PDA

View Full Version : My iBook G4 Pictures

huntsman
Nov 4, 2003, 10:01 PM
Some pics of my new 12" iBook G4 :) They are a bit grainy because they were taken at night with a flash:

(pics no longer available)

Please don't post the above link elsewhere, as I have a limited bandwidth allowance.

Now my impressions of the new iBook. Firstly, I'm neither a laptop or Mac user, so I've nothing to compare it to. That said, it doesn't feel as sturdy as I expected--the iBook has a reputation for being rugged, but I wouldn't want to drop it. The latch that holds the display when the iBook is closed is tiny, and there is a gap betwen the display and base along the edges, with some give when you press down on the top. I was expecting a more solid, clamped-shut feel to it when closed.

The most pleasing thing about it is the noise--or lack of it. In a room without air conditioning, in this warm late spring Australian climate, I haven't heard its fan come on at all during the past two days of use. This is with the default power management settings, and with or without the AC adaptor connected. And the hard disk (a 40GB Fujitsu) is virtually silent whether idle or active, the latter being slightly annoying. Since there's neither a aural for visual reference, it's hard to tell when the hard disk is doing something.

One thing that isn't silent is the combo drive. For such a small and delicate device, the slot mechanism is surprisingly noisy when inserting and ejecting discs. At full spin, the noise and vibration is a bit ridiculous. It runs too fast when playing audio CDs--it needs to be slowed down here to 1X or something. During DVD playback, it runs much slower and quieter, but still makes enough noise to be at least slightly annoying.

The 12" screen is good, but not spectacular. In particular, its colour reproduction appears inferior to my hp 17" LCD monitor (which itself is inferior to my CRT monitors). I've run the display calibration and it improved a little by switching to "television" mode. Thankfully, I haven't spotted any of the dreaded dead or stuck pixels.

My favourite feature is definitely the way it sleeps, with its white light pulsating at the front from beneath the chassis. Dropping its power consumption down to 1-5W, then being able to resume your work within a couple of seconds, is brilliant.

So that's about it. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper. Now I just have to see if I can get Linux working on it :D

CrackedButter
Nov 5, 2003, 02:12 AM
Why did you buy it by the way?

manitoubalck
Nov 5, 2003, 02:18 AM
Your photography leaves a little to be Desired (try zooming out a little, and buying a light)

Good review though maybe post in the product review fourm

huntsman
Nov 5, 2003, 06:35 AM
It's the best my cheap Kodak can do with quick snapping indoors under incandescent lighting. I might take it outside on the weekend and take some better looking pics.

I just added one more crappy pic showing it with the accessories. The wonderful little AC adaptor in particular is one thing I didn't mention in my comments. It's reasonably small and light, uses only one thin cord (no annoying black box with one thin and one mains cord--though the latter is included if you want to extend its reach), doesn't block other power sockets, and has two hooks for neatly winding the power cord. It does, however, make a slight high-pitched noise when plugged in to the wall socket but not the iBook. When plugged into the iBook, it goes away and switches to a very faint (inconsequential) buzzing.

Oh, to answer CrackedButter's question: I plan to use the iBook to take over the world. Wanna join me? :D

Icekey
Nov 5, 2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks for posting. By the way, I don't think Netspace charges for people viewing your photos mate.

The gap is supposed to be there to try and protect the screen from touching the keys when closed. A suggestion I would strongly like to make is to go to like lincraft and get yourself a sheet of microfiber cloth. Cut it and place it inbetween the keys and the screen. It will prevent marks from getting onto your screen. Everytime you type, you'll end up leaving a bit of oil from your fingers onto the keyboard, and that'll collect some dust, and eventually when you close the lid, the keys will touch the screen, and the dust and oil will get transferred to your screen.

When taking photos, instead of using a flash, get yourself a lamp and direct the lamp towards the iBook. That'll help produce nice photos

CmdrLaForge
Nov 5, 2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by huntsman

Oh, to answer CrackedButter's question: I plan to use the iBook to take over the world. Wanna join me? :D

Thats interesting, I got the iBook G3 900MHz as well to take it with me while I'll travel once around the world.

Where do you want to go ? Maybe we meet in Australia

SilentPanda
Nov 5, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Thats interesting, I got the iBook G3 900MHz as well to take it with me while I'll travel once around the world.

Where do you want to go ? Maybe we meet in Australia

huntsman wants to take over the world, not travel it... sheesh! :D

iEric
Nov 5, 2003, 09:19 AM
ur tempting me to sell me PB500 and buy this..but idont want a 12" screen ad dont have $ for the 14"
i'll just stay with my pb g4 500

phaeton
Nov 5, 2003, 10:44 AM
... did apple change the garamond font on their stuff?

i liked it. looked more elegant btw.

but anyway. good buy. i got mine for about 1.5 years now and it worked without a hitch from day one.

primalman
Nov 5, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by phaeton
... did apple change the garamond font on their stuff?

i liked it. looked more elegant btw.

but anyway. good buy. i got mine for about 1.5 years now and it worked without a hitch from day one.

Ya, many moons ago. Myriad is now the Apple corporate typeface. It has been on the PowerBooks, iMacs, and eMacs for about 1 year now. The 'G5' is set in Myriad on the heatsinks. A needed and pleasant update. While Garamond is one of the bests typefaces ever designed, the custom narrowed Apple face was feeling a little long in the tooth.