PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Great River Preamp

Drumjim85
Mar 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
So i finally did it and bought a Great River ME-1NV (http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/product.cfm?ID=20&type=0)... I've always had access to great gear (and still do), but I've really been wanting to beef up my personal collection...

So my portable recording rack now includes:

-Patchbay
-ME-1NV (preamp)
-Mytek 96ADC (converter)
-M-audio Pro-fire lightbridge (sound card)
-behringer ultragain8000 (only for rough scratch drum tracks at my apartment)

Most things i record will only require 1 or 2 channels at once, so i don't a lot of gear to get the job done.... (except drums...)

zimv20
Mar 25, 2008, 05:47 PM
sweet! let us know how you like it.

i've got a single channel phoenix DRS-1 and i think it's fantastic. someday i mean to pick up a 2-channel GR.

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2008, 10:16 AM
I've actually had the 2ch one before, but we decided it would be better to put that money towards some BAE312a (http://brentaverill.com/products/index.asp?itemnum=2).s ... since we bought 8 of them and a rack, we got a pretty sweet deal (plus some NICE free cables to hook them up)

While they did their job well, i don't think I've recorded a better vocals track than during the test period of that great river...

zimv20
Mar 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
i've got a pair of the 312a's. they get used a lot for makeup gain on my folcrom.

but like you, my drs-1 gets most of my vocal duties. i love me some sweet preamps.

Drumjim85
Apr 2, 2008, 10:19 PM
So I've only been able to record 1 vocal track with this so far... but WOW... before i was using a crappy yamaha mixer for my preamp at home, and the difference is night and day .... Amazing!!! (but i knew this would be the case...;) )

zimv20
Apr 2, 2008, 10:33 PM
which mic did you use?

cschreppel
Apr 2, 2008, 10:48 PM
Those Great River pre's are fantastic! I get a little spoiled at work when I work with 24 channels of remote controlled Grace pre's...

That and a 4 channel Millennia and API don't hurt either ;)

I'm using the Focusrite OctoPre at home with my 002 and it's really great for my needs. I opted instead for a nice outboard compressor with the Rupert Neve 5043 Compressor/Limiter Duo.

Awesome on kick, snare, overheads, drum mix, voice (mostly male), bass, and the 2-mix...which is where it's currently found its home.

A buddy of mine just built an SSL compressor knock-off....VERY VERY close to the one in the G series console...did some A/B tests...amazing.

Anyway, nice score with some of that gear!!

Drumjim85
Apr 2, 2008, 11:35 PM
which mic did you use?

at home i use the groove tube 66 (I think they call it the 55 now) ... I liked it better than the Rode NTK.

but when really doing stuff I'll be using a telefunkin 251

zimv20
Apr 2, 2008, 11:53 PM
but when really doing stuff I'll be using a telefunkin 251

damn! new or vintage?

Drumjim85
Apr 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
damn! new or vintage?

new ... telefunkin "USA" ... but still. it's nice!! (I told you I've always had nice gear available to me ;))