PDA

View Full Version : Storing Library on USB Drive

jonnyman
Mar 23, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I've realised I am running low on hard drive space on my computer and I see that my music collection is largly to blame.
Would I benefit from consolidating my iTunes library and then transfering it to my USB flash drive, which is has more than enough space.
My main concern with this is that it would take a much longer time for music to be accessed by my computer. Would this be a problem, or can you think of any others?

Thanks in Advance,
Jonny

FJ218700
Mar 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
videos might show a slight lag, but I don't think that you'll tell with music. I have several libraries running off USB 2 SATA drives that work fine. Flash will be even faster.

tersono
Mar 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I've realised I am running low on hard drive space on my computer and I see that my music collection is largly to blame.
Would I benefit from consolidating my iTunes library and then transfering it to my USB flash drive, which is has more than enough space.
My main concern with this is that it would take a much longer time for music to be accessed by my computer. Would this be a problem, or can you think of any others?

Thanks in Advance,
Jonny

My iTunes library is on a network volume which is a whole lot slower than your flash drive - works just fine. =]

jonnyman
Mar 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

ingenious
Mar 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have my (somewhat large) library (116 or so GBs) on an external USB hard drive and I don't notice any lags when playing anything (slight, maybe, with videos).

However, when I sync my iPod, I get errors about not being able to "write or read" my (USB-connected) iPod during sync. Usually, if I'm syncing a lot of TV shows or whatnot, I have to hit sync five or six times to get everything on there.

Just a note of caution; I'm not sure why it happens on my iMac G5.