PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I gotta say it.... (I want a new Mini)

crontab
Mar 25, 2008, 05:41 PM
Where's the outrage already?? No updates!! I want a new Mini and have been watching this thread and the apple store for weeks now. After reading the numerous "is this the Tuesday" weekly threads for months......its really annoying that we still have the same old same old. ARGH!!

So, flamers - flame. I have considered my actions here and am ready - but it had to be said. Done.

Silver-Fox
Mar 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
No one reeeaaally cares about the mini

ale500
Mar 25, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm also impatiently expecting... I hope will be soon, I'd thought about today... well It was not :-(... life goes on. I do not really need a new computer... I just want another Mac :apple:

Zwhaler
Mar 25, 2008, 05:45 PM
Uhh, not to be rude, but Apple has zero obligation to release updates whenever the public wants them. If you want a Mac Mini, just buy one already, they are available and are waiting to be purchased. Everyone knows that Apple neglects the Mac Mini, so it might be awhile until a satisfying upgrade will become available for it.

Fonzijr1964
Mar 25, 2008, 05:58 PM

word, all I want is an iMac Update

AnotherTuesday
Mar 25, 2008, 06:04 PM
Uhh, not to be rude, but Apple has zero obligation to release updates whenever the public wants them. If you want a Mac Mini, just buy one already, they are available and are waiting to be purchased. Everyone knows that Apple neglects the Mac Mini, so it might be awhile until a satisfying upgrade will become available for it.

It's true. If the 90s taught us anything, it's that Apple does not have to satisfy customers.

crontab
Mar 25, 2008, 06:16 PM

No offense taken. I have considered just going ahead and buying one but I cannot get beyond this:

"Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"

That is SO ridiculous!

Silver-Fox
Mar 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
No offense taken. I have considered just going ahead and buying one but I cannot get beyond this:

"Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"

That is SO ridiculous!

why?

if your going to game don't get one...

if your doing basic stuff, email, browsing, documents, even a bit of photoshopping, then get it

crontab
Mar 25, 2008, 11:06 PM
why?

if your going to game don't get one...

if your doing basic stuff, email, browsing, documents, even a bit of photoshopping, then get it

I'll tell you why, because I want my cake and I want to eat it too. There is no reason I should have to make such a drastic a compromise as you put it.

Look, I'm not expecting to play a game like Crysis on this thing, but what about a "middle of the road" game like Civilization IV - hell yeah. So take a look at what the game recommends:

Recommended System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz or faster
Video RAM: 128 MB

Sure, does the current mini meet the minimum specs, yes. But it also goes to show you that it already is outdated.

Expecting a brand new mac mini to be more than capable of playing a game such as Civ IV should not even be in question. For my money, all I want is a well-rounded piece of technology at the time of purchase.

Now, before I get hammered about it, why the mini then? I realize if I purchase a MBP that we would not be having this little discussion. For me, two things make the mini a better choice: price and form factor.

Honestly, if I could have exactly what I want, it would be a MBP stuffed into a Minis form AND I would gladly pay more for it. I don't want, or need another laptop or tower in my home. Small, quiet, and reasonably powerful. Simple.

digitalnicotine
Mar 25, 2008, 11:12 PM
I'm also hoping for a mini update, but haven't been actively watching for it, as I had no idea it was "overdue". I set aside the funds, and forgot about it, as I'm certain that when it is released, I'll find out within days, and will be good to go. I'm getting one as an additional computer for connecting to an HDTV, so I suppose it's a lot easier for me to either be patient, or get the current model.

OP: I hope it comes soon on your behalf, and meets the specs you're hoping for.

katejones
Mar 25, 2008, 11:28 PM
Just wait it out, screw buying one till they do, I decided last year I'd buy a mini or a macbook pro whichever came out first. So I have MBP now, but I still want a mini even though I have no use for one.

crontab
Mar 25, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm also hoping for a mini update, but haven't been actively watching for it, as I had no idea it was "overdue". I set aside the funds, and forgot about it, as I'm certain that when it is released, I'll find out within days, and will be good to go. I'm getting one as an additional computer for connecting to an HDTV, so I suppose it's a lot easier for me to either be patient, or get the current model.

OP: I hope it comes soon on your behalf, and meets the specs you're hoping for.

Thanks for the kind words. I too can afford to wait on the sidelines for as long as I can stand it. I'm a big fan of Apple, in spite of the fact that this purchase would be my first Mac. It's just a shame that competitors like Asus are bringing better products to market that forces me to consider NOT getting my first Mac - see related post from today or http://promos.asus.com/US/evensite/Nova/index.htm

Sure, I don't get to play with Leopard, but I have made this long and I am sure I can get my all-time favorite, Ubuntu, running on Asus's new toy and be plenty happy.

Good luck to you as well.

digitalnicotine
Mar 26, 2008, 03:16 AM
It's just a shame that competitors like Asus are bringing better products to market that forces me to consider NOT getting my first Mac - see related post from today or http://promos.asus.com/US/evensite/Nova/index.htm

Sure, I don't get to play with Leopard, but I have made this long and I am sure I can get my all-time favorite, Ubuntu, running on Asus's new toy and be plenty happy.

Good luck to you as well.

I went and checked out the Asus, and although I do like a few things about it, I am not liking a lot of things. First off, the price for what you're getting, and the lack of information about it on the site. I wanted to know if I could upgrade the hard drive and ram but it didn't list how much ram it can handle. It also didn't say how much integrated video ram. Vista instead of OSX. The black version is nice but wth were they thinking putting on orange accents on the white version? heh

The processor puts this in tier with the low end current model Mac Mini, but it costs significantly more, without any info on upgrade options, and features that any HTPC should come with (remote!). Bigger hard drive, but still a 5400 rpm that I would replace immediately with an even larger 7200 rpm drive on either version. Integrated speakers are usually crap. It's a lot of compromises for a much higher price on a product that is new to market and untested for possible issues. I went from wow this is cool (first glance), to wow this isn't up to par with the Mini. I'd do better with the current Mini than this. Thanks for the link to check out other options, though.

Globetrotter
Mar 26, 2008, 06:36 AM
Where's the outrage already?? No updates!! I want a new Mini and have been watching this thread and the apple store for weeks now. After reading the numerous "is this the Tuesday" weekly threads for months......its really annoying that we still have the same old same old. ARGH!!

So, flamers - flame. I have considered my actions here and am ready - but it had to be said. Done.

Annoying, but what can you do?

Just wait it out, screw buying one till they do, I decided last year I'd buy a mini or a macbook pro whichever came out first. So I have MBP now, but I still want a mini even though I have no use for one.

And now we know why Apple products do so well :D

phatjoe
Mar 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
I went and checked out the Asus, and although I do like a few things about it, I am not liking a lot of things. First off, the price for what you're getting, and the lack of information about it on the site. I wanted to know if I could upgrade the hard drive and ram but it didn't list how much ram it can handle.

I read a few reviews on the Asus Nova. I believe one mentioned that opening the system voids the warranty. Also that it is very hard to open it up...

chrstphr
Mar 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
I couldn't wait for the update so I pulled the trigger and bought one, ship in 24 hours : )

VoodooDaddy
Mar 26, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'll tell you why, because I want my cake and I want to eat it too. There is no reason I should have to make such a drastic a compromise as you put it.

And I want my car to get 400 miles per gallon, and I want gas to be .50/gal, and I want a $100,000 raise....

My parents told me over and over growing up, "what you want and what you get are 2 different things." I dont go here or there demanding a company satisfy MY needs. If I want the product I buy it, if not, I buy something else. Get over yourself for 2 seconds, Apple isnt here to coddle you alone.

Excellent start at mac-rumors BTW.

Cave Man
Mar 26, 2008, 10:37 AM
Where's the outrage already??

:p

Cave Man
Mar 26, 2008, 10:43 AM

The upgrade won't be all that drastic. 802.11n, 128 vRAM (still shared), and likely 8 gig RAM max.

Look, I'm not expecting to play a game like Crysis on this thing, but what about a "middle of the road" game like Civilization IV - hell yeah.

It plays the best game ever made without any problems - Quake. ;)

So take a look at what the game recommends:

<snippy, snip, snip...>

Sure, does the current mini meet the minimum specs, yes. But it also goes to show you that it already is outdated.

So? Wait or buy something else.

Expecting a brand new mac mini to be more than capable of playing a game such as Civ IV should not even be in question. For my money, all I want is a well-rounded piece of technology at the time of purchase.

Buy an iMac or Mac Pro.

Now, before I get hammered about it, why the mini then? I realize if I purchase a MBP that we would not be having this little discussion. For me, two things make the mini a better choice: price and form factor.

Well, I guess you have to make a choice. Take it or leave it.

Kosh66
Mar 26, 2008, 10:47 AM
You'll NEVER play GPU intensive games on a Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is made to be CHEAP. CHEAP means Intel built-in graphics, the slowest processor, with no expandability, which is the opposite of what you want for gaming. It's always going to be that way for the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini isn't made for the gaming market. You can't make a product conform to you (well you can, to a point), you have to buy what you need.

And as for a Mini update, it is apparently being prepared http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/21/eating_our_words_apples_mac_mini_to_rock_on.html

Of course, it's probably not high on Apple's priorities.

crontab
Mar 26, 2008, 11:26 AM
And I want my car to get 400 miles per gallon, and I want gas to be .50/gal, and I want a $100,000 raise....

My parents told me over and over growing up, "what you want and what you get are 2 different things." I dont go here or there demanding a company satisfy MY needs. If I want the product I buy it, if not, I buy something else. Get over yourself for 2 seconds, Apple isnt here to coddle you alone.

Excellent start at mac-rumors BTW.

LOL! Touche! I was waiting for that and you are right. My apologies to the forum for my rant. I am aware that many of you here are sick and tired of these types of threads. The other choice for the thread subject that I was considering was:

"Don't read this thread if you are sick and tired of people whining about no updates", but then where would be the fun in that?

iTattoo
Mar 26, 2008, 11:28 AM
I've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time now, and a recent convert from PC to Mac back in August when the iMacs were last updated. I would have jumped ship to Mac land much sooner, but I need a reliable way to run a IE only website I use for work, Parallels 3.0 and the new aluminum mac coming out at nearly the same time tipped the scales. While I love my 24 inch 2.8G iMac, I would have much rather bought a similar spec'd Mini if such a thing was available (I understand it may have had to been bigger or more "Cube Like"). This has become more apparent the past few weeks when I've had 3 significant hard drive failures that resulted in dragging my 25lb not so portable iMac through the mall into the Apple Store. While I'm new to apple, they are not new to my home, we currently have a macbook (would love to replace that with an MBA once they have a decent amount of onboard storage) and an original G4 mini, which is struggling under the load of leopard now.

I agree with the OP that mini is way over due for a refresh, and perhaps as has been suggested else where, a Mac Mini and a Mac Mini Pro for those who don't need to pay for a new monitor, and want a machine with moderate power.

I hope that Steve, and the rest of his gang soon come to the realization that their headless offerings are too polar, and somewhere in the middle there is a sweet spot that will satisfy a growing middle class of computer users.

crontab
Mar 26, 2008, 11:42 AM
You'll NEVER play GPU intensive games on a Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is made to be CHEAP. CHEAP means Intel built-in graphics, the slowest processor, with no expandability, which is the opposite of what you want for gaming. It's always going to be that way for the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini isn't made for the gaming market. You can't make a product conform to you (well you can, to a point), you have to buy what you need.

And as for a Mini update, it is apparently being prepared http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/21/eating_our_words_apples_mac_mini_to_rock_on.html

Of course, it's probably not high on Apple's priorities.

Sadly, I have to agree with your opinion and outlook. Hey, can you blame me for dreamin' a little out side the box? Admit it, if they somehow managed to cram an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB into a mini that would be cool as you know what!

Honestly, if they would just update it the mini with what the MB has, Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM, I would likely buy the darn thing and be satified with playing Solitaire occasionally. Besides, I have had a dedicated windoz box just for gaming for years with latest hardware - that is what I am really sick of.

JayLenochiniMac
Mar 26, 2008, 11:47 AM
Besides, I have had a dedicated windoz box just for gaming for years with latest hardware - that is what I am really sick of.

Why would you be sick of it? That makes no sense. Having a dedicated windoz box for gaming is the way to go.

za9ra22
Mar 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
.... I am aware that many of you here are sick and tired of these types of threads. ....

Can you imagine what a mess the Mac mini would be if there were any attempt made to please the individual desires of users? It would be twice the size, five times the cost, and be a waste of money for 99% of the public for whom it was designed to actually appeal.

I can't say I'm sick and tired of these types of threads, but it mystifies me that there's anyone seriously waiting on an update to what is by design and intention, the entry-level Mac designed to appeal to people who want exactly that, an entry-level system that does what it needs to do in order to meet the needs of average users.

So what if it contains out-of-date technology? I'd rather that (and so would the average buyer) than having to spend far more to get into MacOS at the cheapest reasonable price.

In the end, it's like any other mass-production consumer item - it is targeted at a market segment that the manufacturer thinks is appropriate (after not inconsiderable market research without doubt) and is engineered to fit the profile of that market. That's why it doesn't get much in the way of Apple's attention, because it doesn't need it in order to fulfill it's purpose in the product line-up, and why when it does get upgrades, they're generally fairly modest and lack anything of a startling nature. It's already $100 too expensive to fit the market perfectly, adding better internals would simply push the price up or risk increasing cannibalization of iMac sales.

I, for one, want an entry-level Mac that the market can bear, which given the present economic condition means at the lowest possible price. If the system doesn't suit, there are other Macs that undoubtedly will, so it's up to the individual to decide whether to pay more for the system of choice to meet the expectations they have - not to demand improvements that might get them the system they want, but mean the rest of us have to pay more than necessary for one into the bargain.

err404
Mar 26, 2008, 12:09 PM
When the mini was release, it was the MB internals in a small box (sans the wireless n controller). I would expect the update to be essentially current MB internals in the same mini form factor.
I have a MB with GMA950 and have compared it to a current MB with x3100 and came to this conclusion: Once you look beyond the specs on paper, in the end your experience will be nearly identical post-update.

Sure a few things will be faster like video encoding, but the mini was never intended as a work horse.

I'd recommend just buying a refurb now. If it's not fast enough you can return it or sell it on ebay after the update. These little guys hold their value quite well.
(I dont think Apple charges a restocking fee on refurbs)

crontab
Mar 26, 2008, 12:17 PM
Why would you be sick of it? That makes no sense. Having a dedicated windoz box for gaming is the way to go.

That used to be my exact sentiments and a large part of why I haven't been an avid Mac user all these years. But tell me, as soon as discussions venture into the subject of gaming, why IS the answer a Microsoft platform. I understand thats the reality of it today but WHY. I hate that this is a matter of fact.

Truth is, I love unix/linux and want another choice other that buying a console or maintaining a windoz box. I have tried linux and wine but it really is not worth the hassles.

The last straw for me was Microsoft's decision to only release DirectX 10 with Vista and not offer it to previous versions. It used to be you get the latest game and either you install the latest DX version from the media or go get it from MS. Now, it's becoming - go get latest OS. Which by the way, yeah I forked out money for Vista - and it is a complete waste. Actually runs games slower than XP. Hoorah for bloatware.

MS simply does not have any competition for PC gaming right now and hasn't for WAY to long - when is that gonna change? I have been hoping that with Apple's gains in market share that it would start.

QCassidy352
Mar 26, 2008, 12:21 PM
Sadly, I have to agree with your opinion and outlook. Hey, can you blame me for dreamin' a little out side the box? Admit it, if they somehow managed to cram an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB into a mini that would be cool as you know what!

Honestly, if they would just update it the mini with what the MB has, Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM, I would likely buy the darn thing and be satified with playing Solitaire occasionally. Besides, I have had a dedicated windoz box just for gaming for years with latest hardware - that is what I am really sick of.

Sadly, if they put the 8600 GT in there you would still not be playing Civ IV because Aspyr has not yet fixed the game so it will run on the 8600. :p

That aside, I agree with you that the mini is horribly outdated. It went to intel in feb. 06, and has seen TWO updates since then, meaning that if it were updated tomorrow, it would still be getting updated less than every six months, on average.

Combine that with the fact that it started out using the absolute lowest end tech (it was a core solo 1.5 and core duo 1.66 when the macbook was core duo 1.83/2.0) and it really lags badly behind. Yes, it's the cheapest mac, but not by enough, relative to its severe neglect compared to every other mac model.

I like the mini, and would like to see it stay around. It's a great form factor and a nice entry level computer. But personally, I would never buy one unless they either dropped the price or made it basically comparable to current macbooks. It's not that it's *bad,* but what you pay for what you get is not good.

flopticalcube
Mar 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
But personally, I would never buy one unless they either dropped the price or made it basically comparable to current macbooks. It's not that it's *bad,* but what you pay for what you get is not good.

Which is why I always recommend waiting for a cheap refurb. I bought the 1.66/60GB model for $439 under refurb last year. That was an acceptable price point for me.

vansouza
Mar 26, 2008, 12:55 PM

Not so, having given my first gen Intel mini away, I want a new one. A really buff new one.

crontab
Mar 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Sadly, if they put the 8600 GT in there you would still not be playing Civ IV because Aspyr has not yet fixed the game so it will run on the 8600. :p

Hey, thanks for pointing that out. Cannot live without Civ IV!

fanspeed
Mar 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
I bought a mini back in dec. 05, it's price allowed a blue collar slob like me to get into a mac. have a new I mac now. just glad they had the mini at the time i bought one. nuff said

crontab
Mar 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
I agree with the OP that mini is way over due for a refresh, and perhaps as has been suggested else where, a Mac Mini and a Mac Mini Pro for those who don't need to pay for a new monitor, and want a machine with moderate power.

I hope that Steve, and the rest of his gang soon come to the realization that their headless offerings are too polar, and somewhere in the middle there is a sweet spot that will satisfy a growing middle class of computer users.

I bought a mini back in dec. 05, it's price allowed a blue collar slob like me to get into a mac. have a new I mac now. just glad they had the mini at the time i bought one. nuff said

I agree with fanspeed and others that the current mini should stay lower end and help keep the entry price as low as possible for an entry mac.

iTattoo actually nailed it. What I am looking for does not exist - a Mac Mini Pro. Look at the lineup of macs - 2 choices for headless! There is too much disparity between mini and mac pro period. What I'm looking for would fall between these two. I like the idea of a Mac tower as much as Mini Pro.

What do you guys think?

VoodooDaddy
Mar 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
I agree with fanspeed and others that the current mini should stay lower end and help keep the entry price as low as possible for an entry mac.

iTattoo actually nailed it. What I am looking for does not exist - a Mac Mini Pro. Look at the lineup of macs - 2 choices for headless! There is too much disparity between mini and mac pro period. What I'm looking for would fall between these two. I like the idea of a Mac tower as much as Mini Pro.

What do you guys think?

This has been discussed ad nauseam here. Apple does what Apple does to benefit their bottom line. They arent concerned with filling every niche in the marketplace. Their cash cows are notebooks and iMacs. They arent about to cut into that by offering more in-between choices with desktops.

PNW
Mar 26, 2008, 07:49 PM

I'm all for keeping the bottom end mini for exactly those reasons, but there are 4 base iMacs why can't there 3 or 4 base minis giving those of us who want a little more some options as well

This has been discussed ad nauseam here. Apple does what Apple does to benefit their bottom line. They arent concerned with filling every niche in the marketplace. Their cash cows are notebooks and iMacs. They arent about to cut into that by offering more in-between choices with desktops.

Oh please, standard desktop computers (as opposed to say, all-in-ones) aren't a niche market. Those of us dissatisfied with Apple's hardware offerings don't think the idea of an upper end consumer level desktop, whether it's a mini with a decent dedicated GPU or the mythic mid-range tower.

VoodooDaddy
Mar 26, 2008, 08:09 PM
Oh please, standard desktop computers (as opposed to say, all-in-ones) aren't a niche market. Those of us dissatisfied with Apple's hardware offerings don't think the idea of an upper end consumer level desktop, whether it's a mini with a decent dedicated GPU or the mythic mid-range tower.

Niche for Apple. I think the majority of people are happy with Apples offerings and buy what fills their need. Its the small minority (you and others) that bellyache over what you think Apple should be putting out. Again, they do whats best for them, not what you want. And I believe that they are making some good decisions.

Have they EVER offered a WIDE array of choices for desktops? Nope.

takeabyteoutta
Mar 26, 2008, 11:12 PM
That used to be my exact sentiments and a large part of why I haven't been an avid Mac user all these years. But tell me, as soon as discussions venture into the subject of gaming, why IS the answer a Microsoft platform. I understand thats the reality of it today but WHY. I hate that this is a matter of fact.

Truth is, I love unix/linux and want another choice other that buying a console or maintaining a windoz box. I have tried linux and wine but it really is not worth the hassles.

The last straw for me was Microsoft's decision to only release DirectX 10 with Vista and not offer it to previous versions. It used to be you get the latest game and either you install the latest DX version from the media or go get it from MS. Now, it's becoming - go get latest OS. Which by the way, yeah I forked out money for Vista - and it is a complete waste. Actually runs games slower than XP. Hoorah for bloatware.

MS simply does not have any competition for PC gaming right now and hasn't for WAY to long - when is that gonna change? I have been hoping that with Apple's gains in market share that it would start.

Apple's just beginning to draw developers over with its recent computer sales success. The EA deal was the first sign of progress in this respect. Who knows, we may even see Bungie come back to Mac now that its broken away from microsoft.

clyde2801
Mar 27, 2008, 06:10 AM
Niche for Apple. I think the majority of people are happy with Apples offerings and buy what fills their need. Its the small minority (you and others) that bellyache over what you think Apple should be putting out. Again, they do whats best for them, not what you want. And I believe that they are making some good decisions.

Ummm...Macbook Air? Let's face it, until Steve pulled out the manila envelope, you probably would have made the same arguments about why didn't Apple make an ultraportable. Funny thing is, Leo LaPorte and a bunch of others in the mac community publicly poo-poo'ed it, and now it's supposed to be the new in status symbol.

If Apple wants to do something, they will do it well, and in a manner that no one else has ever thought of. Getting them to want to do something is the trick.

Jcoz
Mar 27, 2008, 07:06 AM

I'm new here, but I've been reading this thread for a day or two, and I must say I dont understand you or other naysayers' angle on this at all. The Mini is something apple HAS ALREADY, and there is absolutely nothing wrong asking for a bit more out of a company like this. Considering the products they have come out with in the last several years, it certainly isnt too much to ask for a respectable update to the Mini.

There is no reason to try and shush people up for expecting more out of a company....especially on a forum. I dont think anyone (or at least not many) would argue if I say that this unit is outdated and underpowered for its price tag.

Apple is making money hand over fist these days, so I say IF you are going to continue to offer the Mini, stop bending people over on the price tag. Either drop the price, or update it. Either one would make 90% of interested parties happier about purchasing it.

Its ridiculous for someone else to say "shut up and take what thier giving you"...people are asking for an update on an internet forum, not standing outside apple headquarters with torches and pitchforks....

digitalnicotine
Mar 27, 2008, 07:29 AM
(snip) people are asking for an update on an internet forum, not standing outside apple headquarters with torches and pitchforks....

Heh. Welcome to MR. :D

Jcoz
Mar 27, 2008, 08:17 AM
Heh. Welcome to MR. :D

Thanks, happy to have found the place!

m1stake
Mar 27, 2008, 08:34 AM
It's not stupid to want to get what you pay for. The GMA 950 is old.

Don't expect the X3100 to be much better though.

VoodooDaddy
Mar 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
There is no reason to try and shush people up for expecting more out of a company....especially on a forum. .

So lets just have these daily threads where people bitch and moan about the mini and lack of a tweener product? Yes thats a better solution.

Have at it folks. Use this thread as your own personal complaint department. I wont come back in because the whining over the mini is getting really old.

crontab
Mar 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
So lets just have these daily threads where people bitch and moan about the mini and lack of a tweener product? Yes thats a better solution.

Have at it folks. Use this thread as your own personal complaint department. I wont come back in because the whining over the mini is getting really old.

OK VoodooDaddy, what would you have us do then? First of all shut up and stop whining - we get that. What next, shell out $2299 for the cheapest configured Mac Pro because its the only headless offering that surpasses most of our computing needs and wants? Thats ridiculous.

One thing we can do is try to communicate to the masses and hopefully Apple - via forums like this one - that there is an omission of a product offering, call it a "niche" if you want, that would appeal to many of us.

I respect Apple's moxie of "you'll buy what we decide to sell and like it" but at the same time "give the people what they want" already.

I have money - I want to spend it - I'd like to give it to Apple - I want to own a Mac - Mr. Jobs, would you please give me a reason to give you my money?

Power to the people.

Jcoz
Mar 27, 2008, 10:22 AM

I've been lurking and reading for weeks, finally joined this week. As a member of 4 other forums (different subject matters) let me tell you that if you think the amount of criticism is rough on this site, try some other ones. This site is probably the most positive forum iv'e ever visited.

Go to avs and you'd think they have never made a decent flat screen tv. Visit my favorite college teams forum after a loss and you'd think the world was ending. A little criticism on a bit of a sore spot in the apple lineup (IMO) is hardly nit-picking, and doesnt seem to take up as much space on the forum as you imply.

I personally just think they should either keep the thing up to date, or discontinue it.

Its tough when you're forced into a decision between over-paying (maybe even grossly at this point and time) for the Mini you WANT, or WAY overpaying (based on needs here, not quality) for a notebook, or to have to venture into or stay in the windows world :eek:

EDIT: That statment was not meant to offend anyone who has recently bought a Mini, so apologies in advance if it does, its JMO.

Cave Man
Mar 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
OK VoodooDaddy, what would you have us do then? First of all shut up and stop whining - we get that. What next, shell out $2299 for the cheapest configured Mac Pro because its the only headless offering that surpasses most of our computing needs and wants? Thats ridiculous.

His point is that bitching here won't help you any. If you want to complain, here's where you need to go:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html
steve.jobs@apple.com

crontab
Mar 27, 2008, 11:19 AM
His point is that bitching here won't help you any. If you want to complain, here's where you need to go:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html
steve.jobs@apple.com

Thank you Cave Man. I will take your advice and urge others to do so as well. My compliments to a very tactful and positive response to all of this.

Hopefully, others will follow your example in making the same recommendation as opposed to posting their own complaints and bitches.

iTattoo
Mar 27, 2008, 12:02 PM
Thank you Cave Man. I will take your advice and urge others to do so as well. My compliments to a very tactful and positive response to all of this.

Hopefully, others will follow your example in making the same recommendation as opposed to posting their own complaints and bitches.

Ok - I sent him a quick email - I'm sure he gets tons of these each day, but here it is none the less.

Dear Mr. Jobs,

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for the entrepreneurial sprit you brought with you when you came back to Apple. The products that have come out of Apple in the past decade have been nothing short of remarkable.

We currently have 3 Macs in our home (24-in 2.8 iMac, MacBook and a Mini) as well as 5 iPods, we've also purchased a 24-in iMac for my mother, and have been instrumental in opinion swaying with several other Mac purchases within our family over the past 12 months, all but one being conquest purchases from the PC world.

The concern I'm writing to you today has to do with monitors and my iMac. As you are no doubt aware, there is a change in consumer attitude toward the environment in which we live, and I count myself amongst these consumers. The typical monitor has a much longer lifespan than the useful life of a computer, and with an all-in-one approach like the iMac, I will have to recycle the monitor far before its end of life because the underlying computer is obsolete. My concern for our environment leads me to want to use my monitor for two or even 3 computer refreshes.

The current Mac Mini is a great offering, as is the Mac Pro, however, they are both at the far ends of the performance spectrum, one geared for a light computer user, and the other for high processor and graphics intensive use. I fit into the middle ground, I do some video and graphics work, but not enough to warrant buying the Mac Pro.

As you are also no doubt aware, a mid range computer without the all-in-one approach would also have a much lower price point than a comparable iMac, and would help the more switchers come on board.

I leave my request with you, and hope that this can become part of Apple's "Green" strategy, and you and the company can get traction for this product on the switcher front, the environmental front, and the of course the gross margin front.

All the best,

Brad

PS. Still patiently waiting for my iPhone ... I hope the negotiations are going well, and there will be something for Canada about the time of 2nd generation release later this year.

rhett7660
Mar 27, 2008, 12:19 PM
I am in the same boat, I want a mini, but not for me for the wife. So I can finally rid our house of the vista. Yes the room it is in, makes me sick, I get nauseas, and I start trembling, not to mention the hot flash's and utter terror, sort of like it is possessed or something. Waiting for it spew out green vomit across the room. Almost like it knows I am coming for it, to get rid of it, to rid our house of its evil vial presence.

But anyways,,,,, yes bring on the new Mac mini please.....

elcid
Mar 27, 2008, 12:31 PM
It has been deteremined that he does read those emails, and for that reason wish people would only send him important email. Granted I cant enforce it but whatevs.

The mini needs to be updated, but when it comes to their product line is pretty much set. They only listen to outcry when stupid things happen like the Vid Card debacle when the new Mac Pro comes out.

Complaining about it to apple really isnt going to do anything.

digitalnicotine
Mar 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
A lot of these opinions regarding what Apple is and isn't willing to do kind of amuse me. I am baffled as to how people try to box in a company who's philosophy is to think outside the box. This means, they will most likely come up with products we weren't expecting. Any speculation beyond that, is guesswork. It's easy to look at the past 10 years, and feel confident you know how Apple "thinks". But how realistic is this approach?

Do you all work for Apple and have inside information into their research and development? Are you Jobs' personal assistant, and therefore know which emails are important, and which are not? Do you know for a fact that Apple employees ignore sites such as MR, and have no interest in listening to what their customers want? Or are you merely a Mac owner (fanatic?), and feel righteous in tearing down others who inquire about, or desire certain product updates that would better fit their needs? I don't recall anyone in this thread asking for a product that doesn't already exist. I have only seen those who are wishing for an update for the mini, and those who are telling them that they are stupid and wasting their time. Have I missed anything?

If threads like this are so annoying, why not refrain from clicking and responding? Imagine all the space that could be saved if people stopped whining about what they consider whining, and just allow people to express their thoughts, when they are clearly within the sites guidelines?

vansouza
Mar 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
A lot of these opinions regarding what Apple is and isn't willing to do kind of amuse me. I am baffled as to how people try to box in a company who's philosophy is to think outside the box. This means, they will most likely come up with products we weren't expecting. Any speculation beyond that, is guesswork. It's easy to look at the past 10 years, and feel confident you know how Apple "thinks". But how realistic is this approach?

Do you all work for Apple and have inside information into their research and development? Are you Jobs' personal assistant, and therefore know which emails are important, and which are not? Do you know for a fact that Apple employees ignore sites such as MR, and have no interest in listening to what their customers want? Or are you merely a Mac owner (fanatic?), and feel righteous in tearing down others who inquire about, or desire certain product updates that would better fit their needs? I don't recall anyone in this thread asking for a product that doesn't already exist. I have only seen those who are wishing for an update for the mini, and those who are telling them that they are stupid and wasting their time. Have I missed anything?

If threads like this are so annoying, why not refrain from clicking and responding? Imagine all the space that could be saved if people stopped whining about what they consider whining, and just allow people to express their thoughts, when they are clearly within the sites guidelines?

+1
I am so glad I held out, you said it best.

rhett7660
Mar 27, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but if we are not whining........ well nevermind :rolleyes:. No rush for me. When it comes it comes.......

clyde2801
Mar 27, 2008, 04:23 PM
It's almost as annoying about the people who whine about people whin-oh, wait...

crontab
Mar 27, 2008, 05:03 PM
It's almost as annoying about the people who whine about people whin-oh, wait...

LOL - I'm glad that SOME of you folks have a sense of humor and aren't taking this stuff too seriously! Let's all get along and have some fun.

We all want Apple to dominate the market and eventually become Skynet instead of Microsoft don't we.....err... never mind.

VoodooDaddy
Mar 27, 2008, 10:01 PM

Then keep all the whining to 1 thread. Imagine all the space saved if everyone that whined did a search for fellow whiners and kept everything confined to 1 thread.

digitalnicotine
Mar 28, 2008, 01:54 AM
Then keep all the whining to 1 thread. Imagine all the space saved if everyone that whined did a search for fellow whiners and kept everything confined to 1 thread.

I think we post ideas about changing the way the site is run here (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66). Good luck.

alphaod
Mar 28, 2008, 02:42 AM
Just bought a Mac Mini about 2 days ago. I hope they come out with the new ones soon, because right now it's a bit under powered.

I kind of want more RAM.

jaybrad
Mar 30, 2008, 10:54 PM
Your wish may be coming pretty soon, Best Buy's web site shows "backordered" for the Mini with a 1-2 week ship date. :D

alphaod
Mar 31, 2008, 12:46 AM
Your wish may be coming pretty soon, Best Buy's web site shows "backordered" for the Mini with a 1-2 week ship date. :D

Nice. I have high hopes it will be this Tuesday. I mean why not? It's Apple's 30th aniversary and it's a Tuesday.

shiato storm
Mar 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
Nice. I have high hopes it will be this Tuesday. I mean why not? It's Apple's 30th aniversary and it's a Tuesday.

I thought it's 30th birthday was 2 years ago?

Zygon Gambit
Mar 31, 2008, 09:09 AM
If there's no update this Tuesday, I'm buying the first refurb I find in the UK store. This absolutely guarantees that there will be no update this week.

crontab
Mar 31, 2008, 09:12 AM

Now that sounds promising - call it the perfect storm for updates...

But would they really want to release on April Fool's Day???