Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hello everyone,
Lately I have gone on a music rampage, and have come to realize that I have no idea what I am doing.

First off, I am using Audio Hijack Pro as my app of choice to record from other sources. Say I am recording from an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps. Using Audio Hijack Pro, what settings would let me record in the highest quality? Apple lossless, and then convert to mp3? or just record directly into mp3? I am using some very good headphones to listen to this music, so I want to have the best quality in sound.

Second, Lets say that I have an .flv file on my hard drive, and I wanted to get the audio from that file, what would be the best way to do this that will allow me to get the highest quality audio? Also, how would I get audio out of other video files, cause I can think of some other video formats that I would like to get the audio from.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks a lot

revenantphoenix

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
i would recommend "VisualHub". It's not free, but it converts practically any video into any other video type. It can do flv to ipod m4a in one conversion ,rather than converting to mp4, then to mov, then import into itunes, then convert to ipodm which takes like half an hour. It's very nice.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
First off, I am using Audio Hijack Pro as my app of choice to record from other sources. Say I am recording from an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps. Using Audio Hijack Pro, what settings would let me record in the highest quality? Apple lossless, and then convert to mp3? or just record directly into mp3? I am using some very good headphones to listen to this music, so I want to have the best quality in sound.
To have the best quality, NEVER DO THIS. Lossy to lossy transcodes = no go. If you absolutely have to convert files like this, use a file converter like Max. Recording using Audio Hijack Pro is just silly.

Second, Lets say that I have an .flv file on my hard drive, and I wanted to get the audio from that file, what would be the best way to do this that will allow me to get the highest quality audio? Also, how would I get audio out of other video files, cause I can think of some other video formats that I would like to get the audio from.
Anything in FLV automatically = LOW quality audio, and anything you convert it to is going to be EVEN LOWER QUALITY. That said, if you have Perian and QuickTime Pro installed, you can open the FLVs in QuickTime Player, extract the audio track, export to AIFF and then convert using something like Max.

Clearly the basics of lossy digital audio elude you, though, so I have to question how much you actually know about "the highest possible quality." The highest possible quality = lossless compression from lossless sources.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
visual hub does not allow you to strip the audio from a video file. it just converts video files.

What can strip the audio from an flv file?

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
sorry I didn't mention this earlier. But there is a very simple way of doing this and much more with a free software program (okay, it's shareware, but the only thing you get is a message when you start the program, all the rest functions normally)

It's called ffmepgX and all you have to do is drag your .flv to the "from" box and choose "movie audio to .mp3" in the "to" box. Click encode, and you're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.