PDA

View Full Version : Startup Applications

theacemaan
Nov 4, 2003, 10:14 PM
How do i add an app, i.e. a weather app, to load at startup?

i am running jaguar

Frisco
Nov 4, 2003, 10:17 PM
System Preferences--Login Items

note: In Panther they are called Startup Items and are in System Preferences-Accounts-Startup Items

krossfyter
Nov 5, 2003, 01:04 AM
whats the point?... other then to eliminate you manually having to do it? i mean how hard is it to manually just move your cursor and click? im not trying to start something here i am just curious as to what all the hype is on startup applications. in the whole scheme of things this is insiginificant.... but im still curious. maybe you all know something i dont and if so i want to learn.

:D

edesignuk
Nov 5, 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
whats the point?... other then to eliminate you manually having to do it?
I have always set them. I like to login and have all the apps open I will use. iChat, iCal, MSN Msgr, Mail, WeatherPop, & Konfabulator all open upon login. It takes about 10-15secs for them all to launch, but it saves me time manually starting them all up later.

Doctor Q
Nov 5, 2003, 01:13 AM
Another advantage is that you can hide them automatically, by checking the "Hide" checkbox.

I do this with ClipboardSharing (http://www.lagercrantz.ath.cx/software/clipboardsharing/), for example.

edesignuk
Nov 5, 2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Another advantage is that you can hide them automatically, by checking the "Hide" checkbox.

I do this with ClipboardSharing (http://www.lagercrantz.ath.cx/software/clipboardsharing/), for example.
Another good point, I do that with iCal & Mail. This way if I have anything I need to remember iCal will remind me, and I will see if I actually need to open mail from the icon :D

theacemaan
Nov 5, 2003, 05:33 AM
i don't know if clipboard sharing is what i want but i'm trying to prevent from having to navigate to my applications folder throught the dinder every time i start up to load an app i might want tunning continually. i could just add it to the dock, but i',m a fan of minimal dock clutter, and like to save it for real apps, not for utilities