Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Im not even sure what im looking is called so i will do my best to describe it, im very new to this actually i dont even know if this is the right place to post this, sorry in advance if its not.

I want to do some light animations/videos and i have no idea where to start. Things like the Apple startup intro video i wonder how to make things like that. I also want to start in photoshop as well. If i spend enough time with this can i teach myself the basics and go from there.

What programs to use? (beginner, intermediate etc)
what computer is recomended as well? ( MB/P, iMac)

Thanks in advance for your help.
If wasnt clear ill try to add more detail.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Adobe Flash. May not be able to do things like the intro movie but is very capable. (It doesn't have as many effects rather its more frame based)

HDhead

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Flash, After Effects, Combustion. All of them will get you there. I think The latest Photoshop (video version) also has some animation features.

But this is all 2D cell animation.

If you're interested in 3D and enrolled in a school you may be able to get an educational discount for Maya, 3D Studio Max or Lightwave. All are great 3D packages. 3D takes some learning curve but it's great fun.

And then there are traditional animation techniques that also employ computers nowadays like stop motion.

chinarider

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Stock animations

FYI - I just started a small library of stock animations just to play around with. Digital Juice (.com) has an inventory clearance sale going on - Check out their site. Animations and music that are normally $69-$99 are sold for $9.99.

The selection changes slightly every day, and I only find a volume I want every few weeks or so, but it may help you or anyone else out here looking for stock stuff. They also have sales on Boris FX and such ($149 I believe right now)

Not for everyone but well worth a peek.

T

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Can i purchase Motion individually instead of with Final cut?
or equvilant programs out there?
or beginner programs?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Can i purchase Motion individually instead of with Final cut?
or equvilant programs out there?
or beginner programs?

no you can not purchase motion indivdually.....
I put my vote in for Adobe after effects. Great program. Decent learning curve and a not so decent price ;)

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Things like the Apple intro video are sort of a mix of 2D and 3D. As mentioned, After Effects is great for 2D animation (as well as many other functions), and Blender is wonderful and free for 3D graphics.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Flash, After Effects, Combustion. All of them will get you there. I think The latest Photoshop (video version) also has some animation features.

But this is all 2D cell animation.

Not really 2D cell animation, more motion graphics and effects animation, with a limited amount of 3d. Videos such as the os x intro videos can be completely done in AE. (In fact, I would bet that they were.)

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Thank you all for your help but this little idea of mine seems too expensive for me right now. I know blender is free but it's just not what i'm looking for. More a a dumb-down version of AE or Motion ideally.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
Well, it is possible to simulate some easy Motion-like behaviour in Final Cut Express I believe. (At least it would be possible in FCP). By putting different graphical elements on different tracks in the timeline and keyframing stuff like size and position you can create a 3D effect.

Although it's in no way as easy as in Motion nor possible to get the more advanced results. You could probably create some fairly great clips if you have the patience though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.