Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hi, has anyone else noticed this with embedded videos in Firefox? It's been bugging me for months!

Here's the video playing:

2357908090_ed88f936bb_o.png

Then, if you put it in the background, or change the volume (and the volume indicator goes over the video), the colours change:

2357907898_1369549227_o.png

Now, I tend to think the second one looks more like it should, and the first one looks washed out - but it may be the other way round. I'm noticing this on both my Macs, both running 10.5.2, both on the latest Firefox and Quicktime and Flip4Mac... (where appropriate).

I think I also noticed it in RealPlayer when it's playing full-screen...

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I felt like once the task transfered to video player, its their job afterward.

anyway to re-produce this problem with standalone media player?

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
This has to do with Video Overlays and the Graphic Card settings, espically since the problem is corrected when other graphic instances come into play here.

Unfortunatly I do not know how to correct the problem because Mac locks up its stuff so tight. It not like windows where you can tweak overlay settings and update graphics drivers at your discretion.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Yup, it's definitely something to do with the overlays. Whenever something comes up on the screen, the colours look right. This doesn't happen in VLC or QuickTime stand-alone, but it does happen in RealPlayer, which has an overlay appear so you can change the screen size (1x, 2x, Full Screen - that kinda thing...)

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
I am having this exact same problem. When the video overlay optimizations setting is ticked in prefs, the colours will become washed out. but changing volume or any other overlay over it, it works. you can fix it by not ticking the overlay box, but the video quality is lower.

can you guys post your specs?
Mine: Macbook Air 1.6/80GB, 10.5.2, Realplayer 11 beta (Version 11.0.0 (631))

I dont have this issue on my Mac Pro (x1900) or my girlfriend's mac mini (gma950).

Evidence:
the video paused, whilst it shows the washed out colours, then hover over it to get the overlay and then colours are fixed. however if you play the video again the colours will become bugged again.
realwashoutuj8.png
realoverlayedue9.png

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I have a black macbook, early 2008, 2.4 ghz penryn, 4gb ram with mac os x 10.5.2. the problem occurs using the latest version of firefox 2 and quicktime. I also have flip4mac and Perian installed but this problem occurs even when I'm on Apple's movie trailer website watching native quicktime formats.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
I'm on firefox 3 beta5 now and still have this issue with realmedia that is embedded. Don't know if this is a x3100 issue or leopard, or the software used to play the videos.

annoying to the max.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I'm on firefox 3 beta5 now and still have this issue with realmedia that is embedded. Don't know if this is a x3100 issue or leopard, or the software used to play the videos.

annoying to the max.

what about with quicktime like the movie trailers on apple's website?

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
as far as i can tell the quicktime videos seem ok. i use the apple trailers site occasionally and so far its been ok. which trailer do you have the most obvious problem with? I'll try it.

MY problem is realmedia, and since alot of the videos on the BBC news website uses RM clips, they are the ones that flash in contrast and appear washed out.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
as far as i can tell the quicktime videos seem ok. i use the apple trailers site occasionally and so far its been ok. which trailer do you have the most obvious problem with? I'll try it.

I just went to apple's site and it seems like i'm having trouble with all of them. The trailers all play fine but if I hit the sound up/down buttons on my keyboard and the volume indicator comes up, the quicktime video becomes darker and less washed out looking. Then when the volume indicator fades, the video goes back to the washed out look. Pretty much just like the problem the OP has.

So far, I've been dealing with this problem by right clicking on one of the corners of the video so the menu pops up just enough to remove the washed out look but doesn't block any of the video. It's annoying but works.

pengrus

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I have the same issue with VIEWING PHOTOS.

Is it a firefox setting thing?

Thanks!

rscott

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Did anyone ever find a fix to the washed out video problem? It drives me nuts. I have a black Macbook 2.2ghz with the X3100.

pengrus

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Thanks Clevin. That is big help. i did that enable change and restarted firefox, now I have perfect color!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.