Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
I am running a MacBook3,1

2.2GHZ
4GB DDR II
120GB HDD
SuperDrive
OSX 10.5.2

My friend has a MacBook pro with the same spec as above plus the better display and GPU.

I wanted to see what the performance diff between mine and his was. We both encoded a video file in visual hub at max settings, both ran at the same speeds... same with other tasks like audio, idvd etc.. the only thing he beat me on was better FPS in WoW.

So aside from the GPU and the few extra ports whats the major difference?

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
So aside from the GPU and the few extra ports whats the major difference?
The price ;)

Higher screen resolution (plus choice of matte), multi-touch trackpad, backlit keyboard... and I suppose it may just be a "few extra ports" if you'd never use them, but for a lot of people the inclusion of FW800 and dual-link DVI are deal breakers.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
if we consider the middle end model of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook the differences are

- MacBook Pro is 2.5GHz while MacBook is 2.4GHz
- MacBook Pro has 250GB of HDD space while the MacBook only has 160Gb
- MacBook Pro has a 15.4" display, dedicated graphics card, FireWire 800, ExpressCard/34 slot, backlit keyboard & multi touch trackpad while the MacBook does not.
- MacBook Pro has 5 hrs battery life (apparently) while the MacBook has 4.5 hrs
- MacBook Pro has dual link DVI and includes DVI to VGA adapter
- MacBook Pro is 1" thin while MacBook is 1.08"

2rpz1ic.jpg
345cz6a.jpg

i dont think the extra features and better specs are worth the extra 1200 but its definitely a pro machine that users look for if the MacBook is not enough… and hey it sells well!

im thinking about buying a desktop PC for gaming and then selling my MacBook Pro Core Duo and buying a MacBook as its about the price of a new MacBook right now and i get a machine with 512MB more RAM and a Penryn CPU without having to worry about the graphics card. i like the extra features of the MacBook Pro but i would really like a smaller notebook for uni... and no im not gonna buy a MacBook Air... too expensive and i want my CPU power and optical drive! :D

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I think that the people who want/need a MBP are going to know they need an MBP and a realization of their need is not going to happen through a question. So, basically, if you have to ask what is the difference, you might as well get an MB, or keep yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.