Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
A friend of mine found what sounds from the description to be an iBook on the pavement a week or two. He was cycling at 6:30 in the morning and it was just lying on the pavement apparently. He's now got it at home, but having told the police they've not had anyone come forward to claim it.

How do you check on the computer for the owners details, which you have you put in when you register the laptop? I've looked on mine and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
There is a program called Address Book which should installed on the iBook, which should have the owner's name/address. Also, check on the Sharing preference panel for the computer's name (usually named after the owner, and on the Accounts preference.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you're talking about the serial number, pull down the 2 little clips and turn the center one 180* and lift up the keyboard to find all the information of the iBook. If the computer boots up, you can however like others have suggested check the Address Book for any phone numbers or email addresses to see if you can get in contact with the rightful owner.

If no one comes forward and your friend wants to sell it, I might be interested in buying it.

alexjdb

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
Yep and even the account name, you could check in your Yellow Pages for that name. That's weird lol, find an iBook on the pavement.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
hah thats the strangest place to find it, by the way was there also a guy beside the book whom your cycling buddy beat up in order to get the laptop. Just kidding, but to all honesty if that was the case, i would personally keep it, hah i was about to say that i am an honest person, but now i cant, thats kids is what is called a perfect example of paradox.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for your help folks. Hopefully it won't get sorted and they'll get to keep it/sell it to me cheaply.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Do you realize that if he had found a Hell, sorry Dell, or Toilet Packard, sorry Hewlett Packard, he'd probably would not even picked up from the pavement, maybe also ran through!

Anyways, if that is his first Mac tell him to keep it, it might be a sign from God to him, so he can turn to the Bright side of Computers and get out of the Dark Side :p

On the other hand, there should be someone moaning, crying or even suicide by now, because of this situation.:(

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Well, it does work, but all he could tell me was that it's white, has an apple on the front, and was 'assembled' in 2005. I'll have to ring and talk him through how to use it, i don't think he's ever used a mac before.

It doesn't seem as if anyone is missing it, because they've told the police they've got it and no one has come forward. It's in good condition too apparently, looking like it had been put on the ground, and not dropped or anything. It's all pretty strange, but if they get a free computer, they won't be complaining.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
What he needs to do is get himself a fresh copy of Leopard and start with a clean slate.

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
its probably the same as mine, 12" 1.33GHZ G4 off 2005:rolleyes:
Which are common models people,Common MODELS!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:>>>>>>>>

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Found Owner

Well it's all sorted now.

The owner has their iBook back, which is very nice for them. Apparently their house was broken into as well as 5 others by the same people in 1 night. They had two laptops stolen, didn't hear about the other one.

I was able to get hold of them by finding their skype name, which was the name of a company, then googling it, which came up with a phone number for them. Not too hard really.

They sent a bunch of flowers to my friends to say thank-you which was nice of them.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
Do you realize that if he had found a Hell, sorry Dell, or Toilet Packard, sorry Hewlett Packard, he'd probably would not even picked up from the pavement, maybe also ran through!

Anyways, if that is his first Mac tell him to keep it, it might be a sign from God to him, so he can turn to the Bright side of Computers and get out of the Dark Side :p

On the other hand, there should be someone moaning, crying or even suicide by now, because of this situation.:(

I don't think everyone is color blinded like you :p

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
My girlfriends husband drives a wrecker and they find all types of things in totaled cars. They may not be in the best condition...an 80gb ipod that has some problems and even a old imac (white w/camera) but the camera did not work but the system did. Most people don't pick up their stuff because they would have to pay fees like tow and storage or the stuff is stolen and the driver is in jail. Sometimes the owner is in the hospital and forget all about it. I don't know at what date the stuff goes from 'lost/found' to 'who wants it' but unless its a great deal of cash or drugs the police don't get informed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.