PDA

View Full Version : What do fellow audiophreeks/macphiles recommend in terms of a player/pjone

Tarkovsky
Mar 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
Of course I want the iphone. But currently there are some problems.
Doesn't play FLACs - I want to move to flac as Traktor/ableton like it though currently everything is ALAC so I suppose that's fine
329 for the 16 gig which I'll need as I like full bodied music files
Contracts tie you down for 18months and are expensive
No 3g, which is ridiculous when you live in the UK and 3g is everywhere 4g is rolling out as well

Does anyone have a recommendation of an alternative player in terms of S/Q these features?
I'll hopefully be using custom IEMs.

Killyp
Mar 23, 2008, 10:44 AM
Just use 256 kbps+ AAC or Apple lossless.

FLAC or Apple Lossless on a portable device would be caring more about the sound than the music - and the music is by far the most important.

Lossless is only worth it when you've got masses of storage, which no portable has ('cept maybe the 160gb classic).

Sesshi
Mar 23, 2008, 02:44 PM
No phone plays FLAC. Some might play WMAL but on a Mac you're pretty SOL about encoding it.

I'd agree with Killyp in terms of not being able to tell the difference on the move, but there are certain reasons for wanting to keep the original sound information intact for musicians - and it is a monumental pain (on OS X at least: Under Windows there are better solutions to be had) keeping two lossless/lossy libraries in sync.

I guess it's an iPod Touch + a Gear4 Blueye + a decent phone for you.

Liskow
Mar 23, 2008, 07:16 PM
Tarkovsky here. I got timed out of the forum for calling KillyP an idiot. I apologise for that. It was an overeaction as I haven't slept much lately. However I find it trite that you would lecture me on the differences in the quality of audio codecs outside of the question when all I asked about was FLAC on phones. I also think the mod was on a bit of a power trip. I've seen people ridiculed for their opinion on this forum, but because I was abrupt and gave a blunt impersonal retort that probably did far less to offend than the far more subversive harassment that's commonplace I serve as a nice example. Wonderful.

Ptown Bopper
Apr 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
I spend all day driving around and take along a 16GB iTouch for music. I'm currently switching all my music files to ALAC - over 500 CDs. Right now I've got some 350 songs in ALAC loaded on the iTouch, which is almost a day and a half of continuous play with no repeats - way more than adequate for my listening pleasure. I've still got a couple more GBs of space left. Unless you're going to Outer Mongolia for a year I don't see why you'd need so much space on a player. Every week or two I just delete a playlist that I'm getting tired of and load in another. Takes a couple minutes.