Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markusm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Studio City, CA
I have been using Boot Camp with Win XP x64 since November successfully on my Mac Pro.

Recently I was doing continuous work in an application in Windows, so I set boot camp to boot up using the Windows partition (so I wouldn't need to hit the option key all the time). No problems.

When I wanted to switch back to OS X I suddenly couldn't access the boot menu (using the option key), nor boot from CD/DVD ("c"). I am stuck in Windows.

Has anyone else had this?
Has anyone solved this or something similar?

markusm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Studio City, CA
Try changing the default OS in the boot camp control panel.

I can only access the start up disk control panel on the Windows side, and it only shows me Windows XP as the option.

Is there an easy way to add the OS X partition to the startup control panel.

Based on the partion names I see in the boot.ini file, I figure I can probably change my boot.ini to show the OS X partition as part of the startup control panel. Has anyone done that manually?

markusm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Studio City, CA
Never mind. My bad. The apple keyboard needs to be connected directly to the workstation's USB port (not through the Apple Cinema Screen USB hub) for the "option" key to "take effect" when I start up the workstation. Interesting that this suddenly started happening without anything changing. Oh well.
Sorry for taking up the bandwidth.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Have a look at BootPicker (see my sig), this lets you choose which OS you want to boot into - it has a very cool interface and is very easy to use.

I can only access the start up disk control panel on the Windows side, and it only shows me Windows XP as the option.

Is there an easy way to add the OS X partition to the startup control panel.

Based on the partion names I see in the boot.ini file, I figure I can probably change my boot.ini to show the OS X partition as part of the startup control panel. Has anyone done that manually?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Have a look at BootPicker (see my sig), this lets you choose which OS you want to boot into - it has a very cool interface and is very easy to use.

What's with the blog spam? Just link directly to it - http://www.bombich.com/software/bootpicker.html :rolleyes:

While BootPicker is nice, it requires you to boot into OS X first to select Windows, which doesn't seem very efficient. It would be great if they figured out how to replace the boot loader with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.