PDA

View Full Version : The risk for Apple iPhone users: They know too much

MacBytes
Mar 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The risk for Apple iPhone users: They know too much (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080323235100)
Description:: Do YOU know "everything" yet?

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

yoyo5280
Mar 23, 2008, 10:54 PM
Haha! I wonder what its like when your a know nothing like me. You will end up backing up your mates!

Genghis Khan
Mar 23, 2008, 11:07 PM
i like how she put it

'I'm now a know it all with an internet to back me up':p

macFanDave
Mar 23, 2008, 11:31 PM
The other night I used my iPhone at dinner to name all of the member countries of OPEC. I had almost all of them, except Angola. And I found out that Ecuador re-joined a few months ago.

Too bad I wasn't at the table when the stat argument broke out -- I could've gotten that one off the top of my head FTW!

skeep5
Mar 23, 2008, 11:55 PM
This is so funny, and true. I was hiking a mountain in Arizona and a old couple from outta town asked me where another peak was, and i didn't have the answer but my iPhone did! So i whipped it out (the phone) and told them. What a nerd.

winmacguy
Mar 24, 2008, 01:06 AM
The other night I used my iPhone at dinner to name all of the member countries of OPEC. I had almost all of them, except Angola. And I found out that Ecuador re-joined a few months ago.

Too bad I wasn't at the table when the stat argument broke out -- I could've gotten that one off the top of my head FTW!

I have seen that "stat" word used a lot on print proofs but I had no idea what it meant other than to correct an error that it highlighted.

Moonlight
Mar 24, 2008, 03:23 AM
I have seen that "stat" word used a lot on print proofs but I had no idea what it meant other than to correct an error that it highlighted.

On a proof it is "stet" not "stat" and it means to forget a correction marked on the proof.

winmacguy
Mar 24, 2008, 04:46 AM
On a proof it is "stet" not "stat" and it means to forget a correction marked on the proof.

Ah ok, thanks for that.

t0mat0
Mar 24, 2008, 05:50 AM
Stat being an abbreviation statistic, or the latin for immediately.
I need the stats on 3G iPhone, stat!

ZiggyPastorius
Mar 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
Good thing it's only Apple iPhone users. Us Microsoft iPhone users are safe ;)

montex
Mar 24, 2008, 01:01 PM
During the Washington Caucuses, I showed up at the wrong location along with a few of my neighbors. I used my iPhone to find the correct location for my prescient along with the other people's. It was pretty cool.

nagromme
Mar 25, 2008, 12:56 AM

Would you believe, Urban Dictionary (sometimes NSFW) has the full latin explanation? Stet = latin for "let it stand."

Good thing it's only Apple iPhone users. Us Microsoft iPhone users are safe ;)

Now I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Windows Mobile working on an iPhone :o

NewSc2
Mar 25, 2008, 03:19 AM
I see the same situations but I don't think it's the know-it-all... it's almost like people are jealous of the iPhone, or think iPhone owners are bringing out the phone just to show it off.

I rarely bring out my iPhone to settle debates, especially at bars. With the slow and sometimes non-existent EDGE connection, it can take a minute or more to find something out -- enough time for the conversation to switch, and more time wasted than I'd care for.

iphonewiz
Mar 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
I've helped 3 people find their destinations after overhearing their conversations with the gas station attendant!

One of them was a beautiful woman! Didn't get the digits......My girlfriend was not having it! :D

ruckus
Mar 27, 2008, 01:32 PM
it gets worse still. Sometimes when I am out to dinner with my fiance', I notice that there is no conversation at the table, both of use are just staring at our iPhones.

The constant access to information is great, but also can be a burden.

Jcoz
Mar 27, 2008, 02:58 PM
it gets worse still. Sometimes when I am out to dinner with my fiance', I notice that there is no conversation at the table, both of use are just staring at our iPhones.

The constant access to information is great, but also can be a burden.

This is my biggest challenge in marraige. An addiction to the internet. An addiction that I'm about to strap a Nitrous tank to. (Getting an iPhone next week) i always at least have an open laptop near me when I'm on the couch.

EB66
Mar 28, 2008, 05:33 PM
dang thats true i used to be a little bit like that haha

puckhead193
Mar 28, 2008, 05:44 PM
well i don't have an iphone but i do have a blackberry. We went out drinking one night and it came up why flamingo's are pink sure enough.... went on my browser and found the answer ( i was right :p)
Owning a smartphone I have no idea how i will ever live with a normal phone ever again :eek: