Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
I was thinking of downloading Windows on my Mac

Any advantages and disadvantages points of Windows on Mac would be nice so that I can make a decision, thanks.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Advantage: you can run software made for Windows...
Disadvantages: You need a copy of Windows. It takes up hard drive space.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Hey if you get Windows on your Mac, and get a virus, that will screw your Mac up right?

They are separate partitions. So no. Unless you install software specifically so Windows can write to the OS X partition, which then it could. Be under normal circumstances, it cannot affect the OS X partition. If you get a virus that can't be fixed, you can just reformat the Windows partition.

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
So the Windows partition will be affected and not the Mac partition, right, and if you removed the Windows partition, everything will be fine on your Mac?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Hey if you get Windows on your Mac, and get a virus, that will screw your Mac up right?

Na,in the unlikey event a windows virus did migrate across OS X wouldn't
understand it,the only need for Mac AV would be to scan e-mail attachments
so you dont forward them onto your windows buddy's

edit brian9271 you are correct in the above statment#5,just think of it as like having to separate
OS's but on the same machine

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Great, thanks for the help, now I'm going to see how to get Windows for free, although I might not install it just yet, I gotta see what the pro's say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.