like the EV RE20 and Shure SM7, are around $400. you can get into decent condensers starting around $500, like the Shure ksm32 and AT4040.

AKG C414's are ubiquitous. neumann u87's are, as well, for about 3x the price.

the $1000-1400 range will get you into the good ribbons, like the royer r121, coles 4038 and aea r84.

once you get to the $3000 range, there's a whole bunch of good condensers. my dream mic ATM is the bock 251, for a cool $5k. i *wish* i had that kind of money to spend on a mic...

umpahimself
Mar 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
my dream mic ATM is the bock 251, for a cool $5k. i *wish* i had that kind of money to spend on a mic...

hahaha, yeah thats how i felt about my American Tele before i got it. & yes, it is super sweet, i still cant believe that i own it instead of seeing it online or at guitar center. thanks for all the info guys. heres a question. when i was asking about vocal recording mics this guy suggested a sure SM-58 instead of a 57, but i heard a electric guitar recorded with the 57 and really liked it so im leaning towards the 57. will the 57 be just as good for vocals or is the 58 a better choice.