PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 demand?

groovebuster
Nov 5, 2003, 02:31 AM
I ordered an iBook G4 to replace my PowerBook G3 (Wallstret) as a subnotebook. I also chose some BTO options, since a 30GB harddrive is way to small for me as well as Bluetooth and Airport Extreme are two desirable features for me.

So what really suprised me was that they only needed 36 hours between the approval of the order and getting it out for shipment.

I expected a high demand for a brand new product like this and that I would have to wait at least a week before it would ship, also considering my BTO changes to the original configuration.

Any thoughts?

groovebuster

groovebuster
Nov 6, 2003, 07:12 AM
So no thoughts... :cool:

I seem to be the only one to find that question interesting. :rolleyes:

groovebuster

Cuckoo
Nov 6, 2003, 07:30 AM
Yeah, guess so

;)

Cuckoo

Cuckoo
Nov 6, 2003, 07:35 AM
But to be serious, i think apple had more time to plan the Ibook G4 launch. Not like the PB, it was rushed i think (hence a lot of the problems).

The IBook has been planned and build ahead.

Could be wrong

Cuckoo

question fear
Nov 6, 2003, 07:44 AM
maybe apple was worried about getting burned again by poor availability *ala g5, albooks*, and super-stocked the ibooks.
--carly

dieselg4
Nov 6, 2003, 07:50 AM
to add the previous comment, I think Apple probabaly anticipated volume orders from shools for iBooks as well, plus I don't think as many people were expecteing or waiting for iBooks to go G4.

fukuhela
Nov 6, 2003, 08:09 AM
The reason could also be that all new computers go straight to US and then Apple let the rest of the world wait.

For example I haven't seen the new 15" PB i any stores where I live. Of course that goes as well for the new iBook. All dealers are very angry with the way Apple they handle the international market.

As for the Dual G5 i wont even start.... Just saying the store where Apple gets the biggest exposure in my country have orders way back from june that they can't fullfil that's five months.

The US are so spoiled:D

dieselg4
Nov 6, 2003, 08:13 AM
just curious, but is there a delay with pc's in international sales, like wiht new sony's and dells?

Icekey
Nov 6, 2003, 08:35 AM
In regards to the comments about Apple products being under supply in other countries other then that of the US, it is true. I've been waiting 6 weeks for my iPod 20 gig. It's to do with demand and supply. So far the US is the only country that has local Apple Stores. Here in Australia, we only have Apple Centres which are independent resellers of Apple products. What happens is that it's like ordering from Apple Store online. First come first serve. If you end up with a reseller that isn't aggressive and only orders when a customer comes, then they will never have stock and keep making one wait, just like myself. With all the other products, companies usually make sure that there is enough stock, and what not. Apple is the only company that can get away with keeping customers wait for so long I believe

groovebuster
Nov 6, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by fukuhela
The reason could also be that all new computers go straight to US and then Apple let the rest of the world wait.

Unlikely. I am located in Germany and did the order for the iBook G4 from here to my german address. And the G5s also showed up around the same time as in the USA...

What I heard is that Apple serves the Apple Store customers first and then the other Apple retailers.

fukuhela
Nov 6, 2003, 11:35 AM
ust curious, but is there a delay with pc's in international sales, like wiht new sony's and dells?

Ther might be a small timelag on those products as well but nothing near the timelag on Apple. Some of the stores here sell outdated Macs above the prices for the new models. E.g. I can get an eMac 700 MHz for 75$ more than the new 1GHz models (same specs except for CPU).
And that's because we don't get anything new in here in Denmark (No it is not the capital of Sweden) :D

Unlikely. I am located in Germany and did the order for the iBook G4 from here to my german address. And the G5s also showed up around the same time as in the USA...

What I heard is that Apple serves the Apple Store customers first and then the other Apple retailers.

I might seek south the next I'm gonna purchase a new mac. How is the supply of Macs in the stores in Berlin?