Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Hi, I am looking for a good HTML application that allows me to format everything myself, but does the coding for me in the background. That way, when I save it as an HTML file, everything displays as it should on a web page.

I have tried Taco HTML edit, but it makes me type in the coding myself. If I have to do it myself, it's not a huge deal; I have some background in HTML. I just prefer to save time and find an application that does it for me.

Thanks in advance!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This is simply notes for a client of mine, generally consisting of bulleted lists and hyperlinks. I already have Dreamweaver for my more serious web tasks, but I'll give it a try if I cannot find a lighter application.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
MS Word can export documents as webpages, right? (Never used it, but I hear it does)

True, it does. I tried it and it had some weird issue of adding random small hyphens in places, which was annoying. But yeah, I'll go with Dreamweaver or Google Docs. Thanks for your help!

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
No, not NVU... Kompozer. As NVU says, it hasn't been worked on since 2005 but Kompozer's up and running with a fairly good support forum as well.

http://www.kompozer.net/
The best choice for websites is to code by hand.

For pete's sake, why? :eek::confused::eek:

I'm no real web designer, but I would have thought something as sophisticated as Dreamweaver would be able to code well. I'm an idealist, and just assumed and hoped that it WOULD... after seeing the mess Golive made of one of my last websites. (Someone here nearly crapped their pants when I asked for some help and they were forced to look at my code. Eeeewwww!)

I could type < a href="url address" > name < /a > OR I could just click a button. That's why I love WYSIWIG. But you're saying it's not up to standard yet, and messes up the code?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Just because you're coding by hand doesn't mean you have to type every character. Programs like BBEdit and TextMate offer ways to speadily type up code. I very rarely ever need to type angle brackets for tags because of scripts and clippings I created for BBEdit.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
So... is Dreamweaver better at coding than GoLive was? There seems to be some very advanced functions in DW... so does it still keep the code tidy?

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
The biggest reason is for standards compliant. Up until recently, most if not all WYSIWYG have been horrible at writing good HTML and CSS that was compliant with the standards. Although, the latest WYSIWYG editors from Microsoft and Adobe are great at standards compliance...but those tools can over complicate the code and theoretically making things slow. I like have 100% control over the code and know exactly what is going on. I've had bad experience with editors that seem to format things strangely and insert strange code when there really was no need for it.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You might give RapidWeaver a shot. It's not too expensive, had some nice templates, and is really easy to use.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
MS Word can export documents as webpages, right? (Never used it, but I hear it does)
no no no no no. you'll end up with the worse looking code you'd ever seen!

if you already have dreamweaver, just use that. for the simple, tedious tasks (like lists and paragraphs), it'll do the job perfectly and get the pages out much faster than if you were hand-coding (which would be easy, but inefficient.. if anyone suggests that hand-coding would the way to go with this, they're an elitist with poor time management.. I bet your bosses love that :rolleyes:)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
if anyone suggests that hand-coding would the way to go with this, they're an elitist with poor time management.. I bet your bosses love that :rolleyes:)

I don't think typing <li> before and </li> after each line uses a great deal of time, especially if you use find/replace to do it ;).

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
if anyone suggests that hand-coding would the way to go with this, they're an elitist with poor time management.. I bet your bosses love that :rolleyes:)

I use BBEdit, which lets me add tags without ever typing and < or > ever. TextMate has the same type of things. Just because you're hand coding doesn't mean you're typing ever character by hand. I can generally keep up with any WYSIWYG editor with all of the shortcuts that I have. I use AppleScripts and clippings within BBEdit. Just because you can't hand code quickly, doesn't mean others can't ;)

macsrules

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Here are four really good choices.

1. Freeway 5 http://www.softpress.com/

This is the application that I started using and Yes it creates the code for you, all you have to do is design your pages. If you know Quark Xpress then you will pick this application up really quick. It is closer to iWeb on steroids. Where as dropping flash movies in iWeb is harder too do, Freeway will take flash and quicktime movies without any problems. It is very powerful and easy to use, no need to know CSS or HTML, a lot of actions you can add to the program.

The downside, if you know any of the web languages you will feel like your hands are tied because you can not edit the code directly, this might have changed in the new version, I started using version 3. You can insert code into the HTML pages through a window pane. Price is $250

2. Dreamweaver - http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/?ogn=EN_US-gntray_prod_dreamweaver_home

A lot more freedom, larger learning curve than Freeway. More freedom since you can edit the code directly. A lot of actions out there you can add too it.
Price is $399

3. Aptana - http://www.aptana.com/

This is what I am currently using. They have a open source version, the price is right. Very powerful if you can hand code.

I combine it with this http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/ cssedit to create a really powerful application.

4.Komodo Edit - http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml They have a open source version now.

I use this for quick edits.

Saliwa

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
Use Dreamweaver if you want crappy html to get rendered. Use BBEdit, Textamte, Smultron, to code your own clean website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.