Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Is mac the ripper still the only choice for ripping my DVD's (I own them all) to my hard drive???

I used it on my powerbook, but it doesn't seem to have been updated SINCE i had my powerbook? Is it still the best even though it's long in the tooth?

What about DVD converting programs? Is handbrake still number 1?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Mac the ripper 3 is currently in beta, and it will be universal binary. You can donate to the cause to get access to the beta. However, the current version still works well in OS X. Hopefully MTR 3 will be faster.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mac the ripper 3 is currently in beta, and it will be universal binary. You can donate to the cause to get access to the beta. However, the current version still works well in OS X. Hopefully MTR 3 will be faster.

Is MTR considered slow when it actually rips a 2+ hour long DVD in 20 minutes? This is on a older PowerBook at that.
It was handbreak and the Apple TV encoding that took 15+ hours on my PB...that was painful.

quadgirl

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2006
What's your objective? To watch them on your Powerbook? If so, use Handbrake but avoid H264 encodings. Your Powerbook will simply hate you for it :( Instead use the FFmpeg mp4 setting in Handbrake. As long as you give it enough bitrate, your movies will look good and the movies will complete in around real time.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Is MTR considered slow when it actually rips a 2+ hour long DVD in 20 minutes? This is on a older PowerBook at that.
It was handbreak and the Apple TV encoding that took 15+ hours on my PB...that was painful.

It seems more like 40 mins when running in the background.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

MTR 3's been in beta, and been a "donate-ware" for years. I basically consider MTR abandonware at this point.

I do still use it though, it's great at what it does.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
there's an app called Drive-In which does the samething as Mac The Ripper. It's in beta right now.
http://www.flip4mac.com/drivein.htm

It leaves the Protection files in place though. I used mac the ripper 50% of the time so I could watch movies on the go.... 50% of the time so I could remove the protection files so I could us hand break (I find hand break has a lot of issues converting some of my DVD's (Like Me Myself and Irene.... it hated that movie for some reason...)

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
The best route I've found so far is Fairmount to DVD2OneX, remove empty cells, feed output to MPEGStreamclip, fix time breaks then encode. Have yet to find one that won't work on.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
40 minutes seems a bit much. Do you do the main feature only? That'll also speed life up. For me I've done it all in under 40 but main feature only in about 15-20.

My objective now a days is to get the DVDs on my Apple TV so I think I need the h264 BS...I'm not great at all this so I just go with what I learn online. ;)

quadgirl

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2006
My objective now a days is to get the DVDs on my Apple TV so I think I need the h264 BS...I'm not great at all this so I just go with what I learn online. ;)

A Powerbook G4 is going to struggle doing anything bigger than 320x240 H.264. If your objective is Apple TV, only Turbo.264 should be considered. Although it costs, you should expect real time encodes that are high quality. I've used it several times on a Powerbook and it's so simple - simply a drag and drop affair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.