Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
ok so my parents bought me a macbook last christmas, but being not computer people they did not add a superdrive. now i want to burn dvds, but i don't want it external, and apple doesn't sell internal superdrives, and i know owc only sells them for powerbooks, (or atleast i haven't seen any for macbooks) now is it possible for the macbook air remote drive software will work with my macbook? or apple does sell a nice external optical superdrive http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...hop_mac/mac_accessories/storage&nplm=MB397G/A
but i hear it only works for macbook air, why is this? is there any 3rd party remote drive software??

andy input is nice!

thank you, for any future help!

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
as an owner of the MBA and the superdrive, you need to download updates that are specifically for the MBA/Superdrive. It won't operate with other MacBooks. Sorry! :cool:

dang it, i was looking at what comps you have, and dang how did you get the money for all that!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Yes, the MacBook Air SuperDrive will only work with the MBA, since it demands a greater-than-spec amount of power from the USB port.

Toast Titanium has allowed for burning on another machine's optical drive for a while, but that requires another Mac that also has Toast installed.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
Yes, the MacBook Air SuperDrive will only work with the MBA, since it demands a greater-than-spec amount of power from the USB port.

Toast Titanium has allowed for burning on another machine's optical drive for a while, but that requires another Mac that also has Toast installed.

ok i don't have an additional mac, but i do have a couple pc's will it work with them?

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
for upgrade info XLR8yourmac should be one of your first stops.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

here's one report.

Drive Type: DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives
Drive Interface: IDE
Drive Brand: Matshita
Drive Model Number: 4x (didn't include model number)
Driver Used: Apple Standard
Mac Model: Apple MacBook series
Mac OS Version: OS X 10.4
Reader Comments: Last week, I bought a used MacBook that did not have a superdrive in it and upgraded it.
I bought the new drive from iFixit for $199. I normally buy from Powerbook Medic and the drive would have been only $169 from them but they do not have any in stock and could not tell me when they were going to get any in.
The install went just fine however I am used to fixing/replacing parts in these laptops. I also replaced the keyboard as the mouse pad was becoming erratic.

It is a 4x DVD Matishuta (Matshita?) drive.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
If you have a regular macbook, just install a superdrive. You should be able to find one on ebay, look for a "UJ-857" or "UJ-857-C" superdrive and install it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.