Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I have an aluminum iMac 24" 2.4 GHz... I'm running Mac OS 10.5.2... and software update says I'm up to date. But I can't seem to use the voice chat in Quake 4.

The other computer is a PPC G5, also running Mac OS 10.5.2 an completely up to date.

Both are set up to send and receive voice chat... with the left control key to control voice. Both computers are at max volume and the speakers are working (the sound effects are playing,) but we can't hear each other. Maybe I'm using the voice control wrong... you hold the button and talk, right? It's like a walky-talky? Does anyone know what's wrong? (I want to use the microphone that's built into my iMac... I know it works because I've recorded with it in GarageBand and iMovie.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
help please, anyone?

I can't get voice chat to work in Quake 4. I gave most details in the first post... a few other things...

We're playing over LAN. It works fine... no lag.
I'm not sure of the version of Quake 4... where can I find out what version I'm running? I've updated it at least once (so that I could take advantage of multiple cores.) I can play online... would I need the most recent version to be able to do that?

Part of the fun of death matches is the trash talk... voice chat seems really important. Right now it's going more like this with shouting between the rooms...

EAT THAT!

What?

I SAID EAT THAT!

I still can't hear you...

I SAID...

never mind...

*Typing: "EAT THAT!"*

Railed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hello?

Help?

Bump!

How do I get voice chat in Quake 4 on my Al, 2.4 GHz, 24" iMac with totally up to date software to work!?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007

geez, has no one tried using the built in mic on the iMac for voice chat in Quake 4 or what?

I did a google search for

Voice Chat Quake 4 Mac...

with none of the returns being relevant it seems.

I also searched the Activision website for Quake 4 Voice Chat. Again... nothing relevant is returned.

So either I'm an idiot and the only person incapable of setting this up... or I'm just the only person who wants to.

byocrysis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo, CA
Quake 4 is kind of an old game. I don't think that this is a pressing issue for most people. Maybe you should go our and buy Quake Wars, then if you have the problem people will actually have solutions for you. I am sorry that you are having problems getting your mic to work, if in the the end you cannot fix it, you could always go out and buy a $20 USB mic. I am sure that would work.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Quake 4 is kind of an old game. I don't think that this is a pressing issue for most people. Maybe you should go our and buy Quake Wars, then if you have the problem people will actually have solutions for you. I am sorry that you are having problems getting your mic to work, if in the the end you cannot fix it, you could always go out and buy a $20 USB mic. I am sure that would work.

... Quake Wars isn't out for Mac yet...

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out it was released March 18th. I'll have to get that soon!

... but seriously, no one's experiencing problems like the one I decided for Quake 4? No one else has even tried Quake 4 on an iMac? I mean, you can't say this topic isn't getting responses because of how old the game is. There are several active topics on Diablo II and WarCraft III (and I see a StarCraft or WarCraft II topic every now and then,) and those a couple years older than Quake 4.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
quake 4's not THAT old - just a couple of years.

Have you contacted aspyr about it?

in the mean time, maybe you can use something like skype or ventrillo or even an audio iChat if it's just a couple of people

EDIT: WOAH WOAH WOAH... WOAH.. WOAH, WOAH WOAH....

woah..

I just noticed u said <I'm not sure of the version of Quake 4... where can I find out what version I'm running? I've updated it at least once (so that I could take advantage of multiple cores.) I can play online... would I need the most recent version to be able to do that?>

You REALLY should update to the latest version if you're having issues. That could fix the problem right there.

To find out the version that you currently have, go to the folder that has Quake 4 on it and click on the icon for the actual application. If you're in column view it'll give you the version on the bottom of the panel on the right. If you're not in column view, then just Get Info on it (cmd+i)

You should have version 1.4.2: http://www.aspyr.com/software/news/4/158

Edit #2: Also, if you want to get Quake Wars, just be aware that it won't run on the G5
"NOTICE: Apple Intel Chipsets only. Power PC Processors (G4 and G5) are not supported" (http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/78)

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
If i look at the specs of quak wars it seems the 8800 video card that is in the Mac Pro early 2008 ( as a upgrade ) is not suporrted yet so i gues i won't be going there ;-).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.