PDA

View Full Version : iPod authorization question.

mymemory
Nov 5, 2003, 05:18 PM
I'm about to get an iPod, but...

If I load all my songs in to the iPod and then I sell the computer I used to do that. Can I download all those songs again in to the new computer?

Just wondering.

How does the authorization work in that case?

thanx

zimv20
Nov 5, 2003, 05:50 PM
i assume you're talking about the authorization of songs you've bought from the iTMS.

just make sure to de-authorize the mac itself before selling it. you're allowed to have those songs on 3 machines, plus the ipod.

btw, i'd recommend backing up all the songs on an external drive. if something happens to your ipod, you cannot d/load those songs from iTMS again for free.

LimeLite
Nov 5, 2003, 06:16 PM
Rights of songs you've purchased from the iTMS are as follows (to the best of my recollection):

1. Use on up to three computers.
2. Unlimited burns.
3. Burns of specific playlists up to 10 times.
4. Use on an unlimited number of digital devices. (meaning you can have the song on as many iPods as you want.)

However, once you put the song on the iPod to listen to it, you can't really get it back off, though I think there are some hacks to make that possible. If you want to store songs on your iPod until you can put them on another computer, put them on in hard drive mode.

And yeah, de-authorize the computer so that you don't lose the ability to authorize them on 3 computers that you own.

rainman::|:|
Nov 5, 2003, 06:35 PM
i'll assume you're NOT using the iTMS, as you're in venezuela. Legally, you must remove all MP3 or AAC music files, they're going to be illegal if you give copies away. But as long as they're not protected AAC (if you ripped them, they're not protected), it's technically possible to leave them on a computer and copy them to the new one, either by HD or iPod hack... i would load the songs onto the new computer before deleting the old ones, if i were you, just in case your iPod chooses that moment to die...

but, ahem, you have all of the CDs, so you could just re-rip them to the new one ;)

pnw