PDA

View Full Version : Digital Audio - A beginners guide?

tom.
Mar 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
I love my high bit rate and lossless audio, and I have just got myself a mac pro. Really I am looking for some advice on the best way to output this from the mac pro. On my previous PC i just used a X-Fi connected to my hi-fi.

Mission M-71 Speakers, Denon PMA255UK Amp, Denon CDP and tuner.

Is it worth investing in a new amp for an optical connection? Or is there new technologies which i should be looking into?

I love my progressive rock and metal, and the sound quality is very important to me, it's just such a shame a lack any knowledge in this region. If i can help anybody with hardware/software issues on PC or mac i'd be more than happy to though!

Thanks

Adrien Baker
Mar 25, 2008, 04:45 PM
Well, you could use a USB or FireWire Audio Interface that's commonly used for music creation. They essentially are external soundcards and depending on your needs come with an array of I/O's. For just simply sending a signal you could get a pretty basic one. There's many options in all different price ranges. Common brands are M-Audio, PreSonus, Apogee, etc..

Here's some straight forward info: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

I'm not big into HT stuff but maybe there's a hoody-whoop out there that can convert an optical signal to a L/R RCA signal to work with your old unit? *shrug*

Adrien

zygo
Mar 25, 2008, 05:32 PM
Will the line out not do with a stereo mini-jack to RCA cable?

Unless you want to record also I think an external box would be a bit overkill.

Adrien Baker
Mar 25, 2008, 06:10 PM
Will the line out not do with a stereo mini-jack to RCA cable?

Unless you want to record also I think an external box would be a bit overkill.

I think the OP is looking a bit higher quality signal than a Mini-Jack output. :rolleyes:

He mentioned he has a lot of Hi Bit-Rate and Lossless audio in his library.

Adrien

zimv20
Mar 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
Is it worth investing in a new amp for an optical connection? Or is there new technologies which i should be looking into?

you can get a digital to analog converter which would hook up to the mac optical. i've got a Benchmark DAC-1 doing that and it sounds pretty darn good.

you'd save some $300 by not needing the USB version, as well.

tom.
Mar 26, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, initially I am going to try a straight 3.5mm connection with a higher quality cable. Can anyone recommend good cables, that aren't majority over-priced?

Also would I hear much result from bi-wiring my speakers?

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2008, 03:50 PM
Can anyone recommend good cables, that aren't majority over-priced?

www.procablesnsound.com

Great people, great cables, great prices.

tom.
Mar 26, 2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

EDIT: Solved my problems with S/PDIF and TOSlink

Is there many amps out there with optical connections or am I going to be more in the market for an AV receiver?