Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

putty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Orange County, CA
Hey all, I'm slowly venturing into the Mac world to see if I should trade my buggy Compaq laptop for a PB and I went to my local Mac store to check them out.

One question I have is about the mousepad: I'm used to mainly using the pad as opposed to the buttons on my Compaq but I wasn't able to do this on the Macs I played with. As in... instead of double-clicking the button, I usually double-tap my finger on the pad. I find it much easier and more convenient.

I was just wondering whether this cannot be done on a Mac, or if it's simply something that you have to setup in the Mac "control panel".

TIA!

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
go to System Preferences from the Apple Menu and the int Mouse and Keyboard.
Go to mouse and look at the bottom you will see options for clicking with the mouse.
Apple disables this by default but you can enable it.
If someone else could post SS's it would be nice - i only know this from a friends 12"PB - he wanted the same thing (bloody windows sers :D).

Good luck

putty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by benixau
go to System Preferences from the Apple Menu and the int Mouse and Keyboard.
Go to mouse and look at the bottom you will see options for clicking with the mouse.
Apple disables this by default but you can enable it.
If someone else could post SS's it would be nice - i only know this from a friends 12"PB - he wanted the same thing (bloody windows sers :D).

Good luck

Thanks! To be honest, it was the one thing I left the store thinking about. ;)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
For a second I thought you were going to ask about using a mousepad (the pad you put your mouse on, or, hippie-speak for a mouse nest) from another computer on a Mac. Now I realize that you're asking about the trackpad. Heh :D

switchingGeek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Dallas, Texas
BTW, you can even get the scrolling functionality!! This is what I thought was totally lacking on my new PB 12" (I switched last month ;-).

But there's this app called SideTrack which allows you to add this. So I have vertical scrolling on the right side of the trackpad, horizontal scrolling on the top of the trackpad (even windows ppl don't have this one AFAIK), click on the pad, click+drag on the pad, and the button itself is right click.. Works very well for me!..

I'm in no way affiliated with http://www.ragingmenace.com but definitely give it a try!!

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
Wow i downloaded that... the scrolling with the touchpad is VERY cool. Now i never use the button because you can click with the trackpad... i have my button set to right click. Very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.