Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
UK
Hey people

New to the site, just got my first mac about a month ago.... love it.

Currently fluent in HTML, CSS, and PHP.

Learing JAVA and JSP at moment

Want to get into developing Mac/Iphone apps etc......

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance...
Seb

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
To really be able to program for the iPhone/iPod Touch, you will need to learn C/Objective-C, which won't be all that hard, since it is a short trip from JAVA to C.

As for programming on the Mac, you can use JAVA or C/Objective C. Just make sure you have X-Code installed on your Mac and have at it. Also, don't forget to get the iPhone SDK to get the calls and platform compilier information you will need for the iPhone.

Oh, and Welcome to the World of Macintosh and Macrumors.

TEG

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
As for programming on the Mac, you can use JAVA or C/Objective C. Just make sure you have X-Code installed on your Mac and have at it. Also, don't forget to get the iPhone SDK to get the calls and platform compilier information you will need for the iPhone.

Just to be clear, you will have to use Objective-C on the iPhone. Java is not an option.

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
I definitely wouldn't count on developing in Java for the iPhone. I too come from a Java background, with a lot of C# experience, and I'm working on learning Objective-C. It's a pretty easy pick up once you get into it.

iphonewiz

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Any recommended books or programming resources?

I want to learn object C, but don't know where to begin. I've programmed mainly in web technologies, VB, ASP, Javascript, Cold Fusion, PHP. I've done some Applescript.

The only "real" language I used was NewtonScript which is a true OO language like Smalltalk.

Anyway, should I take a course on C or C++ at my local community college? Should I hire a programmer from Craig's list to sit with me a couple of Saturdays? Any "Got to have" books out there?

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Steven Kochan (who is on this forum) wrote a book. I suggest you start with that one. It is a bit out-dated since Apple updated the language and the tools, but still highly recommended.

After that, search on Lulu.com for another book on ObjC for OS X. I bought the eBook version of that one but they also have a printed version. I prefer eBooks as they take up no physical space so I can carry them around on my laptop to read and don't pile up in my bedroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.