Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I ran into the first problem related to the single USB port today - I needed to install software via the external drive (no other option for me at home) and have my HP C4280 printer plugged in at the same time.

Get a USB hub and no problem, right? Wrong. My MBA external drive is a MIA external drive when plugged into the Belkin four port hub. My ethernet cable likes it fine, but the external drive only seems to work when it monopolizes the MBA USB port.

Ideas?

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
It's not a power issue, people run into the same thing with powered usb hubs, its a firmware issue. The drive only works directly connected to the MBA, which is also why it doesn't work on other computers. See the product reviews at store.apple.com

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
It's not a power issue, people run into the same thing with powered usb hubs, its a firmware issue. The drive only works directly connected to the MBA, which is also why it doesn't work on other computers. See the product reviews at store.apple.com

While it is possible that the drives firmware looks for an MBA, it's also been reported that the Superdrive draws more juice (and he MBA USB port is capable of supplying it) than a "normal" usb port puts out-thus even a powered hub will be short in supplying sufficient power to run the drive.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
The Superdrive does not draw more power. That was a rumor before the drives actually shipped, arstechnica, giz and engadget all found that the mba usb ports put out the same power as every other high speed usb port.

edit: for proof go to system profiler > usb and look at the power power, everything draws 500a

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
As for ways to get around the issue, have you tried using remote disk to install the software while the printer is connected.

darwiniandude

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
as soon as my external drive arrives, I shall be connecting it to a hacked USB extension lead and 1.5a (if needed) 5v psu and see if it want to eat disc! :)

If it works, I'll hodify a Hun to provide full power to one port.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
As for ways to get around the issue, have you tried using remote disk to install the software while the printer is connected.

No other wireless computer in the house to make that work. I'll copy the HP install software onto my HD and then re-connect the hub (including the printer) into the USB port. Then the install software should be able to see the printer and I can complete the installation. Once complete my external drive can go back to the closet for a another month.

stakis

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
No other wireless computer in the house to make that work. I'll copy the HP install software onto my HD and then re-connect the hub (including the printer) into the USB port. Then the install software should be able to see the printer and I can complete the installation. Once complete my external drive can go back to the closet for a another month.

I don't know if I'm off, but I'm pretty sure that HP supplies all Drivers and Software on their website.... you should be able to just download the same software that you have on the CD and run it off your HD....

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I don't know if I'm off, but I'm pretty sure that HP supplies all Drivers and Software on their website.... you should be able to just download the same software that you have on the CD and run it off your HD....

This was my solution. I copied the installer from the CD to the HD. Once done, I was free to use the USB hub for my ethernet and the printer. It turned out to be an old installer (nice going HP) so I went to the web site for the latest and greatest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.