Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
In Windows Outlook Express, I can set up accounts for news servers as easily as setting up mail accounts, but I can't find anything similar in Mail or Safari.

Can anyone please suggest a good newsreader for Mac OSX? I am tired of having to exit OSX and log on to Windows on my Mac Pro just to be able to read the newsgroups.

Thanks for any advice.

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
In Windows Outlook Express, I can set up accounts for news servers as easily as setting up mail accounts, but I can't find anything similar in Mail or Safari.

Can anyone please suggest a good newsreader for Mac OSX? I am tired of having to exit OSX and log on to Windows on my Mac Pro just to be able to read the newsgroups.

Thanks for any advice.

How about Thunderbird from Mozilla. And for $$$ you could use Entourage.

SCR

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I tried downloading and installing Netscape, based on advice elsewhere but it doesn't seem to have a way of setting up a newsgroup account.
I will look at Thunderbird.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Thanks everyone.
Netscape was crap, but Thunderbird is just what I was looking for, and it's free.
I set it up just for newsgroups and will continue using Mail and Safari for mail and internet since they have worked well so far.
Now I can read newsgroups without having to exit OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.